PDA

View Full Version : newbie from SA

solidute
15th July 2015, 06:36 PM
hi all,

the most regular i have ever played was about 15 years ago when i was 14/15 y.o. and was a junior member. since then i went to boarding school and the city courses were too expensive and too hard for me to get to to continue my golfing. have never been great but in my last junior year (which was the first year of resumption of junior golf at our small club) there was sufficient numbers and varying skills to have a first and second division junior grades, i won the second division on a shootout after a horrid start to the season. we played 9 holes every sunday and as most of us werent that great we were using 18hole handicap for our 9 holes. i started around 120 off the stick for 9 holes but got down to 40-50 by season end. im looking to get back into the game on a regular basis but dont want to commit to competition as i work shiftwork and would struggle to get out as often as id like. my clubs arent anything special having started with just 1-2 gifts and a few purchases before getting a set that was left in a friends driveway (yes it was probably left for a good reason:smt087) i nearly had a set of callaway knock offs for nothing but my mates brother sold them, just last week i grabbed a full set of old, really old, clubs for a grand total of $35 that ended up giving me a "full set". once again they arent anything special just a complete set to get me back into the game. once i can get out regularly/often the missus might let me upgrade to a decent set but until then theyll do.

so after a quick flick around on the forum before i posted i think i am a long way below the level of most on here but im more than willing to stick around and see if i can lift my game to a good standard.

cheers n beers

damo.

highballin
15th July 2015, 06:44 PM
Welcome Damo just keep your eye on the pro shop some real bargains to be had sometimes.

Some great courses to be played around Adelaide and we try and play one a month. More than welcome to join us the golf isn't always great but the company is always good.

Hard_Pan
15th July 2015, 06:58 PM
Welcome Damo. Always nice to have another Crow eater pop up on here.

solidute
15th July 2015, 07:12 PM
Cheers, im yorke peninsula based and have never played in adelaide. Pretty sure my game isn't worth the money to play a fancy course, I'm struggling to justify $220 for my local club and I've heard there's an extra 0 on the end of a lot of city courses. To be honest i think id mostly be a country golfer. Best course I've ever played was Clare and I would've been about 13 at the time. Thanks for the invite though.

Hatchman
15th July 2015, 07:12 PM
Welcome to the nut house. Don't stress about ability or self perceived lack of.
Everyone has to start some where.

Hatchman
15th July 2015, 07:13 PM
Double post.

solidute
15th July 2015, 07:34 PM
I can pull an ok shot every now and then hahaha just not more than 1 or 2 a round usually

wazamac
15th July 2015, 08:15 PM
Welcome Damo,
Hope ya have fun browsing the pro shop. It doesn't matter whether your good or bad. Along as you have fun doin' it.
Maybe a weekend on yorkes might be on the cards at a later date ( you never know) but we all know how Hatchman feels about the SCRAPES!!!!

3Puttpete
15th July 2015, 08:20 PM
G'day and welcome Damo,

Don't stress about your lack of ability mate, your state champ isn't even a local and you only post once so you're going better than Hatchy already.

Regards,

Your Champ

Lagerlover
15th July 2015, 09:18 PM
November cannot come quick enough.

3Puttpete
15th July 2015, 09:20 PM
TWSS

oldracer
15th July 2015, 10:55 PM
Another one.....u lot breeding over there:shock:, welcome and as above, have fun in the nuthouse

Hatchman
16th July 2015, 12:24 AM
Welcome Damo,
Hope ya have fun browsing the pro shop. It doesn't matter whether your good or bad. Along as you have fun doin' it.
Maybe a weekend on yorkes might be on the cards at a later date ( you never know) but we all know how Hatchman feels about the SCRAPES!!!!

Just to clarify I really like sand greens. I look forward to the few games a year I have on them.

Where's the home track On Yorkes Damo?

solidute
16th July 2015, 02:02 AM
Ardrossan is where I've called home for the last decade. Have probably only played half dozen rounds here though (very neglectful of me) grew up in tumby bay and played a bit there but cleve was my first course. All up I'd say tumby and cleve I've played equally. But neither since 1997. Might take out a membership here so I've got an excuse to go for a round.

solidute
16th July 2015, 02:17 AM
Sorry for the confusing names. Signed up on the computer then logged in through tapatalk on the iPad and it used a different name, so solidute and damian.lawrie.9 are both me and so is solidute01 apparently [emoji37]

Lagerlover
16th July 2015, 07:24 AM
No need to apologise, you're not the only one on here with personality disorder

Hatchman
16th July 2015, 08:30 AM
Ardossan is great scrapes course that has fairways way better than many Adelaide clubs.

The Ministers Uncle is a long term member there. I play in the Open every year plus the odd game in between when visiting nan.

I put the feelers out earlier in the year to get out for a game on the black stuff as most S.A OzGolfers have never experienced the wonders of playing Sand Greens. Ardrossan would be the venue. Not sure they would handle the natural grass fairways most other scrapes courses have to offer.

spanner039
16th July 2015, 08:50 AM
Boy theres a few now from SA

Welcome

Steve57
16th July 2015, 08:56 AM
Boy theres a few now from SA

Welcome
We got 3 in 1 with this one!
Welcome aboard Damo.

AndyP
16th July 2015, 09:31 AM
Welcome solidute.damien.lawrie.9.solitude01.

Send me a PM, and I will merge the users together into the personality that you prefer.