PDA

View Full Version : 360 Apprisals at Work

Hatchman
21st July 2015, 11:28 PM
Hey OzGolf Brothers, who's been involved is 360 appraisals at work.
What do you think of them/it?

I know Aka wasn't a fan :D

I've been dobbed in at work to go through this along with a few other middle Management and then go to Melborne for a few days of training er I mean brain washing.

Sydney Hacker
22nd July 2015, 05:23 AM
Depends if you like confrontation or not and the maturity of the participants. I would suggest they should be limited to the senior management level only initially as if they are not done properly they can be quite damaging.

Daves
22nd July 2015, 07:50 AM
Depends if you like confrontation or not and the maturity of the participants. I would suggest they should be limited to the senior management level only initially as if they are not done properly they can be quite damaging.

What hack said. It can be very effective, but it needs to be done very carefully and maturely. There should be a very experienced facilitator leading your sessions.

Lagerlover
22nd July 2015, 07:58 AM
Hatch rating something???

God help them!!

WBennett
22nd July 2015, 08:26 AM
360 feedback should be something done on a regular basis, not just as a one off confrontational approach.

I take the boss to coffee most weeks - and its a good way to give each other informal feedback, gain insight into the reasons behind decisions and offer constructive feedback that may influence future decisions.

3Puttpete
22nd July 2015, 09:49 AM
Ah, the off site coffee. Often referred to around here as "managing relationships"

Beats working for a living

Sydney Hacker
22nd July 2015, 10:39 AM
Ah, the off site coffee. Often referred to around here as "managing relationships"Beats working for a living Managing up, an art in itself...

chappy1970
22nd July 2015, 11:50 AM
Managing up, an art in itself...

In my opinion, 'Managing Up' is one of the skills a manager (junior, middle and senior) should spend a lot of their time enhancing.

Not to mask your own deficiencies by bluffing your line manager, but to be able to influence effectively and build confidence at the next level of management.

fWIW I have had several 360 feedback sessions and whilst at times confronting, they are a very real guide as to how you are viewed by peers and management.

WBennett
22nd July 2015, 03:09 PM
fWIW I have had several 360 feedback sessions and whilst at times confronting, they are a very real guide as to how you are viewed by peers and management.

I had a manager who took a day out of his life to give me a very harsh but thorough appraisal. It was a great wakeup call.

Yossarian
22nd July 2015, 03:11 PM
Maybe we could institute these of ozgolf.

Johnny Canuck
22nd July 2015, 03:29 PM
Maybe we could institute these of ozgolf.

Jim already started it with your sig and Zigwah let his feeling be known.

Hatchman
22nd July 2015, 06:47 PM
Thanks for your input guys.
My own personal thoughts on the whole thing are :roll:. I'm not interested in climbing the greasy pole for a higher position so not sure what value it will really be to me.
What does annoy me more than anything is the not asking to be involved and the here you have to do this approach. That doesn't surprise thou, it's always been the way. The things we do seem to be more about pleasing a quota rather than the courses/training delivered.

I've posted below the format my company is running with.
Feel free to make further comments on what is listed below.

Following the invitation to the upcoming Management to Leadership Program (M2L), please find below instructions on completing the pre-work for the program.
360 degree feedback - nomination form
Regarding the 360-degree feedback, I have attached a feedback nomination form for you and ask that you complete as soon as possible or by Monday 27th July, and return directly to ************** Please Cc me in so I can mark you as completed.

The required nominees for feedback are:
· 1 x Direct Manager
· 1 x Self
· 3 x Direct reports - If you do not have 3 direct reports please forward to all you do have and include more indirect reports/peers.
· 3 x Peers

The 360 degree feedback questionnaires from both yourself and your nominees are due to be completed (via online) by no later than Friday 7th August.

I have attached for you a sample email template you may wish to send your “nominees” when asking them to provide you with 360 feedback.

Personality Questionnaire
You will shortly receive an invitation to complete a personality assessment which also needs to be completed by Friday 31st July. This should take about 25-30 minutes to complete.
Once all the assessments have been completed, Consultants from Lixivium will be in contact with you, in order to provide feedback on your results.

In summary, you need to complete the following:
· Nomination forms Due Monday 27th July 2015
· Personality Assessment Completed by Friday 31st July 2015
· Self-rating on 360 Completed by Friday 7th August 2015
· One-on-one feedback session Conducted between 17th – 27th August 2015

Hux
22nd July 2015, 08:22 PM
If you have a good Emotional IQ the 360 will not be a real surprise to you. First one I did years ago I overheard two guys talking about their feedback. subordinates had made comment about the lack of faith, vindictive nature etc of them. Their comment was "I know who that is and I'm gunna pay them back". Nearly wet myself and then realised how good they were as telling you a lot about yourself.

I like them - there are some really powerful tools around and just because you have no desire for advancement doesn't mean you shouldn't be trying to do your best......
just sayin