PDA

View Full Version : The loneliness & tedium of a pro golfer

coalesce
13th July 2015, 10:45 AM
Interesting interview here with Eddie Pepperell - world number 105 and recent qualifier for the Open.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/33391487

dan
13th July 2015, 01:00 PM
where's his caddy if he's lonely?

jimandr
13th July 2015, 01:57 PM
where's his caddy is he's lonely?

Good point. I presume he doesn't have a travelling caddy.

I also wondered where his friends and fellow golfers are while he is feeling lonely. I would have thought that young, relatively struggling players would stick together. Maybe Pepperell is a bit of a loner and/or doesn't travel well.

I guess it is the same as it is with musicians. Some thrive on life on the road, but a lot of them get tired of it very quickly.

dan
13th July 2015, 02:29 PM
I also wondered where his friends and fellow golfers are while he is feeling lonely. I would have thought that young, relatively struggling players would stick together. Maybe Pepperell is a bit of a loner and/or doesn't travel well.

True. Plus how much downtime is there during the week anyway. They pretty much go to the course in the morning and are there for most of the day with other people, playing and practicing. It's only at night when he might be alone.

goughy
13th July 2015, 02:39 PM
He should have a chat to Tiger. I reckon he might have a few suggestions on how to while away the lonely nights away from the family!

dan
13th July 2015, 02:49 PM
He should have a chat to Tiger. I reckon he might have a few suggestions on how to while away the lonely nights away from the family!
He would need tiger's profile and bank balance to get the bitches.

Shane788
13th July 2015, 04:46 PM
I've always thought it would suck to be the guys that go around the local pro ams playing for 3-4k prize money and sleeping in their cars but playing in U.S. Opens and British opens is so far from that.
Seems like a sook, go get a normal job and see what you enjoy more...

goughy
13th July 2015, 06:30 PM
He would need tiger's profile and bank balance to get the bitches.
There's a class of citizen out there for everyone. Would be plenty of freebies, even if they happen to look like Jay Leno.

Captain Nemo
19th July 2015, 09:56 PM
Interesting interview here with Eddie Pepperell - world number 105 and recent qualifier for the Open.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/33391487

Kids going bloody well today!!!

LoveGolf2012
19th July 2015, 10:05 PM
Kids going bloody well today!!!

Got a beautiful swing to May I add!

oldracer
19th July 2015, 10:11 PM
Leishman rockin on as well

dee cee
20th July 2015, 02:03 AM
Why can't he feel sad and lonely and like he's doing it tough??? Valid reasons and who are we mere mortals to judge. He certainly is no world beater and as he said, money isn't necessarily everything. How many times have any of us had to have a mate pay our bills?

I wish them all luck. It comes with great dedication and sacrifice to do what they do. The rewards can be rich, power to them.

Dotty
20th July 2015, 07:14 AM
If he joined the tour's bible study group, then he wouldn't be lonely.

FuzzyJuzzy
20th July 2015, 08:20 AM
Finally got around to reading that BBC piece. What an insightful, intelligent lad! You'd be hard pressed to find many other professional sportspeople (other than Geoff Ogilvy) who harbour this level of philosophical thought - let alone be able to articulate it in writing. And he's certainly not too shabby a golfer too. I'm a fan.

LarryLong
20th July 2015, 12:54 PM
Finally got around to reading that BBC piece. What an insightful, intelligent lad! You'd be hard pressed to find many other professional sportspeople (other than Geoff Ogilvy) who harbour this level of philosophical thought - let alone be able to articulate it in writing. And he's certainly not too shabby a golfer too. I'm a fan.

I'll second that. Good luck to him. A golfing Ed Cowan?

Anyway, I don't think for a moment that a middling, or even up and coming golf pro's life would be one that I would covet, even if I wouldn't be able to resist the opportunity if I had anywhere near the required ability.

Daves
20th July 2015, 05:20 PM
I'll second that. Good luck to him. A golfing Ed Cowan?

Anyway, I don't think for a moment that a middling, or even up and coming golf pro's life would be one that I would covet, even if I wouldn't be able to resist the opportunity if I had anywhere near the required ability.

Anyone that has done lots of work travel can probably relate. The novelty wears off pretty quickly, and if you are working rather than being a tourist, you can't get home quick enough after a while.

timah!
20th July 2015, 06:11 PM
Anyone that has done lots of work travel can probably relate. The novelty wears off pretty quickly, and if you are working rather than being a tourist, you can't get home quick enough after a while.

This.

Johnny Canuck
20th July 2015, 06:57 PM

I absolutely love to travel.

I just had to spend a week away from the family for work. It was great for a couple days, but I was dying to get home by the end of it.