PDA

View Full Version : Reading putts

live4golf
23rd June 2015, 07:25 PM
If I see a putt on a similar line to mine, I generally putt well. Scrambles, Ambrose when putting last I put really well. I know my technique is good, I just have issues reading greens then lost confidence and that can impact my technique. I know Aimpoint is the hot topic but it is not for me. What other techniques do you guys use to read greens?

aussieashley
23rd June 2015, 07:54 PM
These are common sense type of things but a couple of things I do, just for a general idea are:
If you're chipping, watch your ball. Especially if it goes past the hole. (Heaps of people look away or close their eyes if their ball just misses the hole)
The other thing is to watch your playing partners putts. Even if they're not on your line you can get a bit of an idea how your putt will go if they're on the same side of the hole or near your general area. Things like how quick the putt is, and how much it turns near the hole when it's slowing down.

3oneday
23rd June 2015, 08:06 PM
Mostly spend the day talking myself out of what I am seeing.

Hatchman
23rd June 2015, 08:16 PM
Without wasting time and being slow look at the long ones from both sides.
Quickly scan across the whole green to get a feel for the general lie of the land.
Read putts using dominant eye. Should be able google it easy enough.
One of the best tips passed on to me in my junior days was imagine water being poured onto the green, which way will it run?

I would advise against paying too much attention to what others in your group do as unless you know the person has a very good technique and can putt or you'll get a false impression of what it does with those that have outside to in or inside to out strokes. A putt that should break a small amount right to left can go dead straight with those that cut their putts (right handed). Had a mate that was better than average putter but he sliced every putt. We would never watch his line in ambrose games as it was very misleading.

mrbluu
23rd June 2015, 08:22 PM
If I see a putt on a similar line to mine, I generally putt well. Scrambles, Ambrose when putting last I put really well. I know my technique is good, I just have issues reading greens then lost confidence and that can impact my technique. I know Aimpoint is the hot topic but it is not for me. What other techniques do you guys use to read greens? Why don't u think Aimpoint is for u?

live4golf
23rd June 2015, 08:26 PM
Why don't u think Aimpoint is for u? Because I have the attention span of a gna... Hello little puppy, who has a fluffy tail? You do, come here fluffy

mrbluu
23rd June 2015, 08:30 PM
Fair enough.

So do I but I'm giving it a go anyway. Was going to spend the money on another putter anyway!!!

Hatchman
23rd June 2015, 08:32 PM
Not so much about reading but relevant to dominant eye and tip on how to work out which one is.
http://www.better-golf-by-putting-better.com/aiming-your-putterface.html