PDA

View Full Version : Driver - hitting it everywhere - persevere or leave it in the bag?

aussieashley
12th July 2015, 06:44 PM
Once a week golfer. I've never been a straight hitter but lately my driver has really left me. Spraying it all over the place. I don't really have time to go to the range and work on it.
I've recently changed courses and bad drives are punished. It's putting pressure on the rest of my game and I feel like I'm on the back foot right from the get go.

Do you just keeping going with it and hope it comes good or leave it in the bag?

I've had some success with the 3 wood but even that is getting inconsistent. 5 wood or 4 iron is my next option.

Wardy101
12th July 2015, 06:49 PM
Having been one to have your issue before I have persevered. I have adopted a consistent setup routine including checking that grip is same everytime and then ensure I dont feel like I am over-swinging the club. At this stage I have lost about 20m but it is much easier getting the lost metres back when you are on the fairway rather than playing out of the bush.

PeteyD
12th July 2015, 06:50 PM
Buy a new one in true ozgolf fashion.

3oneday
12th July 2015, 06:51 PM
If you find a solution let me know.

You need a driver in the bag, maybe just be more selective and don't pull it every time.

Captain Nemo
12th July 2015, 06:53 PM
I've been in the same boat recently and was hitting it so bad I changed coaches for a fresh approach.
Has taken a while but I'm getting back to where I used to be and hitting a draw rather than a week high fade...
Get a lesson, might be something so minor in your setup.

Yossarian
12th July 2015, 06:57 PM
Come sway with me. I reckon you are swaying off it rather than turning.

aussieashley
12th July 2015, 07:18 PM

Haha, this thought has crossed my mind.

If you find a solution let me know.

You need a driver in the bag, maybe just be more selective and don't pull it every time.

I'm in two minds on some holes. A 400m par 4, where I get a shot - I can hit driver, 6 iron or 7 iron if I hit the fairway & par it a lot of the time. Miss the fairway and it's an unlikely par, probably bogey or sometimes worse.
Or I can hit 5 wood, 5 wood. Probably make some pars, save a few up and downs to make par, but will make a few bogeys hitting 5 wood into the green.

If I'm having a bad round, I feel like I need a par to get one back. But miss the fairway with the driver, and the rot continues.
So do you hit driver and go for the par, or take 5 wood and make the safe bogey?

Daves
12th July 2015, 07:41 PM
Get a lesson/swing review Ash, it will something basic in your setup or action, probably a sway or similar like Yoss suggested.

You should also try playing with something other than Driver in any case, so that you have options when you need it. Some of my lowest scores have come when I have left Driver in the bag, and used 3 wood or #1 Hybrid off the tee. These days I use Driver on a maximum of 9 holes in a round. On those holes where a bad drive likely leaves me without a shot, I take a safe option and seem to make par far more often than I used to.

LarryLong
12th July 2015, 08:40 PM
Can you hit the driver straighter with a 3-quarter swing? That could be an alternative to using the same wayward swing with the 3-wood (unless you have a 3 wood that you're more confident with, of course).

Mind you, the only thing more soul-destroying than missing the fairway with the driver is playing safe and missing the fairway. :)

mrbluu
12th July 2015, 08:53 PM
I've got a 12* SLDR driver u can buy ;-)

Seriously try teeing it lower like u would a 3 wood and try to hit little cuts. Should go low and have a touch of fade and nice and straight.

oldracer
12th July 2015, 09:15 PM
I've been in the same boat recently and was hitting it so bad I changed coaches for a fresh approach.
Has taken a while but I'm getting back to where I used to be and hitting a draw rather than a week high fade...
Get a lesson, might be something so minor in your setup.+1, get a lesson from a good Driver pro, I have found some are good with some parts of the game but not all, I have been told to tee up and hit on the up, has been working, bit of stuff on the interweb that the centre point, i.e. bottom of the swing arc is the sternum so tee the ball inside the lead foot, as usual, but start your swing and therefore the bottom of the arc, 8-10 inches behind the ball, plenty of stuff on youtube along these lines

live4golf
12th July 2015, 09:24 PM
Ball will be too far forward in your stance, move it back 3cm. Invoice is in the mail.

Hatchman
12th July 2015, 09:32 PM
Can you hit the driver straighter with a 3-quarter swing? That could be an alternative to using the same wayward swing with the 3-wood (unless you have a 3 wood that you're more confident with, of course).

