PDA

View Full Version : Newish to the game - can play ok, but...

driftn69
5th July 2015, 06:39 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post since joining the forum.

Now I'm fairly new to the game. I have been playing once or twice a year for the past 4-5 years. Of recent it's more so twice a week with a day at the range when I can.
Now I've only just started using the swing x swing golf app on my phone and am seeing some real improvement in my game almost to the point where I'm dropping shots every round. So much so that although I only have 4 rounds on my golf app it is giving me a projected handicap of 11.9. Now I have colleagues and friends that have been playing for years are pretty much golf nuts that have higher handicaps. Now to have a handicap of 11.9 is it also normal to mis hit say 1 in 5 shots? Sometimes so badly that its a grubber drive that may travel 40 meters?
How long would it generally take to see mis hits leave my game.

mrbluu
5th July 2015, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the forum and good golfing!!!

The shitty shots will never leave, they just get less..

https://youtu.be/TM6NjM_zmEQ

JADO75
5th July 2015, 09:26 PM
Welcome, 11.9 off the social tees?

driftn69
5th July 2015, 10:50 PM
Yea correct, social tees. I think my projected handicap would be much higher - is just I seem to jag 1-2 long range putts per round for a birdie. I assumed the projected handicap was lower as I have only completed 4 rounds?
I guess it's all part of the game but when I miss hit a shot is a shocker.

Daves
6th July 2015, 06:47 AM
Most bad mishits can be fixed by a decent teaching Pro. Spending a little on a lesson or 2 now will remove some frustrations later, and you are new enough to the game to have not yet completely ingrained bad swing habits.

As others have said, bad shots never totally leave, but you can limit them with a good set up routine and some lessons.

And welcome to the forum.

Dotty
6th July 2015, 07:59 AM
Nice intro and welcome aboard.

Where do you play?

ps. I'm still mishitting 1 in 5 shots after 30 years. Also explains the box of 15 Maxfli XD balls 'won' at the NSW Champs.

driftn69
6th July 2015, 09:34 AM
Thanks all, I have had a a few lessons earlier this year, but it might be time for another few as my game has advanced.
I don't have a membership anywhere but tend to play at the Highercombe course in SA as a local and the pat at glenelg and mawson lakes course as 2 & 3 . I did play the Tenunda pines course over the weekend and that would have to be the best course I have played thus far.

live4golf
6th July 2015, 12:41 PM
Welcome... I mishit 2 shots on every green, all part of the mystique.

mrbluu
6th July 2015, 01:14 PM
Thanks all, I have had a a few lessons earlier this year, but it might be time for another few as my game has advanced.
I don't have a membership anywhere but tend to play at the Highercombe course in SA as a local and the pat at glenelg and mawson lakes course as 2 & 3 . I did play the Tenunda pines course over the weekend and that would have to be the best course I have played thus far.
Join a course and get to SA Champs. The boys will supply u with Kitchener buns, single mums and Hatchy will give u some tips of diving and fashion.

Hard_Pan
6th July 2015, 01:49 PM
Welcome! Always good to get another SA member on this site!

That you say you play Highercombe, the Pat and Mawson Lakes is interesting. Do you live near one, work near the other and the third is near the folks/girlfriend's home?

mrbluu is right, if you're able join a club and play in a few comps; that will tell you where you're really at with your handicap.

green_troll
6th July 2015, 01:52 PM
Nice handicap for just starting playing.
I picked up a golf club 4 weeks ago and mine is approx 34.....lol
Im a hacker.lol

3Puttpete
6th July 2015, 02:00 PM
Good Afternoon Mr Driftn,

Although the locals (Hard_Pan, Hatchman et al) will do their best to welcome you as another SA ozgolfer, it always feels a little more special to have the proverbial welcome mat laid out by someone in the community of a certain standing.

With that in mind I say g'day, make yourself at home.

I apologise for my tardiness but I'm sure you can appreciate I'm a busy man. For someone in my position it's not all easing child hunger and world peace you know.

Sincerely,

Your Champ

Lagerlover
6th July 2015, 02:23 PM
^^^ surely that's infraction worthy..

AndyP
6th July 2015, 05:08 PM
^^^ surely that's infraction worthy..
A lack of respect to an OZgolf champion is infraction worthy.

Welcome driftn.

