PDA

View Full Version : 2006 AFL Season

Pages : [1] 2

AndyP
2nd April 2006, 07:10 PM
Well, the footy season has finally started. And what an interesting round it has been so far.

Biffo between teammates at the Saints in their loss.

Richmond absolutely destroyed by the Doggies in what was a 50/50 match for tipping. (Sucked in Wallace)

Lions flogged.

Premiers outplayed.

Roos once again prove that they shouldn't be under-rated (I picked them).

2005 cellar dwellers, Hawks and Blues have convincing wins.

Bring on the rest of the season.....

3oneday
2nd April 2006, 07:12 PM
Beauty... pumped.....

;)

Fishman Dan
2nd April 2006, 07:31 PM
'Carn the Blues!! Most people doubted them, but coming off the back of 2 convincing - albeit pre-season - wins, i gave them a chance.

Listened to Rex Hunt's call on the internet. He's a goose, but the coverage was pretty good. Dipper followed them into the rooms and you heard the most rousing version of Lily of Laguna! Kouta's 250th game too!

I was aroused anyway..

We have a knockout comp at work - i took Port against Kangaroos and didn't expect to be out in round 1... much like when i tipped Manly over Canberra in the NRL :roll:

AndyP
2nd April 2006, 07:47 PM
Fishy, I put a lot on the Dees in a virtual bookie (an extra function on vBulletin actually), as I thought it was a safe bet.

Have Melbourne swapped their even years for the odds form-wise?

Fishman Dan
2nd April 2006, 08:19 PM
I didn't tip Carlton, but i wasn't going to take the D's in the knockout. I figured we were 1/2 a chance. The #1 draft pick Murphy had a cracker of a game too.

I've always wondered how Hawthorn have managed to make West Coast / Freemantle travel to Tasmania for their match-up, but even that result surprised me this arvo!

Courty
2nd April 2006, 08:45 PM
I was aroused anyway..

:shock: :-k

Moe Norman
2nd April 2006, 09:19 PM
Richmond absolutely destroyed by the Doggies in what was a 50/50 match for tipping. gotta be kidding, Doggies are a dead set certainty for the 8 this year even sans Darcy. Darkhorse for the Top 4 I reckon.

Only tips I've got wrong so far were the blues and the dons. Tomorrow's match should be interesting the Pies almost have a full list to choose from for the first time since the 2003 Prelim and have a good recent record vs the Crows.

markTHEblake
3rd April 2006, 06:29 AM
what a great weekend for Melbourne teams!

AndyP
15th April 2006, 05:30 PM
Woohoo! What a victory!

Bruce
15th April 2006, 09:25 PM
Woohoo! What a victory!

Shuddup :(

PRC
17th April 2006, 03:11 PM
Just wanted to say I've officially jumped on the bandwagon. After the Essendon win I feel ok with admitting to it.

Moe Norman
17th April 2006, 03:44 PM
Pies make it two solids wins in a row.

Nothing like a full list to choose from!

AndyP the Hawks f#cked my multi-bet at the TAB, bastards.

Falcon
17th April 2006, 09:25 PM
I went to see the mighty PIES today!

We Sh1t on them :D

AndyP
18th April 2006, 08:34 AM
I thought the Kangaroos won?????? It was a bit hard to tell who was who on my black and white TV though.

Moe Norman
18th April 2006, 10:16 AM
if you weren't in the comp in 1897, don't ask someone who was to change their jersey.

thanks.

AndyP
18th April 2006, 10:25 AM
That's right, it's never ever been changed since 1897.

Oh wait, what's this.....

http://bomberblitz.com/~rmered/images/Collingwood-Preseason1.gif

Moe Norman
18th April 2006, 11:54 AM
looks like the old Port Jersey.

they've never played in any premiership match in anything other than black and white stripes.

AndyP
18th April 2006, 12:04 PM
So we are only talking about premiership matches now. Eddie seems so adamant that there has only been black and white stripes. The above was a pre-season jumper of Collingwoods.

The below jumper doesn't seem so traditional, but if the criteria is that it has to have stripes that happen to be black and white, then it fits.

http://bomberblitz.com/~rmered/images/Collingwood-4.gif

Here's some more classic stuff from Eddie:
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/04/17/1145126055893.html

Who wouldn't want to play the Eagles away from Subi or the Adelaide teams away from AAMI?

Moe Norman
18th April 2006, 12:17 PM
thats actually a good idea, did you read the whole article and the reasoning behind it?

AndyP
18th April 2006, 12:22 PM
Yep, and why would the other teams make the sacrifice, when EddieWood sacrifices nothing.

Moe Norman
18th April 2006, 01:18 PM
clearly you didn't read the article.

you might barrack for the Hawks, but by the look of things you have similar football knowledge to your average lions fan....

AndyP
18th April 2006, 01:20 PM
Please educate me oh superior Collingwood one. That comment would sound just as good from your arrogant president.

just
18th April 2006, 01:44 PM
Eddie even admits it's self serving-so I don't think it's going to fly. Possibly a chance if they offer up a home game, but I don't think they are going to do that. The ides to get Carrara up and running with good teams and good games is great but not with self serving bollocks like this.
With respect to the strip Collongwood have changed the strip over the years mesiing with the width of the stripes etc. If they had kept the strip completely unchanged since the beginning then ok, but they haven't so they don't have a leg to stand on.

Moe Norman
18th April 2006, 02:33 PM
he's offered up Collingwood and also suggested Essendon because it is clear to anyone with a clue that these two teams will guarantee a crowd.

The D's play home games at the Gabba, does anyone criticise that deal? Nope, because Eddie wasn't involved....

The home ground advantage of an interstae team is massive and they get 11 per year. A home game for the Pies/Bombers at the G against the Blues - who has the advantage there?

AndyP
18th April 2006, 02:46 PM
he's offered up Collingwood and also suggested Essendon because it is clear to anyone with a clue that these two teams will guarantee a crowd.
They will guarantee a crowd, I'm not arguing that. But why doesn't Collingwood offer up their home game? For the same reasons other clubs won't?
What do West Coast, Adelaide, etc have to gain by playing home games at Carrara. They are rich clubs so wouldn't be after the $400K on offer to play there.

The D's play home games at the Gabba, does anyone criticise that deal? Nope, because Eddie wasn't involved....
That's Melbourne's choice and their home game to give away.

Bruce
18th April 2006, 03:41 PM

The fact that the MCG is still a few weeks away from being ready has a part to play in that decision too.

AndyP
18th April 2006, 03:42 PM
Do you mean the Carrara game, Bruce? Because Melbourne have been at the Gabba for several years, and have signed up for several more.

Bruce
18th April 2006, 03:49 PM
Yep. With the MCG as their home ground as well as the main stadium they just couldn't let the Dees play all their home games post Anzac Day. They'd be there every week for the rest of the year.

