PDA

View Full Version : Gailes and Wolston Park threatened

Jarro
4th April 2006, 02:41 PM
from the April Golfer magazine :

Both Gailes and Wolston Park golf clubs are under threat from the Queensland governments strategic plan for the Wacol area.

After both courses appear to have escaped emasculation by the various Ipswich motorway schemes, the new threat is real and on the maps.

A newsletter issued late last year on the strategi plan for Queensland governement land at Wacol outlines 4 options which have been exposed for public discussion.

Two openly propose relocation of the courses, one a reconfiguration of both and a third proposes the status quo.

And the state government, at this time, is keeping mum on the subject and apparently it got a serious fright when the likely costs of clubhouse and course relocation were aired.

The Golfer understands club officials have been told not to expect a final decision until at least the middle of the year.

Wolston Park Golf Club president Malcolm Chisolm said his club presented a document prepared by a golf course architect/design company.

"The first meeting was at short notice and we subsequently agreed to consider an amalgamation of the two clubs which would have seen a 27-hole setup. It was later discovered the land would only be suitable for 18 holes"

The combined fields from both clubs for premium competitions such as Saturdays, were far too big for an 18 hole course. And the clubs could be saved any disruption if an apparently nervous developer takes fright and withdraws.

The public consultation period ended on December 22, 2005 and the draft preferred strategic plan is to be released on a date to be announced this year.

Several questions on the subject sent to the Premiers office early last month have not been answered as the Golfer went to press.

Residential development is believed to be part of the plan however the Wacol area is home to several prisons and institutions.

dc68
4th April 2006, 02:45 PM
be interesting to see the $$$$$ figure compared to what rq gets thrown at them.

PeteyD
4th April 2006, 03:05 PM
Ipswich CC. It would be pretty sad if they had to rip the course up at Gailes. Wolston Park is a bit of a goattrack.

Jarro
4th April 2006, 03:29 PM
surely there's enough land there to redo it and have at least 27 holes. Wouldn't that be enough for a combined Saturday comp ??

Moe Norman
4th April 2006, 05:40 PM
wolston park is no loss, Gailes as a former Open venue should be protected if possible.

damoocow
4th April 2006, 10:50 PM
As much as I like playing at Gailes I must say that I think I have had more fun at Wolston Park..............[and I do not mean the Institution]

damoocow

PeteyD
5th April 2006, 10:52 AM
Was that the hole passed the old electro-shock therapy building that you enjoyed damoocow?

Andrew
5th April 2006, 11:28 AM
wolston park is no loss, Gailes as a former Open venue should be protected if possible.

I agree with Thommo, as a former Aus Open venue, it should be protected under special heritage listings that protect the boundary of a property.

PeteyD
5th April 2006, 11:34 AM
Is Gailes the same as it was when it held the open? Or have they changed it. I would like to see it protected as well.

Andrew
5th April 2006, 11:37 AM
Is Gailes the same as it was when it held the open? Or have they changed it. I would like to see it protected as well.

Peter,

There have been changes, but golf courses should be able to come under boundary protection, which keeps the course intact, but allows changes.

Some say the greatest courses, like RMW should be protected from any changes at all.

marcel
5th April 2006, 07:30 PM
I agree with Thommo, as a former Aus Open venue, it should be protected under special heritage listings that protect the boundary of a property.

I expect to see you leading the protesters one day at Moonah Open

Moe Norman
5th April 2006, 07:35 PM
touche marcel, they can alter that all they want but shouldn't put a housing development there!

or maybe they should....

Andrew
5th April 2006, 09:55 PM
I expect to see you leading the protesters one day at Moonah Open

It's been 51 years since Gailes hosted the Open.

Lets see it Moonah Open is there in 51 years.

AndyP
6th April 2006, 08:51 AM
Andrew, I know you've travelled a bit and played a lot of golf courses, but you seem pretty familiar with Gailes.

Have you played there a few times or do you just have a photographic memory and know your stuff?

marcel
6th April 2006, 05:05 PM
You beat me too it marcel but I was going to refer then to The Grand.

I was going to be nasty and say if Andrew were to lie in front of the bulldozers the steeplechase bunkers that resulted may improve the place.

Andrew
6th April 2006, 08:52 PM
Andrew, I know you've travelled a bit and played a lot of golf courses, but you seem pretty familiar with Gailes.

Have you played there a few times or do you just have a photographic memory and know your stuff?

I've played there twice.

I remember absolutely everything, except when I'm arguing with my wife - then she remembers absolutely everything.

markTHEblake
6th April 2006, 11:15 PM
Isnt RQ also a past Open venue?

Moe Norman
6th April 2006, 11:18 PM
it's still there.

Andrew
7th April 2006, 04:45 AM
The Botany course of The Australian Golf Club also held an Open about 100 years ago, but that has half an airport & 50 houses in it now, so I don't think we are going to get that back.:D

markTHEblake
7th April 2006, 09:06 AM
Half of RQ has dissappeared, which is one of the proposals for Gailes. If there was anything in protecting a golf course becuase of its history that precedent has dissappeared out the window.

BrisVegas
7th April 2006, 09:10 AM
yes, but I bet Gailes won't get $10million to redesign and rebuild the course like RQ did.

BrisVegas
7th April 2006, 09:18 AM
Don't forget vegas, a big chunk of that will be chewed up with Clayts design fee. (look i couldn't resist ok)

good on ya thommo. oops, i mean golfer69...

Moe Norman
7th April 2006, 09:19 AM
half is not gone, they lose access to it for a couple of years then get it back when the bridge is finished. they will have 25 holes after completion and perhaps may even have 27 if Clayts can work a miracle.

Moe Norman
7th April 2006, 09:21 AM
Don't forget vegas, a big chunk of that will be chewed up with Clayts design fee. (look i couldn't resist ok) Clayts is a sensational renovator, he's unproven as a designer. Watson's reno's aren't too crash hot, but Robina Woods and Pac Harbour are two decent courses to hang his hat on.