PDA

View Full Version : someone gave me this putting advice? thoughts appreciated

looseleftie
30th June 2015, 09:13 PM
Hi, first time poster here,

I was practising my putting at a driving range, when a friendly bloke and I began a conversation re putting.. He swore that his game came down several shots when his teacher suggested locking his arms into his rib cage, and to not use his arms (keep them snug into body, with no movement from them at all) ,and turn through hip rotation (hoping this makes sense).. Anyway, I gave it a go, more out of politeness than anything else.. surprise, it actually worked for me. Have been using this for a couple of months now..

Anyway, would love some feedback re this technique, which I have also noticed zero top amateurs and pros golfers use??!?!?!

Love any thoughts on his
Cheers guys

wizard_of_oz
1st July 2015, 12:39 AM
It's unconventional but there's more than one way to skin a cat, if it works for you, no need to change it. Nobody would ever teach to putt like Michelle Wie but it works for her.

Johnny Canuck
1st July 2015, 01:49 AM
It's actually not that unconventional. I had a lesson and one of the keys to his putting stroke was to keep the elbows in tight. No arm movement at all is a bit strange, but the tucked elbows is a good move.

petethepilot
1st July 2015, 07:36 AM
If it works, use it.
Putting is 10%fundamentals and 90% belief!

razaar
1st July 2015, 11:07 AM
Not sure about the hip rotation bit, a slight lateral move of the centre of mass ( centre of the pelvis) to rock the ribcage and shoulders would be more appropriate in putting. The hips turn in golf during a pivot and since there isn't a pivot in putting, why turn the hips? Some of the old champions pre Hogan employed a slight lateral hip movement in their putting stroke.

looseleftie
2nd July 2015, 08:11 PM
Think of it like chipping with slight hip movement, the main difference is here, is that your hands and arms are dead! They don't move, it's all about the hip rotation.. I know it's not prett, still..
I'm a bit of a newbie in golf (on and off for over 2 yrs, more off than on) anyway, I find that I am far more consistant, if u line up well, then u put yourself in a favourable position, each and every time u pick up your putter... Practised today, again, solid putting, accurate, with consistant grouping on practise green.. Time and time again..

I wonder if there are any others out there who putt the same way???

This putting style was given to me by a high 20's handicapper by the way, go figure!! It really seems to work.

I worked at 1m, 3m, and 12m putts, it really is a great way to putt. I'm a newbie hacker, but still, u can see instant results..

razaar
2nd July 2015, 09:22 PM
Looseleftie, are you a female?

looseleftie
3rd July 2015, 07:38 PM
No Razaar, male mate! Why do u ask?

Johnny Canuck
3rd July 2015, 11:38 PM
If it works, go with it. You can never argue with results.

razaar
4th July 2015, 06:28 AM
No Razaar, male mate! Why do u ask?Females tend to have a few personalities.

mrbluu
4th July 2015, 06:29 AM
Hi, first time poster here,

I was practising my putting at a driving range, when a friendly bloke and I began a conversation re putting.. He swore that his game came down several shots when his teacher suggested locking his arms into his rib cage, and to not use his arms (keep them snug into body, with no movement from them at all) ,and turn through hip rotation (hoping this makes sense).. Anyway, I gave it a go, more out of politeness than anything else.. surprise, it actually worked for me. Have been using this for a couple of months now..

Anyway, would love some feedback re this technique, which I have also noticed zero top amateurs and pros golfers use??!?!?!

Love any thoughts on his
Cheers guys
Got a video of your putting stroke?