Would Southport have a show of supporting an AFL team? Personally I don't see it happening.

AndyP
18th April 2006, 03:53 PM
Would Southport have a show of supporting an AFL team? Personally I don't see it happening.
Southport have tonnes of money. That's why they are backing these games. And they would love to have their own team, but we won't be seeing anymore than 16 teams in the comp. They have also tried to buy a majority share in the Kangas.

But it looks like they would have to rely on the relocation of a club. And if a second side is in Qld, they have to play out of the Gabba (contracted).

markTHEblake
18th April 2006, 05:34 PM
How could you not tell the difference between Kangaroos and colllingwood. One team was mostly black, they other mostly white. :roll:

( i must admit though, that i thought it strange that neither team wore white shorts. would have thought it would have made sense for Kangaroos to do that)

if Collingwood had been wearing the mostly white jumper pre-2000 then it would have been hard, but then again no more difficult than it had been for at least 50 years, so why the panic now.

such a stupid issue. try watching a west coast and adelaide game these days, both teams look like a pizza.

Moe Norman
18th April 2006, 05:38 PM
nice signature MTB - love it!

markTHEblake
18th April 2006, 05:39 PM
ironic that i changed it this morning before i read all this bollocks

PRC
18th April 2006, 08:02 PM
The AFL has made a mistake in not putting a team on the Gold Coast and they should have done it before the NRL did. Sure the team would have struggled but they needed to take a long term view. With some financial support, draft picks and solid management a viable team was a strong possibility. There would have been the obvious derby match with the Lions to generate interest and the Gold Coast is a fast developing area with a ****load of Victorians.
North Melbourne was the obvious team to make the move, no one supported them even when Carey was at his best and they were winning the flag. Now they play games in Canberra in front of about 5000. What a waste of time.
To me it's a real lost opportunity, now the NRL side is going ahead it would be almost impossible to get a side up and running. The Lions are ageing and all the momentum built in Qld will be lost.

Moe Norman
18th April 2006, 08:08 PM
as long as they don't hand them a couple of flags on a platter like they did the Lions, I'd be all for a team on the Gold Coast.

The Sharks have got the cash and the Roo's have been knocking on deaths door for years. The only thing thats saved them is the fact that they've been a good side for 15 years. Their off-field performance is woeful. Worse than Fitzroy and the Doggies, but 12 finals appearances in 15 years including 2 flags will keep you afloat for a bit longer.

I would have thought a heartland like Tassie would have a side by now.

AndyP
18th April 2006, 08:24 PM
I would have thought a heartland like Tassie would have a side by now.
The number crunching has been done, and they don't have the cash or the people to support a side down there full time.
They have 5 or 6 premiership matches there this year though.

I don't think Qld is ready for a second side. Just because the Lions had support while they were winning, doesn't mean they will have it while they are losing. The next couple of years will be the test.

But as I have already stated, it would have to be based in Brisbane anyway, even if they called them Gold Coast.

Moe Norman
18th April 2006, 08:41 PM
ust because the Lions had support while they were winning, doesn't mean they will have it while they are losing. The next couple of years will be the test. the wheels have already fallen off that bandwagon. Most have jumped on the Cowboys I suspect. who wants fairweather supporters anyway?

The GC would have slightly more loyal fans because they're all expat Vics who know the game and really follow a side.

Ona
18th April 2006, 10:44 PM
thought we'd go alright this year :smt087. karn the kangas

PRC
22nd April 2006, 09:19 PM
Dogs get up again today, that bandwagon keeps on rolling. Perhaps Geelong are a little over-rated but all the same a great win.

Moe Norman
22nd April 2006, 10:09 PM
and the lions keep sinking.

Lloyd out for the season, taking dives can realy damage the hammy mate.

AndyP
23rd April 2006, 07:51 AM
and the lions keep sinking. They are looking quite bad. That said, they did jump a spot up the ladder last night....

Lloyd out for the season, taking dives can realy damage the hammy mate. Haha. Unfortunately, it's denied Campbell Brown the chance to belt him again next week....and in Round 20.

Dogs get up again today, that bandwagon keeps on rolling. Perhaps Geelong are a little over-rated but all the same a great win. Dogs are looking good, but next week against the Crows is a tough assignment.
Geelong are missing two key defenders, so I'd expect them to bounce back. Sounds like they were pretty good yesterday anyway.

Go Hawks! :-D

Moe Norman
23rd April 2006, 11:05 AM
Geelong are missing their entire spine.

Fullback, Centre Half Back, Ruckman, Centre Half Forward, Full Forward. They are some pretty big 'outs'.

Lonergan and Ablett were terrible yesterday and gave them absolutely nothing. If anything, that game was a battle of the smalls, with Doggies missing some key big men also.

PRC
23rd April 2006, 01:46 PM
Some might ask if Brad Ottens misses his spine 24-7

markTHEblake
23rd April 2006, 02:45 PM
Its only the 4th round but nothing wrong with dreaming.

If Kangaroos, Melbourne and Collingwood all win (and at this point in time thats not unrealistic) The view from 2nd spot all the way down to 15th will be absolutely fantastic.

Moe Norman
25th April 2006, 05:38 PM
well two out of three blakey.

HOT PIES

Fishman Dan
26th April 2006, 12:04 PM
I tolerated the Pies during the twilight years of my aging grand-pappy. Sadly he passed on 2 years ago after witnessing 2 successive grand final losses, and rightfully gave up hope on a 3rd appearance.

The tolerance his dissipated, and the hatred returneth. Just a shame to see them going so well.

Make or break week for the Blues. Either they beat Richmond by 4 goals, or get flogged by 10. Following weeks are the Magpies and the Bombers. Stand up now Bluebaggers, or forever be condemned as failures.

AndyP
26th April 2006, 12:06 PM
I don't know about any of you blokes but I don't know how to feel when I pick Collingwood in my tipping comp and they win. I feel so dirty when I put the cross in their box.
Wasn't as hard yesterday. I hate Essendscum.

Falcon
27th April 2006, 08:35 AM
You Da man Andy! Being a Pies supporter you would expect me to hate Carlton the most, but nothing gives me more pleasure than watching Essendon stuggle to a bottom 4 position... simply fantastic! :D

PRC
28th April 2006, 08:49 PM
My old man is a Collingwood tragic, he still has his tape of the 1990 Grand Final. I sat through it a couple of years ago with him, I remember seeing Gavin Brown absolutely killing Essendon and I'm pretty sure it was Terry Daniher playing on him. Terry was a great player, no questioning that, but at that stage of his career he was old and slow whilst Brown was young and quick. And you just keep thinking to yourself, why isn't Sheedy putting someone else on him? He's winning the game and you're doing nothing.
For all the whingeing you get from southerners, especially chief whinger - E McGuire, over the supposed advantage the Lions had in winning their 3 GFs. I reckon if Leigh Matthews had of coached Essendon from say 99-2002 you would have had them winning maybe 3 GFs.

markTHEblake
28th April 2006, 11:31 PM
I remember seeing Gavin Brown absolutely killing Essendon and I'm pretty sure it was Terry Daniher playing on him.

