PDA

View Full Version : Swivelling tv wall brackets

goughy
29th June 2015, 08:18 AM
We've got a real cheap wall bracket in one room that works just fine, and are now thinking of getting one in our other room, but it needs to swivel in one direction. The current tv is on a swivelling stand. I know there are heaps around and they can get quite expensive. The cheap one we have is fine, but it doesn't have to move. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the cheap ones that do move? I'm a bit concerned about how good they'll be with a moving joint, but really don't want to pay a lot.

green_troll
29th June 2015, 09:09 AM
Old plasma or led. Weight? Size?
Cheap ones are ok if not moving on a daily basis.... but its all about what your fixing it too. It can be a lot of weight by the time its swung out from the wall.

Vogels are the best but $$$$$$$

timah!
29th June 2015, 09:40 AM
I bought all ours from eBay. Seller was 'motho' I think.

goughy
29th June 2015, 10:06 AM
Old plasma or led. Weight? Size?
Cheap ones are ok if not moving on a daily basis.... but its all about what your fixing it too. It can be a lot of weight by the time its swung out from the wall.

Vogels are the best but $$$$$$$
Yeah, they are. It'll only need to tilt out about 20ish degrees, but will be moved multiple times a day sometimes. Depends on who's sitting where or making dinner etc. Probably should allow for at least a 50" Ltd down the track but will end up with a 46"lcd when we get it from Rob's parents.

green_troll
29th June 2015, 10:16 AM
Stud or brick wall.? Brick wall no worries.stud can be hard depending on where you wamt the tv to end up.might be able to only pick up one stud-which is no good if its going to be frequently moved.
just some of them when you move them wont be level in thier new position,needing alittle tweak.
Done alot of electronic swing mounts. They are great.remain level. Bit noisy and are over a G atleast
50inch maybe look into double arms instead of single with a nice long HD wall bracket that you can sink some dyna bolts in or at least pick up two studs.

goughy
29th June 2015, 12:20 PM
Stud wall, and what ever bracket I choose I'll be trying to pick up hopefully 3 studs (should be able to as there's a stud about centre of where the TV would go.

gaetan
7th July 2015, 03:20 PM
Hi Goughy.

Alongside BirdieBall, I've had an active interest in an AV Installation business for nearly 10 years. We would wall mount anywhere between 6 and 20 tv's a week. All types of brackets from all sorts of manufacturers. Timber frame, steel frame, brick walls. When it comes to full motion brackets (ones that can tilt, level, and rotate out from the wall) we recommend one brand above all others - OmniMount.

For up to a 50" TV you can pay a few hundred dollars for the appropriate OmniMount bracket but the solidity of the bracket, ease of adjustment, flexibility in lateral placement on the wall is unbelievable compared to the other. Sure all of them can do the job but it you are particular about how it will look, the strength, and the easy of adjustment then look no further. In truth you will find something that works from all the manufacturers but if you are going to consider a better brand like the Vogels then go with the OmniMount.

You won't find them in typical retail stores in Australia. Indeed, I only know of the distributor because we buy direct from them. We've had clients source the brackets themselves online, usually via Amazon. If you need to find a local retailer, let me know and I'll ask the distributor.

Oh, and whether you use OmniMount or another, you will only need to pick up 2 of the timber studs.

Gaetan

mrbluu
7th July 2015, 03:44 PM
I bought all ours from eBay. Seller was 'motho' I think.
I get my TV brackets from them as well but have only bought the fixed ones.

markTHEblake
8th July 2015, 07:49 AM
Mr G. Steel frame house is a bit different, what technique you use for fixing to that?

I have seen some fix a large piece of wood first, to spread the load across a wider area.

gaetan
8th July 2015, 08:35 AM
The sheet of wood to spread the load is a solution but not the prettiest. We avoid it if the wall will be visible eg when walking into the room. The alternative if the steel frame wall needs strengthening (assuming a retro-fit situation) is to remove some of the sheet, insert timber framework, and re-sheet.

However, depending on the bracket, we will mount up to a 65" on a full motion bracket to a steel frame wall so long as we can pick up two studs. Make sure to use expanding hollow wall anchors right in the middle of the c-channel studs. So at least four anchors across the two studs. The frame has no problems with the weight, the only issue is that constant movement of the bracket might possibly cause enough deflection in the plasterboard sheet to result in paint cracking over time.

Clients in this situation when presented with the option will often elect to mount directly to the wall as above rather than go to the expense of adding timber to the wall even though they are aware of the remote possibility of cracking paint. Having said all that we've never suffered a crack. And it does make a big difference if the bracket can be moved easily and smoothly. So if the movement will be frequent it is another reason to use a good bracket.

Gaetan

goughy
28th December 2015, 09:02 AM
Liking the look of this one.
http://www.avaustralia.com.au/omnimount-oc80fm-37-63-flatscreen-full-motion-tv-wall-mount/

gaetan
29th December 2015, 11:10 AM
Liking the look of this one.
http://www.avaustralia.com.au/omnimount-oc80fm-37-63-flatscreen-full-motion-tv-wall-mount/

I haven't used this exact one but given our experience with other OmniMount models I imagine it would be a good choice. Just bear in mind that this model only attaches to one stud so not a solution for steel frame walls.

mrbluu
14th February 2016, 10:48 PM
Guys looking at putting my old 50" plasma in the bedroom and want to put it on a swiveling mount, has anyone has experience with these ones??? I have bought tv mounts off this guy before but not one tjst is adjustable and was worried about the mechanism..

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=371503706567&alt=web

goughy
29th February 2016, 02:44 PM
Hey Bluu, did you end up getting this wall mount?

We're getting a TV in a few days, probably 60" and may not do the wall mount straight away, but I will want to soon. At Harvey Norman they have a Taurus (I think) wall mount that looks very much like the one you linked to. Just wondering if you ended up getting it and how it went?

mrbluu
29th February 2016, 02:50 PM
Guys looking at putting my old 50" plasma in the bedroom and want to put it on a swiveling mount, has anyone has experience with these ones??? I have bought tv mounts off this guy before but not one tjst is adjustable and was worried about the mechanism..

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=371503706567&alt=web
Hey Goughy I ended get one for these. Seems to do the job. My TV is about 45kg.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=371055144058&alt=web

goughy
29th February 2016, 04:27 PM
Cool mate. Will probably suit as I don't think we're getting over 60" and only weighs 25kg. At least if we get the one we're looking at most.

mrbluu
29th February 2016, 04:46 PM
Cool mate. Will probably suit as I don't think we're getting over 60" and only weighs 25kg. At least if we get the one we're looking at most.
I figured get a more heavy duty one couldn't hurt right.

goughy
14th March 2016, 01:57 PM
Ended up getting an even heavier one from that guy Bluu. Bigger tv than its rated to anyway. But went for the same form as yours with heavier gauge alloy. Works brilliantly. Have it out from the wall a bit but it easily pivots for me to see from the kitchen or bench. Happy camper.

mrbluu
14th March 2016, 02:02 PM
Sweet.

Only problem for me is my old 50" TV is way too big for my room.