Lagerlover
6th July 2015, 05:31 PM
CC was a tougher track..

with more credible witnesses.

driftn69
6th July 2015, 06:24 PM
The Pat was the only course I played for years, so I sort of felt comfortable there learning. I work in Mawson Lakes and have temporary accommodation in Williamstown ( not far from Highercombe). I just sold my house and am looking / hoping for something to come up in Bridgewater. If all comes to plan I will join at Stirling gc in the near future.

3Puttpete
6th July 2015, 06:26 PM
CC was a tougher track..

Not for the Champ

Lagerlover
6th July 2015, 07:36 PM
Not for the Champ

Well...runner up.

Hatchman
6th July 2015, 08:49 PM
The Pat was the only course I played for years, so I sort of felt comfortable there learning. I work in Mawson Lakes and have temporary accommodation in Williamstown ( not far from Highercombe). I just sold my house and am looking / hoping for something to come up in Bridgewater. If all comes to plan I will join at Stirling gc in the near future.

Mount Pleasant and Sandy Creek (Gawler) would be closer to Williams Town wouldn't they?
Better quality than Highercombe too.

Jazz18
7th July 2015, 03:08 PM
Most bad mishits can be fixed by a decent teaching Pro. Spending a little on a lesson or 2 now will remove some frustrations later, and you are new enough to the game to have not yet completely ingrained bad swing habits.

As others have said, bad shots never totally leave, but you can limit them with a good set up routine and some lessons.

And welcome to the forum.

C'mon Daves you know this is bad advice. Bad shots are fixed by buying a new, shiny club. Everyone knows that! ;)

Welcome driftin, enjoy the forum. Lots of good blokes on here and they know their stuff.

P.S. nice clip Bluu, very funny.

gotitat last
14th July 2015, 05:32 PM
driftn-if you are really serious about lowering your handicap , just go to the thread "full swing feels". i ,the author, have put a lot of hours research into the mechanics of the "magic" golf swing and basically am now being treated as a folk hero ,but that was after a lot of initial resistance from the constabulary,which is totally understandable as a common human trait is insecurity.
it was probably one of my greatest achievements ,but i can only rest on my laurels at this stage.

Dotty
14th July 2015, 05:41 PM
And a deposed Nigerian Prince will make you very rich.

Evidence please (that this new swing actually lowers one's handicap).

gotitat last
14th July 2015, 06:11 PM
And a deposed Nigerian Prince will make you very rich.

Evidence please (that this new swing actually lowers one's handicap).
dotty-this is not a case of lowering one's handicap. this is a case of whether you want to progress to the ranks of "professional".
i myself cannot take advantage of this , but the younger fraternity amongst us can and must be given a real chance to develop their full potential.
if you need evidence, just study my posts, and then practice those skills, and after that you can give me praise rather than rebuke.

3Puttpete
14th July 2015, 06:12 PM
So negative Dotty

Dotty
14th July 2015, 06:31 PM
driftn-if you are really serious about lowering your handicap , just go to the thread "full swing feels". i ,the author, have put a lot of hours research into the mechanics of the "magic" golf swing and basically am now being treated as a folk hero ,but that was after a lot of initial resistance from the constabulary,which is totally understandable as a common human trait is insecurity.
it was probably one of my greatest achievements ,but i can only rest on my laurels at this stage.

dotty-this is not a case of lowering one's handicap. this is a case of whether you want to progress to the ranks of "professional".
i myself cannot take advantage of this , but the younger fraternity amongst us can and must be given a real chance to develop their full potential.
if you need evidence, just study my posts, and then practice those skills, and after that you can give me praise rather than rebuke.
That's enough evidence for me.

Steve57
14th July 2015, 06:33 PM
You have rebuffed every theory you have had!
Read your posts again because it seems you may have Alzeimers!

coalesce
14th July 2015, 06:33 PM
Let's not pollute another thread please :)

gotitat last
15th July 2015, 07:30 PM
You have rebuffed every theory you have had!
Read your posts again because it seems you may have Alzeimers!
steve-i agree totally with coalesce. why not just try and be a bit more open minded, without the ridicule?
that way we can all learn from each other.
the best way for you to learn is from someone else"s mistakes, so try and take advantage of this, as it is all handed to you on a platter free of charge, ,compliments of my dedicated research.