Brownie spent half the game in a coma, after getting knocked out by Daniher after quarter time.

He had only 4 kicks, 3 handballs, 2 goals and 3 reports. Apart from the fight, I'd have to say thatyou thinking of someone else that was doing the killing.

whats wrong with owning the video anyway? I got two of them.

PRC
29th April 2006, 06:39 AM
Crap, I'm an idiot. Was it the semi where Brown kills them? Which was the one where Essendon only kick 4 or 5 goals for the match?

markTHEblake
29th April 2006, 08:18 AM
everyone remembers the old Joke "who kicked 5 goals in the 1990 grand final. Final score was 13 goals to 5.

in the 2nd Semi score was 17 to 7 and Brown kicked 5. According to my litte black book it says here that "brown dominated anthony daniher". I dont remember much about this game apart from Kicket lairising with the ball (bouncing like a basket ball) and Russell runs past and steals it and goals.

Moe Norman
29th April 2006, 08:53 AM
great stuff blakey.

the 1990 grand final is one of my favourite memories. Dad and I were sitting in the members when Daniher knocked Rowdy out cold. I was mildly upset because as a 9 year old Pant was my favourite player followed by Rowdy. My dad is usually a calm bloke but he was absolutely rabid and absolutely gave it to Daniher and one of the old members came down and told him to settle down! It was close to home though, as Dad had played for the Dons in the mid 70's and been belted by a Daniher in an internal trial - dirty bastards.

Moe Norman
30th April 2006, 03:57 PM
Well interesting day of Footy today!

Freo and Sainters played out a draw down in Tassie with Pavlich back to his best.

Hawks did the bombers by a point, what a terrible shame!

Oh and did I mention the pies belted Port by 7 goals?:smt038

Rocca kicked 5, Taz and Bucks 4 and our young guns were at it again in the midfield. \\:D/

That should wrap up third spot outright gents :smt023

AndyP
30th April 2006, 04:06 PM
Freo and Sainters played out a draw down in Tassie with Pavlich back to his best. It's a draw........for now. The result could change.

Loved the win over the Scum.

Moe, have you noticed how quiet the Lions supporters are in this thread? What position on the ladder are they in now anyway?

Moe Norman
30th April 2006, 04:17 PM
16th I believe.

What exactly is a Lions supporter? I don't know of any and have never met one - plenty of people went to the games for a couple of years but none of them were supporters.

why could the draw result change?

Edit: just checked it out, will be interesting to see how this plays out. Thats twice the Sainters have earnt dodgy draws.

AndyP
30th April 2006, 04:22 PM
why could the draw result change? Bizarre ending.
Freo were up by one point when the siren went. The umpires didnt hear it at all, even though some Freo players were celebrating. There was a ball up 45m out from Saints goal, Saints got it out to Baker who missed his shot but tie d the scores (15 seconds after the siren went). He was bumped after disposing and got a free kick and another shot (2 min after the siren went), cancelling the first score. He missed again leaving the scores level.

Will be interesting to see what happens, as there may be an appeal.

16th I believe.
That's last, isn't it?

Moe Norman
30th April 2006, 04:26 PM
no way, game will stay a draw. can't correct the umpires decision after the match, where do you draw the line?

Yes, 16th is dead last.

AndyP
30th April 2006, 04:28 PM
no way, game will stay a draw. can't correct the umpires decision after the match, where do you draw the line?
I don't think it will change either, but that's not to say it shouldn't. How would you feel if you plonked down $5k on the Dockers to win?

Flowergirl
30th April 2006, 07:16 PM
Go Pies :)

Moe Norman
30th April 2006, 09:56 PM
same way I felt when poor decisions cost the pies the 2002 grand finals and how my father felt when they cost us the 1979 and 1966 grand finals as well.

THE BALL WAS OUT!

Bruce
1st May 2006, 09:29 AM
I can't find a non-PDF version of the rules to cut and paste and I am too lazy to type it in again.

Rule 10.4 covers it.

One of the great fallacies of football followers is that the timekeeper controls the start and end of play, but it is the umpire. The clock doesn't start for the quarter when the siren sounds but when the umpire blows his whistle. Similarly for the end. The match doesn't end until the umpire hears the siren and blows the whistle.

It is both a joke and a farce and Freo were robbed - but the draw must stand according to the rules.

Note: I am still a level 2 accredited AFL Field umpire.

goughy
7th May 2006, 04:40 PM
Gotta ask!! Again, don't really watch much foozball, but if I do it's usually the 'rules'.

So what is the deal with the Lions. It seems pretty odd the fall from grace. Are they no longer getting salary cap consessions or whatever they had. Just interested in genuine opinions on how a team falls from near the top to way down the bottom.

Akka was saying they are playing like a group of individuals rather than a team.

The little I have watched it looks like the keystone cops out there.

Moe Norman
7th May 2006, 05:22 PM
no more salary cap concessions is a big factor, whether they'll admit it or not.

The other major factor is that they didn't blood young talent of build for the future. Lethal was milking them for all they're worth and 3 flags wasn't a bad result. Dynasties have to end, especially with the draft system. 4 of the last 5 flags were won by sides with salary cap concessions, no surprise there...

It is an interesting one though. They still have a list that 'on paper' looks good. 3 brownlow's in the midfield, Jonathon Brown, Mal Michael, Luke Power, Charman etc etc.

I think they are REALLY missing the unsung hero of the side in Nigel Lappin.

AndyP
7th May 2006, 05:39 PM
The other major factor is that they didn't blood young talent of build for the future. Lethal was milking them for all they're worth and 3 flags wasn't a bad result. This is the main reason for me.
There are several players that are still at the club that should not be. They should have either been traded when they were still worth something, or cut from the list altogether.

goughy, write the Lions down for another loss next week too.......

Moe, can't believe you didn't mention your side's current ladder position. Might only last a week though.

goughy
7th May 2006, 05:43 PM
That makes sense. Often when I notice a team is on a downer, they have a lot of fresh young (and cheap) talent. A few years down the track and you see the payoff. So the Lions havn't been doing this. I must admit that even I noticed a lot of players have been around for ages.

Must be the good weather.

Moe Norman
7th May 2006, 05:45 PM
I would andyP but nobody here follows footy anymore, now the lions are at the opposite end.

AndyP
7th May 2006, 05:46 PM
That makes sense. Often when I notice a team is on a downer, they have a lot of fresh young (and cheap) talent. A few years down the track and you see the payoff. So the Lions havn't been doing this. I must admit that even I noticed a lot of players have been around for ages.
They've just started, and appear to have some good youngsters, but it was too late.

