PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Ball

aussieashley
23rd June 2015, 08:34 PM
The golf ball and how far it goes is starting to get mentioned more. Especially in relation to the length of courses nowadays, as well as older courses getting overpowered as they don't have the room to add any length to holes.

Why isn't there more of a push for pro's to use a ball that doesn't go as far? You could still have your Titleist, Taylor Made etc., but they could have a special "Tournament" ball which doesn't go as far.
There are already standards for initial velocity and overall distance but by most standards the pro's of today are hitting it a long way. Is winding back the ball a good idea, or should we leave the long hitters alone?

http://www.randa.org/en/Equipment/Protocols-and-Procedures/Balls/Initial-Velocity.aspx
http://www.randa.org/en/Equipment/Protocols-and-Procedures/Balls/Overall-Distance.aspx

Hatchman
23rd June 2015, 09:46 PM
A very interesting topic for discussion.
Is the gap between the Pro level length they hit a ball and the length good old average weekend Joe hits it getting greater now than lets say the 70's-80's before ball and club technology went boom (talking male golfers here).

Look at the massive disparity in length between average week day Jane and female pro golfers or even top amateurs. At some of the Vardon events we have the Womens Vardon playing at the same course. Had one of the groups playing behind one day and waiting for us to clear the greens on some par 4's before they could tee off. Average Jane would still be taking 3 shots (some more) to reach it.

hippo10
23rd June 2015, 10:41 PM
It's always seemed a strange thing to me that instead of limiting the ball, people deem it smarter to spend millions on lengthening courses.

vader77
23rd June 2015, 11:59 PM
The ball discussion a very valid point, but to me, face tech and total forgiveness of drivers and other woods these days has had a dramatic effect on golf too. i think if you are going to look at the golf ball, look at the club hitting the ball as well. Maybe limit "tour"heads to 430cc to create less forgiveness but at the end of the day - it's all about marketing isn't it?????

markTHEblake
24th June 2015, 12:02 AM
Golf has long resisted making different rules for pro golf. That's why they are not doing it.

simmsy
24th June 2015, 12:14 AM
Didn't they do that with the Groove ruling??

I think they should wind the ball back for tours and maybe high end Ams.

I struggle to see the issue with doing it
Each manufacturer will still have their design but they will be built to the specs required.

Johnny Canuck
24th June 2015, 12:18 AM
The ball discussion a very valid point, but to me, face tech and total forgiveness of drivers and other woods these days has had a dramatic effect on golf too. i think if you are going to look at the golf ball, look at the club hitting the ball as well. Maybe limit "tour"heads to 430cc to create less forgiveness but at the end of the day - it's all about marketing isn't it?????

Taking off 30cc would have zero impact.

mrbluu
24th June 2015, 12:41 AM
Would they use this ball in handicapped pennant??

aussieashley
24th June 2015, 06:29 AM
Golf has long resisted making different rules for pro golf. That's why they are not doing it.

They could just limit the ball for everyone. If you're just an amateur at your local club hitting it 240m, the ball manufacturers will still find a way for your ball to go 240m. It would only affect the longer hitters at a club, which is surely only a small number of people.

aussieashley
24th June 2015, 06:40 AM
They could easily tweak the standards they already have to take say 20m off the current balls for everyone.
In reality, the average Joe won't be affected at all, because he can't hit the current balls far enough & hard enough to reach their limits anyway.

Shane788
24th June 2015, 06:50 AM
They could easily tweak the standards they already have to take say 20m off the current balls for everyone.
In reality, the average Joe won't be affected at all, because he can't hit the current balls far enough & hard enough to reach their limits anyway.

I'm sure the average joe would still be affected somewhat though, even if your not getting 100% out of your premo ball a ball designed to go shorter and still not get 100% of that ball it would be still shorter?

markTHEblake
24th June 2015, 07:16 AM
Didn't they do that with the Groove ruling?? No, they just brought the rule in earlier on those that don't pay for their own clubs.

Scifisicko
24th June 2015, 07:40 AM
The way the fairways are set up for tour events makes it hard to believe anyone cares about excess length.

3oneday
24th June 2015, 08:11 AM
A wedge from the crap is easier than a 7 iron from the crap though.

Hatchman
24th June 2015, 10:30 AM

Can't like this enough.

thecollective
24th June 2015, 11:47 AM

combine that with the latest forged wedges that have crazy grinds and you have balls that hardly release on greens - nothing like what the previous era faced.

