PDA

View Full Version : Club distances

driftn69
13th July 2015, 03:25 PM
Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a nice 3 wood ( thinking nike vapor). But before I shell out 280 clams I'm wondering if the advise I have been given is correct. So I'm a amature at best and all I'm looking for at this stage is a club to bridge the gap of a 3 hybrid which is a total 220m and a driver smudge under 290m both TM SLDRs.
So I went to drummond and had a hit of a SLDR 3 wood. So on the tracker off the floor it went 220m the exact distance of my 3 hybrid - also backed this up by then hitting the store 3 hybrid. Then I hit the 3 wood off a tee and 240m was close enough to the distance. Great so that seems to get me a extra 20meters when needed. However I asked the fitter if that's the case should I then be able to hit my 3 hybrid off the tee and gain the extra 20 meters? He said no it will be the same as off the floor. Would this be correct?

Captain Nemo
13th July 2015, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't bother getting one if you hit your hybrid said far.
Just my 2 cents.

Jazz18
13th July 2015, 03:35 PM
I definately hit my 3 wood further off the tee than off the deck. The angle of attack and hence the spin generated is quite different. Try and get a demo on the course too. Launch monitors are good for comparisons but you never really know what you're getting till you've hit it on the course.

driftn69
13th July 2015, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't bother getting one if you hit your hybrid said far.
Just my 2 cents.

Because I should be able to hit the 3 hybrid the same distance on the floor and tee as the 3 wood? Or because 20m gain difference off the tee doesn't justify buying the extra club?

Captain Nemo
13th July 2015, 04:48 PM
Both.
Ask yourself do you really need it week in week out.

mrbluu
13th July 2015, 05:21 PM
Both.
Ask yourself do you really need it week in week out.
What does need have anything to do with any of our purchases???

Captain Nemo
13th July 2015, 06:49 PM
What does need have anything to do with any of our purchases???

Speak for yourself.....

mrbluu
14th July 2015, 04:02 PM
Speak for yourself.....
Has your account been hacked???

Foburger
21st July 2015, 08:00 PM
The sweetspots of both clubs are quite different, as are the spin characteristics. The hybrid distance wouldn't change that much from tee to fairway because of its shorter shaft length and higher spin number. The 3 wood on the other hand has a sweetspot proportionately higher in the face, so impact off a tee makes a larger difference.
It depends if you need a 3 wood for tee shots, or maybe a 4 wood if it's use will be predominantly from the fairway.