AndyP
7th May 2006, 05:46 PM
I would andyP but nobody here follows footy anymore, now the lions are at the opposite end.
Yeah, it is a little wasted.

Ona
7th May 2006, 06:06 PM
went to the kanga's v hawks game today with a few hawk fans. always fun trash talking your lift home on the walk back to the car, there's a little risk involved but they (almost) always cop it sweet :)

AndyP
7th May 2006, 06:09 PM
Congrats Ona. Maybe it will kick start your season.

I'm a little disappointed by our loss, but I know where the club is at. If losing this week, means a thumping win next week up here, then I'll take it.

Moe Norman
7th May 2006, 06:35 PM
you heading down to Carrara andy?

AndyP
7th May 2006, 06:47 PM
you heading down to Carrara andy?
Sure am. Received a couple of tickets on Friday.

Unfortunately I don't think Mitchell is ready for his first footy match yet. I can't see him sitting still for that long.

goughy
7th May 2006, 06:54 PM
I don't see you sitting still for that long either!!!

AndyP
7th May 2006, 06:58 PM
Standing up and swearing at umpires doesn't count.

BrisWesty
7th May 2006, 07:46 PM
Oh dear, what is going on with the Cats?
One loss by a point, another by 7 points. That sucks.
As for the Lions, Aka needs to pull his head in. He's getting sucked in by his opponent, and as a senior player Lethal would expect better. Will Matthews make an example of him next week?

Moe Norman
7th May 2006, 08:03 PM
i'd expect to see aka on the pine next week at best

AndyP
7th May 2006, 08:20 PM
i'd expect to see aka on the pine next week at best
He started on the pine today.
He may have the tribunal to deal with this week as well. As does Chris Johnson.

AndyP
8th May 2006, 08:20 PM
Aka and Johnson cleared, but Johnson is gone for several weeks with a groin strain. What a shame. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke...

goughy
14th May 2006, 05:34 AM
Enjoy the game last night Andyp??? :mrgreen::smt002

AndyP
14th May 2006, 08:41 AM
No.

Jarro
14th May 2006, 08:43 AM
i did

Moe Norman
20th May 2006, 09:28 PM
it's a 2 team comp guys!

AndyP
21st May 2006, 10:23 AM
Adelaide and West Coast?

Moe Norman
21st May 2006, 11:41 AM
mate, Crows can't even get over the tigers - I liked the way the Tigers used the Crows boring tactic against them, shoes on the other foot now Crows!

AndyP
21st May 2006, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't count the Crows out of the race though. After all, they have beaten Collingwood in Melbourne.

Flowergirl
22nd May 2006, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't count the Crows out of the race though. After all, they have beaten Collingwood in Melbourne.

Only just....and they cheated ..and it was the first round....our boys hadn't warmed up proper. We'll do em next time.

AndyP
22nd May 2006, 06:19 PM
Just having a look at the injury lists, I notice a rather important factor in a team's success during a season.

COLLINGWOOD
Nil

WEST COAST
Brad Smith (knee) season
Damien Adkins (leg) season
Matthew Spangher (groin) 4 weeks
The two shortest injury lists.

Moe Norman
22nd May 2006, 08:03 PM
indeed they do, didn't see anyone quoting our injury list last year when we were losing though.

To refresh you memory, in one game it read like this.
Buckley
Rocca
Tarrant
Burns
Didak
Richards
Fraser
Wakelin
C Cloke
Rusling
Swan

I think that was the week we beat the Hawks ;)

AndyP
23rd May 2006, 05:34 AM
indeed they do, didn't see anyone quoting our injury list last year when we were losing though.
Come off it. Eddie and Mick would have mentioned it any chance they got.

Moe Norman
23rd May 2006, 06:26 AM
nobody listens to them though mate

brad
23rd May 2006, 01:00 PM
Go the Swans!!!

Yes .. I'm still on the band wagon :)

AndyP
23rd May 2006, 01:07 PM
Temporarily jumped off for the first few rounds too, I'm sure......at least you didn't start a whole new thread to say it.

brad
25th May 2006, 07:13 PM
Temporarily jumped off for the first few rounds too, I'm sure......at least you didn't start a whole new thread to say it.

I would've if I could just remember how ... :)

Flowergirl
27th May 2006, 10:00 AM
Gotta love Collingwood this year. ( For the record - I do every year) Last night after the doggies came back how they did in the 3rd quareter I though the woods weere in trouble. The Collingwood in the past wouldn't have come back how they did to win. They really have faith in their abilities and their team mates and believe they can win. I'm not being cocky and saying they'll win the grand final - but at least are giving us something to cheer about.

GO PIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't Chris Tarrant a very sexy young man. I know I'm old enough to be his mother - but hey - who cares!!!!

AndyP
27th May 2006, 10:41 AM
And believe it or not, Malthouse is still whinging about how they are playing.

Unfortunately for you, their next match is in June, and we know what their record is like in that month....

FG, if you like Chris Tarrant, there's a guy at the Hawks who they say looks similar.
http://hawthornfc.com.au/cp2/c2/webi/person/352242al.jpg

Flowergirl
27th May 2006, 10:53 AM
And believe it or not, Malthouse is still whinging about how they are playing.

Unfortunately for you, their next match is in June, and we know what their record is like in that month....

FG, if you like Chris Tarrant, there's a guy at the Hawks who they say looks similar.
http://hawthornfc.com.au/cp2/c2/webi/person/352242al.jpg

He looks like he could be his brother - but not as cute. :)
And yes.....thank you for reminding me about June.:shock:

AndyP
27th May 2006, 11:01 AM
He looks like he could be his brother - but not as cute. :)Put him in black and white and you'd be calling him a dead-set hotty.

Falcon
27th May 2006, 11:31 AM
Gotta love Collingwood this year. ( For the record - I do every year) Last night after the doggies came back how they did in the 3rd quareter I though the woods weere in trouble. The Collingwood in the past wouldn't have come back how they did to win. They really have faith in their abilities and their team mates and believe they can win. I'm not being cocky and saying they'll win the grand final - but at least are giving us something to cheer about.

GO PIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't Chris Tarrant a very sexy young man. I know I'm old enough to be his mother - but hey - who cares!!!!

I managed to go last night, saw Rob Murphy's knee injury.. what a shame :smt085
Pies played well again, weathered the storm in the 3rd quarter and had fresh legs in the last. Good win without playing great!! 7-2 ain't a bad start :smt002 ONLY the Lions to demolish next week.

Nice to see you're a Pies supporter too FG :smt109

markTHEblake
27th May 2006, 02:04 PM
And yes.....thank you for reminding me about June.:shock:

why would you let that idiot talk you in to thinking about June anyway?

he doesnt even know when was the last time Collingwood did not win in June.

Moe Norman
28th May 2006, 06:42 PM
he's taking the focus off his shambolic Hawks

AndyP
28th May 2006, 07:04 PM
I'm quite happy with 4 wins and 5 losses thanks. We're not aiming for top 4.