Mind you, the only thing more soul-destroying than missing the fairway with the driver is playing safe and missing the fairway. :)

This is so true for me. 9/10 safety tee shots end up in just as much trouble some times worse as bombing the driver for me. It does my head in big time and poisons my round.

markTHEblake
13th July 2015, 06:15 AM
Choke down an inch or two and swing harder. What have you got to lose if you are already hitting it everywhere?

driftn69
13th July 2015, 03:12 PM
I went out last weekend and hit 3 dead straight 280-290 meter drives for the game. Come this week I lost 4 balls in the creek from my driver in 1 hole! I still don't know what I was doing wrong or what changed from last week. After going home and thinking about it I think I was trying to over hit the ball to get the distance....

backintheswing
13th July 2015, 03:34 PM
I went out last weekend and hit 3 dead straight 280-290 meter drives for the game. Come this week I lost 4 balls in the creek from my driver in 1 hole! I still don't know what I was doing wrong or what changed from last week. After going home and thinking about it I think I was trying to over hit the ball to get the distance....

290 metres? Is that all carry?

driftn69
13th July 2015, 04:21 PM
290 meters? Is that all carry?

I get where your going with this :( No, total distance. Hopefully by summer ill be good enough to come out and have a hit with some of you all.

backintheswing
13th July 2015, 04:27 PM
Not having a go. I just know that the majority of the East Coast has been very wet, so no run. I am in North Qld and we are getting about 2 metres run maximum.

Where do you play?

driftn69
13th July 2015, 04:32 PM
SA - but im going to Port Douglas this weekend for a weeks holiday. Hopefully the missus lets me play at least a few rounds up there.

Kaniss
15th July 2015, 02:02 PM
290m drives? Try slowing your swing down and think about your down swing more. Seems to me like your trying to hard to hit big drives and your spraying it now. Slow down a bit.

driftn69
24th July 2015, 07:50 PM
Im heading back to the range tomorrow. Ive had 3 games of golf this week (AL) and havent hit one good drive in any of them! Ive tried everything and whatever I do i cant figure out what im doing wrong. It was only a few weeks ago i was 100x more consistent and getting amazing distance i ididnt think was possible.

Lagerlover
24th July 2015, 07:56 PM
Sounds like you need a 9.5 913 D3 with an ADDI 6S. Might even know someone who could help you out..

3Puttpete
24th July 2015, 08:04 PM
Sounds like you need a 9.5 913 D3 with an ADDI 6S. Might even know someone who could help you out..

Is this an EOI?

Lagerlover
24th July 2015, 08:06 PM
I think we've had enough of the silliness with all that. Time to move on.

990B Luva
24th July 2015, 09:20 PM
290m drives? Try slowing your swing down and think about your down swing more. Seems to me like your trying to hard to hit big drives and your spraying it now. Slow down a bit. This. 100%. I went through a stage of having playing partners bet how many fairways I was going to miss by (record was 3 holes left). Last time I took my own advice, I hit 11/12 fairways.

shanksalot
1st August 2015, 10:03 PM
Is your grip good ?[ie when you hold up the driver in front of you is the face vertical? check against pole ,sign post etc.]

Are you aiming properly.[ ie look at a spot about 1m in front of ball directly in line with your target and put feet parallel with this line, or even pull right foot back a couple inches to encourage draw]
are shoulders parallel with feet?

is your ball position good? set up with feet together with ball in front of left toe. step right first. then a little step left. ball should end up inside left instep.

Ball height . same every time. push ball on tee with driver next to ball. have equator of ball no higher than top of driver face.[ play with height till you find the ball hitting just above centre of driver face]

Are you balanced? rock back and forward on your feet till you are balanced evenly front to back.
when you swing , keep this balance. this will help you stop swaying and rocking and help you hit the sweetspot.

All above should be in your pre shot routine.

Downswing softly. Ripping hard from the top will make the club release way too early and take your powah with it. [and cause over the top pulls and slices]

WAIT till the club is releasing naturally then turn them hips reasonably hard.[75- 80%]
you will need soft floppy wrists to let the club release at maximum speed

once you get it , dont get greedy and go harder , for more distance ,as this will screw your timing with ugly results

enjoy your 300m straight high drive with 2m draw , over and over and over again!!.
Make time to get t o the range.
work on one or two things at a time.

mrbluu
2nd August 2015, 06:51 AM
AA get a SLDR mini....

dee cee
2nd August 2015, 11:29 AM
Get a lessen off a reputable pro. And get a fitted driver if money is available

razaar
2nd August 2015, 01:56 PM
Once a week golfer. I've never been a straight hitter but lately my driver has really left me. Spraying it all over the place. I don't really have time to go to the range and work on it.
I've recently changed courses and bad drives are punished. It's putting pressure on the rest of my game and I feel like I'm on the back foot right from the get go.