I remember watching golf in the 80's - the 'flyer' was a serious consideration for any shot out of the second cut and I saw a lot more balls skipping off the back - these days it is far less apparent.

TC

jimandr
24th June 2015, 11:55 AM
Why don't/won't they limit the distance they are capable of hitting the ball?

The answer is simple.

We, the punters who watch golf, like seeing them smash it a long way.

A number of posters on this forum have rubbished women's golf because the women don't hit the ball far enough to get them interested.

To name some names, I think it would be very strange for people named in our long hitters thread, like Spanner, Matty and Qldhacker to watch on Tv and think they could hit it further than Bubba or DJ. Even stranger would be if they played with them (or any other pro) in a pro-am. I just think the logistical problem of the switchover, determining who is allowed to use the real ball and who is allowed to use the pro ball, is too hard.

And if anyone is asking me, who struggles to reach the 200 marker, to sacrifice some of my distance so that long hitting pro's can play Royal Melbourne without it appearing too easy for them, my answer is no.

To answer Hatch's question, the gulf between super-elite golf and the average Joe is wider than ever. But so what?

aussieashley
24th June 2015, 12:43 PM
And if anyone is asking me, who struggles to reach the 200 marker, to sacrifice some of my distance so that long hitting pro's can play Royal Melbourne without it appearing too easy for them, my answer is no.

To answer Hatch's question, the gulf between super-elite golf and the average Joe is wider than ever. But so what?

I don't think the average Joe would have to sacrifice any length. The ball companies would have enough technology for this not to happen.
Going the opposite way, the R&A has limited the ball now. Why don't they raise the limit?
Would you like to see the pro's hitting 400m drives?

virge666
24th June 2015, 10:20 PM
Ask you have to do is raise the spin rate of the tour ball. 3500 rpm should do it

The flow on effects will sort the rest out

Job done

LarryLong
24th June 2015, 10:37 PM
Ask you have to do is raise the spin rate of the tour ball. 3500 rpm should do it

The flow on effects will sort the rest out

Job done

I was going to make a similar suggestion. I don't know if it is even possible, but I wonder if you could change the balls so that they are harder to control the further you hit them. Higher spin would do this, wouldn't it? Let the pros settle on a risk-reward ball that gives them the best distance-control situation for their game.

I'd also agree that the ball shouldn't allow a player to stop a shot on the green easily from the rough.

Put those two things together and you'd have an interesting situation. Players could still hit it as far as they do now, but they would be taking a much bigger risk to do so. That's all you ever really want.

simmsy
25th June 2015, 01:16 PM
Should all be made to use Pinnacles
[emoji3]
Stop those bastards on your approach.

3Puttpete
25th June 2015, 02:03 PM
Why do we not want pros to hit as far as they do now?

thecollective
25th June 2015, 02:16 PM

because watching driver / gap wedge on 90% of par 4's is boring

TC

aussieashley
25th June 2015, 02:32 PM

So we don't have to build 7,000m golf courses with 480m par 4's for them to play on.

3Puttpete
25th June 2015, 02:44 PM
But if they don't shoot 20 under half the world bleats about how unfair it is

Yossarian
25th June 2015, 03:14 PM
Why don't/won't they limit the distance they are capable of hitting the ball?

The answer is simple.

We, the punters who watch golf, like seeing them smash it a long way.

No we don't.

A number of posters on this forum have rubbished women's golf because the women don't hit the ball far enough to get them interested.

Irrelevant point really.

To name some names, I think it would be very strange for people named in our long hitters thread, like Spanner, Matty and Qldhacker to watch on Tv and think they could hit it further than Bubba or DJ. Even stranger would be if they played with them (or any other pro) in a pro-am. I just think the logistical problem of the switchover, determining who is allowed to use the real ball and who is allowed to use the pro ball, is too hard.

Determining who can and can't would be simple. Professional golfers playing in professional tournaments use the ball. Anyone else can use whatever they want. How would this be difficult.

Firstly I think you misunderstand the concept of a control ball. Also you are not bigger than the game.

A good point. But as others have said it is a bit boring watching them go driver, wedge. It has set off a somewhat unsustainable development in golf course design and re design. It has an impact on the play-ability of some courses for guys like you that can only hit it 200.