Wouldn't want to be an Essendscum supporter though. Losing by 60+ points in a cellar dweller battle is a disaster. Not that I feel sorry for them.

How good is Jonathon Brown travelling at the moment? What a gun!!

Jarro
28th May 2006, 07:06 PM
watch out, Lions are on the way back :p

PeteyD
28th May 2006, 07:08 PM
Yea, lions are looking good. Magpie stew this week ????

AndyP
28th May 2006, 07:10 PM
watch out, Lions are on the way back :p
**** off, bandwagoner.

markTHEblake
28th May 2006, 07:19 PM
Yes Lions are looking ominous. I hate dragging up an old cliche, but who have the Lions actually beaten so far?

regardless the Lions have been a bit of a bogey for collingwood the last few years *but* not in Melbourne, where its been fairly even.

This should be a really good game, and I am really looking forward to it. No one can deny Collingwood is playing good footy, and therefore this represents a key game for the Lions - either they will come out of it a genuine finals contender, or just that they are the best of the bottom

Jarro
28th May 2006, 07:20 PM
**** off, bandwagoner.

you're right :mrgreen:

PeteyD
28th May 2006, 07:34 PM
Agreed. It is a game that should test the finals potential of both Teams. Collingwood are looking very strong and the game should be a ripper.

Yes Lions are looking ominous. I hate dragging up an old cliche, but who have the Lions actually beaten so far?

regardless the Lions have been a bit of a bogey for collingwood the last few years *but* not in Melbourne, where its been fairly even.

This should be a really good game, and I am really looking forward to it. No one can deny Collingwood is playing good footy, and therefore this represents a key game for the Lions - either they will come out of it a genuine finals contender, or just that they are the best of the bottom

Fishman Dan
29th May 2006, 09:07 AM
Let's put this into perspective....

Lose to Adelaide Rd 1. Fair enough - upsets happen and usually in Round 1. But they failed this test against a team who look likely in 2006.
Beat Hawthorn
Beat the Roos
Beat Essendon
Beat Port - season 2006 #2 underachievers
Beat Carlton - convincingly, who hasn't
Beaten by West Coast. Test #2. Failed.
Smashed Geelong - season 2006 #1 underachievers
Beat the Bullies.

Nothing to get a chubby about. The Lions in Melbourne will be a good litmus test if they are to be a serious threat, but even then most people are expecting this little Brissy bubble to burst, with Melbourne and Sydney games to follow.

I'll reserve my judgement, but to use stockmarket terms, i think there will be a 'correction' in the Collingwood season over the coming weeks.

AndyP
29th May 2006, 09:14 AM
They will get to play those first 7 sides again though.

Fishman Dan
29th May 2006, 09:41 AM
...and lead up into the finals playing the tougher teams as well.

brad
29th May 2006, 12:43 PM
I see nobody is mentioning the FACT that Sydney beat the Hawks.

Well isn't it just lucky that I did \\:D/

AndyP
29th May 2006, 12:47 PM
Why would it be mentioned, it was almost a given.
Last year's premiers defeating a side in rebuild mode. They were way too good.

brad
29th May 2006, 12:56 PM
Generous, no starred out words and all together humble. Fair enough ;)

AndyP
29th May 2006, 12:59 PM
I'm expecting the same from you when the Hawks win the premiership in 2008, 2009 and 2010......

brad
29th May 2006, 01:05 PM
I'm expecting the same from you when the Hawks win the premiership in 2008, 2009 and 2010......

OK done ! :)

And I'll still be baracking for the Swans ... you just watch.

Virgal_Tracy
29th May 2006, 01:18 PM
As a Swans member and proud of their effort to cement a position in the 4 with a great:smt023 percentage I am looking forward to some of the bigger games now at Telstra. Collingwood and Lions is a great night out.

And just to inform everyone, on the back of picking the swans almost religiously I picked a perfect round in the tipping last week. Look out AP, here I come:smt064

Moe Norman
29th May 2006, 10:24 PM
Let's put this into perspective....

Lose to Adelaide Rd 1. Fair enough - upsets happen and usually in Round 1. But they failed this test against a team who look likely in 2006.
Beat Hawthorn
Beat the Roos
Beat Essendon
Beat Port - season 2006 #2 underachievers
Beat Carlton - convincingly, who hasn't
Beaten by West Coast. Test #2. Failed.
Smashed Geelong - season 2006 #1 underachievers
Beat the Bullies.

Corrections.

We thrashed Hawks, Roos, Dons, Port, Carlton & Geelong.

People said the litmus test would be Geelong and the Dogs. We smashed the Cats and the Dogd never really threatened either. Litmus test against the Lions?? The Lions will be over achieving to finish 10th.... If we don't bash them it's a choke.

Nobody else besides Freo has really gone anywhere near the Weagles at Subi for a few years now so losing by 2 goals was hardly disasterous, and the Crows were in a fair bit of trouble against us but al credit to them we were outcoached by their flooding tactics late in the game.

Swannies and D's wil be good yardsticks, but considering we paid $6 to make the 8 I'm laughing all the way to the bank already!

They will get to play those first 7 sides again though. Actually that's not how it works, but we will be playing Weagles and Crows twice this year.

Fishman Dan
29th May 2006, 11:17 PM
Barely thrashed the Dons... 3 goals? And the Dogs were in it until the final stanza, and losing Murphy had a massive impact.

Thinking the Cats were a litmus test is false hope - they are quality $hit this year. The pre-season win hoodoo strikes again.

Moe Norman
29th May 2006, 11:31 PM
nobody besides Port, Crows and Freo has beaten Weagles at Subi since 2002 and only two since 1999.

Calling that a litmus test for a side from anywhere east of Adelaide is blatant pie bashing.

AndyP
30th May 2006, 05:53 AM
Actually that's not how it works, but we will be playing Weagles and Crows twice this year.
Ah, they used to just play the first 7 again, but they have been changing it a little the last few years. I didn't check.
I guess that's the only way the AFL can keep going with their inequitable bull**** draw.

terryand
30th May 2006, 06:14 AM
Hey Moe.......2002...2003:mrgreen:

2006?????????????????? http://deephousepage.com/smilies/rofl5.gif

Terry.

Moe Norman
30th May 2006, 07:01 AM
We'll see, at least I'll be watching the footy in September - I doubt lions fans will be.

Whether I'll be crying or not is a different question.

Why only mention 02/03? we've been runners up 26 times mate!

AndyP
3rd June 2006, 09:36 PM
Was at a mate's place watching a tight contest between the Lions and Collingwood. Lion's had hit the front and it was hard to see how Collingwood would win.
We had to leave so I hopped in the car and turned the radio on (to hear a live score), only to hear Buckley (great player) kick his sixth, and Collingwood run away with it.
Great result for them, considering the game injuries.
That injury list won't be zero anymore.