Do you just keeping going with it and hope it comes good or leave it in the bag?

I've had some success with the 3 wood but even that is getting inconsistent. 5 wood or 4 iron is my next option.Mate, good golf is about confidence in what we do and confidence in the club in our hand. The more fails we have the more our confidence levels are destroyed. If we haven't the time or the inclination to devote effort to working it out and improving our performance, then move to something where some confidence exists. Confidence breeds success and success breeds confidence. In a previous life I won regional titles and club championships leaving the driver at home (that was before metal woods).

Hatchman
5th August 2015, 11:39 AM
The modern drivers sold off the shelf have longer shafts these days. That playing length is longer than average that the Pros who make a living out of the game use. Longer shaft = longer leaver = hit it longer when you get it right. The flip side is longer shaft = harder to control and hit it well consistently. It's all about the one great one we hit for sales.

For an experiment butt cut another shaft you like shorter and see if you get better control. The only thing you have to lose is a few yards on your best one but you may surprise yourself and get more with consistency.

gotitat last
5th August 2015, 05:57 PM

I've had some success with the 3 wood but even that is getting inconsistent. 5 wood or 4 iron is my next option.
hi aussie - this may sound a bit controversial, but it does not cost you a brass razoo to at least think about it .a lot of the so called experts out there will tell you that you hit the driver with the clubhead going upwards, as they say that at 1.5 degrees loft, you have to "help" the ball to get airborne and the greatest clubhead speed is past dead bottom of arc. what you must realize is this- i think you are overdoing this to such an extent, that you are not getting the necessary backspin on the ball to spin, which is very important to make it "fly" and the directional issue is self explanatory with having the ball too far forward.

probably, the easiest way for you to test my theory is to try and set up like you would with a longish iron in relation to ball position.
at least then, if it doesn't for some obscure reason work, you can maybe then revert to Youtube lessons.

MAZA68
6th August 2015, 05:05 PM
I think your missing the wide opne fairways of the GCCC

aussieashley
6th August 2015, 06:18 PM
I think your missing the wide opne fairways of the GCCC

Haha, this is true. My game is more suited to courses that don't have many trees.

timah!
6th August 2015, 06:21 PM
You were hardly spraying it when we played, what's changed (other than the course)?

aussieashley
6th August 2015, 06:55 PM
You were hardly spraying it when we played, what's changed (other than the course)?

I'm not sure really. I haven't had a lesson, which was probably one of the most suggested things in this thread.

I've been trying to swing a bit easier lately and also shorten my backswing a little, which seems to be helping. I think I'm finding the middle of the driver a little more and not missing fairways by as much.
My bad drive is still the one that costs me, and I'm still hitting maybe a couple a round that find serious trouble. Mostly either hazard or deep in the trees.

timah!
6th August 2015, 06:58 PM
Why though? I've always found things tend to go worse when 'swinging easier' cos it's not as easy to keep everything together the way you're used to. (Which is why my driver has been woeful for the last two years. Thinking that playing less golf means needing to swing it easier blah blah blah. I miss my old driver swing!)

aussieashley
6th August 2015, 07:21 PM
Why though? I've always found things tend to go worse when 'swinging easier' cos it's not as easy to keep everything together the way you're used to. (Which is why my driver has been woeful for the last two years. Thinking that playing less golf means needing to swing it easier blah blah blah. I miss my old driver swing!)

I'm more concentrating on taking a slightly shorter backswing and just swinging a touch easier. For me that seems to keep it straight or missing left. I find if I start to go harder at the driver that's when I start to miss both left and right.

timah!
6th August 2015, 07:22 PM
Fair enough. I'm hardly a swing guru. My mates and I hang more shit on each other than we play good shots these days!

Where have you joined up?

Hutchy
6th August 2015, 07:27 PM
Mate I think we have all been there, Try using a 5 Iron till the confidence comes back, most par 5s are only 3 5 irons and most par 4s only three 7 irons.