Good to see B!tchmond choke against the Dockers too, after conceding the last four goals from a couple up.

PeteyD
3rd June 2006, 09:38 PM
Plenty of promise in the Lions young guys though. Collingwood certainly answered well when pressed tonight. If they can play like that at the end of the season they might win this one.

Moe Norman
3rd June 2006, 10:01 PM
now I gave some fresh underpants on I'll be celebrating more comfortably.

Bucks is ageing well.

markTHEblake
3rd June 2006, 10:24 PM
Thats the best Collingwood win I have ever seen - considering all the circumstances. I thought that after half time we were gone.

Moe Norman
3rd June 2006, 10:34 PM
its the best win in recent memory, niot the best I've seen.

last time I was this excited was Qualifying final 2002 and 2003, and that didn't last long either time :(

Fishman Dan
4th June 2006, 09:09 AM
Bucks was unstoppable last night, in fact Collingwood were top notch in what had to be billed as their biggest test.

Voss was fired up but not very productive, Aker seemed to get on with the job and Brown was everywhere. Voss didn't seem to do much constructive though. Great game to watch.

Moe Norman
4th June 2006, 09:39 AM
Voss was typical Voss - shooting off his mouth and letting his team do the work. The guy is/was a fantastic player but even at his best was never in the class of Hird/Buckley/Riciutto. He captained perhaps the best side in 50 years and has had his own ability bloated as a result.

Scott is the same, chat chat chat instead of run run run.

gazgolf1
4th June 2006, 09:46 AM
He captained perhaps the best side in 50 years and has had his own ability bloated as a result.

There was a clause in Vossy's contract that he was entitled to extra ability bloat and that was paid for by the salary cap concessions.
Aker tried to get some in his contract but at that time Vossy had used up all the bloat.:roll:

markTHEblake
4th June 2006, 06:53 PM
it was great to see a game return to the way it used to be played, a lot of the game was played as one-on-one, and Collingwood (by necessity) rested players in the forward line instead of bench rotations, and then in the last qtr put a couple of forwards into the midfield.

by why the heck did Brisbane do the 'flood' with 10 minutes to go? they should have been able to run collingwood out of the game, yet the opposite seemed to happen.

Ona
4th June 2006, 07:29 PM
bloody hell am I glad the cats lost worse than the kangas :shock::(

I heard the next draft is gonna be the best in years... :smt100

AndyP
5th June 2006, 12:49 PM
And just to inform everyone, on the back of picking the swans almost religiously I picked a perfect round in the tipping last week. Look out AP, here I come:smt064
Didn't need to bite. I answered in the best possible way, with a perfect tipping round in reply.

terryand
12th June 2006, 05:01 PM
Moe is awfully quite tonight :-k

Come to think of it, so is AP :wink:

Terry.

AndyP
12th June 2006, 05:37 PM
Quite what?

Jarro
12th June 2006, 05:39 PM
almost 100 points wasn't it ???

poor old scoreboard attendant must've nearly had a heart-attack :shock:

AndyP
12th June 2006, 05:41 PM
almost 100 points wasn't it ???
I don't see what you are getting at.
The margin was less than the corresponding match last year.

3oneday
12th June 2006, 05:41 PM
almost 100 points wasn't it ???Is it Wednesday already ??? ;)

:p

Jarro
12th June 2006, 05:50 PM
Is it Wednesday already ??? ;)

:p

i said 100 points

.. not 100 pints :roll:

Moe Norman
12th June 2006, 06:08 PM
I'm not quiet, I'm sulking

markTHEblake
13th June 2006, 07:07 AM
I knew we were going to get rolled, so I'm fully recovered already.

AndyP
23rd June 2006, 11:18 AM
Sydney would be J-Lo - Quality all over, but especially good down back.

West Coast would be Kylie Minogue - very decent despite not having much up front.

Fremantle would be Danii Minogue - Always trying hard to be as good as her big sister, but will never measure up. The butt of everyone's jokes.

St Kilda would be Krystal from Big Brother - has the biggest and best assets going around, but we all know they're not the real deal.

Brisbane would be Elle MacPherson - past her glorious best but still easy on the eye and an old favourite with most.

Port Power would be Madonna - also past her glorious best, but refuses to accept it gracefully.

Carlton would be Whitney Houston - has not looked after herself in recent years and has gone completely off the rails.

Adelaide would be Delta Goodrem - tidy, attractive, professional and uncontroversial. Nice to look at, but for some reason just makes you want to yawn.

Geelong would be Britney Spears - at times can look stunning, at others it can get ugly.

Essendon would be Katie Holmes - has a certifiable psycho in charge of her every move. Has lost credibility in recent times.

The Kangaroos would be Paris Hilton - lays down way too easily.

Richmond would be Annabel Chong - can cop a pounding and keep coming back for more, all in the name of self-improvement.

Western Bulldogs would be Shakira - proof that being short is no barrier to getting you excited. Will only get better too.

Hawthorn would be Christina Aguilera - looks like she enjoys it rough and dirty.

Melbourne would be Princess Di - may be a blue blood, but hasn't done anything for a while.

Collingwood would be Amelie Mauresmo - last woman on Earth scenario: you still wouldn't.

Moe Norman
25th June 2006, 12:14 AM
we're back!

Falcon
25th June 2006, 08:47 AM
Go Pies!

You little beauuuuutay!

Richmond-St.Kilda-Freo next 3 weeks... happy days ahead :D

terryand
25th June 2006, 09:09 AM
I didn't watch the game, so I could be coming from left field here.By the looks of the Swans scoring, it was just the waywardness that beat them. Geez 2.10 at half time.

Terry.

markTHEblake
25th June 2006, 09:43 AM
:-D Sorry to dissapoint you Tez , the final score flattered Sydney, Collingwoods kicking for goal was just as bad (or worse) including 2 set shots from 10 metres almost direct in front.

The gold jacket was on with 12 mins left in the game when Collingwood opened up a 7 goal lead. Swans kicked 4 or 5 unanswered goals at the death.

Swans lost the game not by innacurrate goal kicking but by defensively kicking the ball backwards for at about half the game. I think at one stage the Marks stats were 44 to 15 in swans favour but they were 3 goals down. Had they played attacking football like they did in the 3rd qtr and at the end (like collingwood played all game) it would have been a much closer result.

terryand
25th June 2006, 09:53 AM
I take your point Blakey, but 11.16 to me is worse than 14.11.

27 shot on goal to 25 and lose the game tells me that acuracy cost them the game.Even with all the things that happened in the game that you said.

Terry.

Fishman Dan
25th June 2006, 10:11 AM
I'm with Tez. 2-10 at 1/2 time for Sydney could easily (should?) have been 7 or 8 goals.

Collingwood won, or Sydney lost the game?

Moe Norman
25th June 2006, 10:15 AM
tezza only about 5-6 of those 16 wre missed shots. There were plenty of rushed behinds.

Collingwood and Sydney were both woeful kicking for goal, but the Pies missed about 5 EASY set shots. Swans missed 2 or 3 from difficult angles.

A rushed behind is not a missed shot, its a clearance for Collingwood and we could afford a lot of them as we dominated for much of the game.

Davis missed two from in front and Didak missed a set shot from the square, if anything it was the pies innacurate kicking that kept the swans in it.

connico
25th June 2006, 11:57 AM
Moe's just about right, was at the game last night and it was all the missed attempts and sh1tty defensive play the swans decided to try that lost them the game. I was fumming very time they kicked backwards, which was 1/2 the game. Everyone around us even my sister was looking on in bemusement as they sat back and decided to play defensively (sh1t kick) around while behind. True they created a few shots at goal, but most of the missed attempts where at very difficult angles.

Pies just out played them, attacked and put alot of pressure on the defensive play. While both teams were not as accurate as they could have been, the pies played a counter offensive game, putting pressure on the defense and stealing alot of marks and making a lot of spoils that led to attacking oppertunities. I wasnt impressed and so to where the people around me, the old fellas behind me who where calling the game basically said "if they stop sh1t kicking around and make a few more attacks when they hit the lead (only for a few moments) and kept the pressure on, they would have held the lead"

markTHEblake
25th June 2006, 12:05 PM
I'm with Tez. 2-10 at 1/2 time for Sydney could easily (should?) have been 7 or 8 goals.
Its was very cold and wet, you know that means more behinds than goals. lots of dropped marks in the forward line and scruffy snaps for goals.
7 or 8 goals at half time - possible yes - probable, not a hope.

Sorry Moe, there were only 2 rushed behinds for the whole game, 1 each. Collingwood was actually good enough to get the ball from deep in defense to inside 50 with 3-4 possessions so didnt need to shank a rushed behind, unlike Sydney that took 10 to 15 touches to reach the centre.

Collingwood won, or Sydney lost the game?
Collingwood won comprehensively. If they didnt I'd be the first to say so. They were about even in the midfield, but Collingwood much better in defence and attack.

Sydney were scary when they decided to play football, but they did that for about 10-15 mins of the whole game. The rest of the game was all Collingwood, even a Carlton supporter would have admitted the 1st and 2nd qtr leads should have been a hellava lot more.

AndyP
25th June 2006, 12:09 PM
27 shot on goal to 25 and lose the game tells me that acuracy cost them the game.Even with all the things that happened in the game that you said.
I didn't watch the game either, but I wouldn't make a judgement on accuracy costing a team the game just by just looking at the scoreboard.

The scoreboard doesn't tell you whether the Swans were taking pot shots (and missing) from outside 50m, because they couldn't break into their forward zone. And it doesn't tell you whether the Swans were having shots at goal in the corridor or out in the pockets, because Collingwoods defenders were too good, and forced the Swans to go out wide. It also doesn't indicate whether they were set shots at goal, or goals on the run.

What it does tell me, is that Collingwood won (unfortunately).

terryand
25th June 2006, 12:13 PM
What it does tell me, is that Collingwood won (unfortunately).

It doesn't matter AP, the more they win during the season the more it is going to hurt them when they stumble in September :-D

Terry.

AndyP
25th June 2006, 12:14 PM
It doesn't matter AP, the more they win during the season the more it is going to hurt them when they stumble in September
I think a more appropriate term is 'wobble'.

Falcon
25th June 2006, 12:31 PM
It doesn't matter AP, the more they win during the season the more it is going to hurt them when they stumble in September :-D

Terry.

I don't understand that comment. Or you're grossly misinformed?

The last 2 times the Pies have made the Finals we went on to the Grand Final, unfortunately beaten by possibly the greatest team ever in Brisbane both times.

Which is more i can say for teams like Adelaide and Port Adelaide before they finally did it in 2004.

Moe Norman
25th June 2006, 12:33 PM
will give you guys something to watch in september, as your respective clubs won't be there ;)

terryand
25th June 2006, 12:37 PM
I don't understand that comment. Or you're grossly misinformed?

The last 2 times the Pies have made the Finals we went on to the Grand Final, unfortunately beaten by possibly the greatest team ever in Brisbane both times.

Which is more i can say for teams like Adelaide and Port Adelaide before they finally did it in 2004.

Yep, they still stumbled didn't they,albeit at the last hurdle :-?

Terry.

Falcon
25th June 2006, 12:43 PM
will give you guys something to watch in september, as your respective clubs won't be there ;)

Haha...yeah, i'll be watching!

Just got a big **** LCD to watch the Pies kick some ****.

Terry..another Collingwood hater? or a Swanny's supporter after another underwhelming perfromance? :-D

terryand
25th June 2006, 12:45 PM

My club will be there in September even if they lose their last 6 again like last year :cry:

Terry.

terryand
25th June 2006, 12:48 PM
Terry..another Collingwood hater? or a Swanny's supporter after another underwhelming perfromance? :-D

Neither actually :-s Not AFL supporter, but I know enough to know to hate Collingwood ;)

Terry.

markTHEblake
25th June 2006, 01:06 PM
My club will be there in September even if they lose their last 6 again like last year :cry:

No team lost the last 6 in a row last year..... However I am pretty certain that Tex is a Lions supporter still in denial.

terryand
25th June 2006, 03:12 PM
No team lost the last 6 in a row last year..... However I am pretty certain that Tex is a Lions supporter still in denial.

Maybe not in AFL Blakey, think outside the (AFL) square :-s

Terry.

Moe Norman
25th June 2006, 03:18 PM
there's a whole other thread for that mate, maximum IQ for entry is 75 ;)

PS: nice avatar

Jarro
25th June 2006, 03:25 PM
there's a whole other thread for that mate, maximum IQ for entry is 75 ;)

watch you tongue arkeetekcha-boy, lessen' i have to use my Moderating powers on yeh :smt021 :smt075

:smt002

AndyP
25th June 2006, 03:26 PM
Jarro, I'm going to have to overrule here. I see nothing wrong with his statement.

Jarro
25th June 2006, 03:30 PM
let him fight his own battles AndyP :p

Moe Norman
25th June 2006, 06:20 PM
lucky Jarro, this thread has a minimum IQ of 65. You must have just scraped through, You're one of the rare beasts allowed in both threads!

Jarro
25th June 2006, 06:38 PM
i consider myself very lucky to be a member of your little club Moe.

Moe Norman
25th June 2006, 06:43 PM
hey mate, I aint in the club :D

Jarro
25th June 2006, 06:49 PM
oh, i'm sorry ..... i thought seeing as though you knew so much about it that you must surely have been a founding member.... or something like that.

Moe Norman
25th June 2006, 07:11 PM
just to be sure Jarro - you do know I'm joking right?