Using the irons may help get your swing back on track and give the confidence a boost, Just one lesson will do the world of good also, couple of pointers you can work on at the range will help no end.

aussieashley
7th August 2015, 06:53 PM
Fair enough. I'm hardly a swing guru. My mates and I hang more shit on each other than we play good shots these days!

Where have you joined up?

Ended up joining Burleigh Golf Club in Feb this year. The handicap has slipped out from 6 to 9 since I've been there.

timah!
7th August 2015, 07:02 PM
Ended up joining Burleigh Golf Club in Feb this year. The handicap has slipped out from 6 to 9 since I've been there.

Did J-Whizzle follow suit?

Blowing out a little isn't a bad thing, although I can't seem to do it haha.

aussieashley
7th August 2015, 07:18 PM
Did J-Whizzle follow suit?

Nah, I'm pretty sure he's still at the GCCC.
I thought numbers would drop off as the end drew near at GCCC, but I think there's still plenty playing.

timah!
7th August 2015, 07:19 PM
Nah, I'm pretty sure he's still at the GCCC.
I thought numbers would drop off as the end drew near at GCCC, but I think there's still plenty playing.

Fair enough. He was talking Gainsborough at one point, but I'm not sure that's a great option anymore.

aussieashley
7th August 2015, 07:30 PM
Fair enough. He was talking Gainsborough at one point, but I'm not sure that's a great option anymore.

What's happening at Gainsborough? Course condition?

timah!
7th August 2015, 07:31 PM
What's happening at Gainsborough? Course condition?

Yep. Has been rubbish for months.

Johnny Canuck
7th August 2015, 11:48 PM
Get someone who knows a golf swing to look at you. It could be something dead simple that you would never pick up on.

MAZA68
9th August 2015, 06:40 PM

Burleigh will certainly test your game Ash, alot tighter than GCCC and a way better quality. Looking forward to playing it in pennants this year.

MAZA68
9th August 2015, 06:42 PM
Yep. Has been rubbish for months.

Interesting, must be chasing members as well, just put an offer to GCCC members with a discount membership. Did hear though they were looking at a bunker refurbishment in the near future.

timah!
9th August 2015, 06:43 PM
Interesting, must be chasing members as well, just put an offer to GCCC members with a discount membership. Did hear though they were looking at a bunker refurbishment in the near future.

They need to sort fairways and greens first!

awhc
18th September 2015, 10:32 AM
My driver is also my worst enemy atm :(

mrbluu
18th September 2015, 12:15 PM
My driver is also my worst enemy atm :(
Mine too.

Coldtopper
18th September 2015, 01:46 PM
Better upgrade then

mrbluu
18th September 2015, 02:59 PM
Better upgrade then

Nah. Just need to hit it better....Bag lock til after club champs!!

Hatchman
18th September 2015, 05:57 PM
Nah. Just need to hit it better....Bag lock til after club champs!!

Just like when a sporting code club is under performing and the Club President stating to the media that the Coach has the full support of the board.

Changes happening next week for sure now :razz:

JADO75
18th September 2015, 06:12 PM
Anyone on here or seen someone hit it over the back fence at Thornleigh driving range?

Jazz18
18th September 2015, 09:13 PM

This!

awhc
19th September 2015, 12:15 PM
Anyone on here or seen someone hit it over the back fence at Thornleigh driving range?

lol I'll love to see that... You have to have a lot of wind I think.

Sydney Hacker
19th September 2015, 04:33 PM
Anyone on here or seen someone hit it over the back fence at Thornleigh driving range? I would think 1 ball on Pennant Hills Rd would pretty much spell the end of the range!

awhc
19th September 2015, 04:42 PM
Yeah I was there the other day and they were talking about the nets to prevent balls flying over. Shame you can only use a tee downstairs. Hope they will allow tees upstairs soon.

markTHEblake
19th September 2015, 05:10 PM

normally they dont allow riff raff to join.

aussieashley
19th September 2015, 05:37 PM
normally they dont allow riff raff to join.

Haha, they check you out before they let you join. Me and about 4 or 5 other guys had to go to the club one night for a little meet and greet/tour of the club.

JADO75
19th September 2015, 06:19 PM
lol I'll love to see that... You have to have a lot of wind I think.

I was hitting the net at the back on the full 5m from the top with a breeze into us left to right on Thursday so surely it can be done with no headwinds