Jarro
25th June 2006, 07:14 PM
Moe, everything you say is a joke to me.

just kidding :smt002

Flowergirl
26th June 2006, 03:26 PM
I thought that Collingwood's performance on Saturday night was outstanding. They were beaten by Adelaiade when they pulled the same tatics and tried to shut down their running game - but to their credit they were able to still move the ball quickly down to their forwards and score - just bad kicking in the first half meant too many of these scores were points:shock:
The Swans showed flashes of brilliance - in the third quater I thought the Swans were going to get on top and stay there but the Pies were outstanding and met the challenge full on. It was similar against the Lions a few weeks ago. They gt on top in the third quarter and I thought the Pies were gooorrnne - you gotta remember I've followed them for a long long time and have seen them in front only to end up getting thumped in the last half. This team has so much strength both physically and mentally.
How was Pendleberry's "basketball steal" on Paul Williams. The look on Williams face said it all. What-tha!!!!!!

I for one am not saying that Collingwood this year is the real deal and that will win the GRand Final. I have doubts even if they'll make it that far. But at the moment they are giving us Collingwood supporters something to get excited about. And - that's all I ask. Don't give a rats if you guys hang sh%t on possible "stumbles and wobbles" :mrgreen:

GO PIES

goughy
2nd July 2006, 08:50 AM
Bris wins shooting 8 goals and 23 behinds. Someone needs to open their eyes when kicking.

Falcon
2nd July 2006, 09:33 AM
I thought that Collingwood's performance on Saturday night was outstanding. They were beaten by Adelaiade when they pulled the same tatics and tried to shut down their running game - but to their credit they were able to still move the ball quickly down to their forwards and score - just bad kicking in the first half meant too many of these scores were points:shock:
The Swans showed flashes of brilliance - in the third quater I thought the Swans were going to get on top and stay there but the Pies were outstanding and met the challenge full on. It was similar against the Lions a few weeks ago. They gt on top in the third quarter and I thought the Pies were gooorrnne - you gotta remember I've followed them for a long long time and have seen them in front only to end up getting thumped in the last half. This team has so much strength both physically and mentally.
How was Pendleberry's "basketball steal" on Paul Williams. The look on Williams face said it all. What-tha!!!!!!

I for one am not saying that Collingwood this year is the real deal and that will win the GRand Final. I have doubts even if they'll make it that far. But at the moment they are giving us Collingwood supporters something to get excited about. And - that's all I ask. Don't give a rats if you guys hang sh%t on possible "stumbles and wobbles" :mrgreen:

GO PIES

YEAH! you tell em FG!!! give 'em hell :D

I'm off to the MCG to watch Richmond get pounded :smt075

AndyP
2nd July 2006, 02:15 PM
At this stage, it looks like you should have stayed at home, Falc. A long way back after only kicking one in the first half.

Moe Norman
2nd July 2006, 02:22 PM
tigers seem only capable of beating top 4 sides!

AndyP
2nd July 2006, 04:23 PM
Remember this little doozy when writing off the Crows?

Crows can't even get over the tigers

I think I might hate the Tigers more than Collingwood, but I'm not sure. No matter how many wins they get, I always consider them to be a bunch of losers. Could be all those 9th placings they've had.

Been a few thumpings this weekend. And most of us don't seem to be on the good side of them.

Moe Norman
2nd July 2006, 05:31 PM
i was on track for a perfect round until today's doozy.

Falcon
3rd July 2006, 02:19 PM
At this stage, it looks like you should have stayed at home, Falc. A long way back after only kicking one in the first half.

I did the next best thing... left at 3\4 time :???:

Talk about pathetic, Tigers played very well to there credit.

AndyP
3rd July 2006, 02:28 PM
I did the next best thing... left at 3\4 time :???:
Really? I never leave a game (or golf round) early. You never know what is going to happen. Mark of the year. Goal of the year. Or you could hope that Richmond have 19 on the field when a count is made, and their score is wiped.......

Flowergirl
3rd July 2006, 02:59 PM
go pies. :(

Fishman Dan
3rd July 2006, 03:10 PM
Really? I never leave a game (or golf round) early. You never know what is going to happen. Mark of the year. Goal of the year. Or you could hope that Richmond have 19 on the field when a count is made, and their score is wiped.......

....someones leg snaps and ends up literally wrapped around the opposition players' leg.

Falcon
3rd July 2006, 03:24 PM

It was the first time in a long time i've left early... trust me i wasn't the only one. Only the second time i have as well.

Plus, they were plain ordinary...it was raining and about 10-11 degrees. I was freezing my tits off! :mrgreen: God i missed the Telstra Dome yesterday.

AndyP
18th July 2006, 12:11 PM
It's heritage round this week and the 80s gear will be making an appearance.

Adelaide are wearing some rainbow piece of crap, Power will be have a lame lightning strike on the jumper, Essendon are kitting up with red shorts, and Brisbane will be wearing the "Bad News" Bears jumper. I think it's a good omen.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/594/280770dkez3.gif

For more, see here: http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=heritage06

markTHEblake
18th July 2006, 12:35 PM
shame they dont have a heritage tactics round.

Fishman Dan
18th July 2006, 12:58 PM
Perhaps Carlton will have a win... for old times sake?

connico
18th July 2006, 01:22 PM
afl is depressing me...swans are set for a drowning....

AndyP
18th July 2006, 01:28 PM
Just jump off the wagon then.

just
18th July 2006, 01:29 PM
Connico
No. They are on the way back. I have faith.
Justin

connico
18th July 2006, 01:44 PM
...ahhh faith....and im not on the wagon, im a sydneysider why wouldnt i support the swans??? iv been a swans fan since highschool when i played afl for school....

but no, they are almost dead this season, id shoot them myself to take them out of thier misery but i dont have enough bullets

brad
19th July 2006, 12:17 PM
I'm with just. The mighty fighting swans will make a come back and re-win your affections Connico, you wait.

chappy1970
19th July 2006, 02:17 PM
Perhaps Carlton will have a win... for old times sake?

Dan,
I hope so, I don't follow the Blues but I hate the Bombers. If they could finish on the bottom of the ladder this year that would be ...............SWEET

Chappy
Go Saints:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Falcon
19th July 2006, 03:38 PM
Dan,
I hope so, I don't follow the Blues but I hate the Bombers. If they could finish on the bottom of the ladder this year that would be ...............SWEET

Chappy
Go Saints:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I HATE THE BOMBERS?!?! screw both of them!

Well if that isnt the greatest 4 words i've heard together :D

You da man Chappy.... GO(we suck)PIES!

AndyP
19th July 2006, 06:08 PM
You mean you guys didn't have tears in your eyes when you heard Sheedy had been taken out by his own player, and required shoulder surgery?
I did, tears of laughter.

raidrboy
19th July 2006, 07:57 PM
You mean you guys didn't have tears in your eyes when you heard Sheedy had been taken out by his own player, and required shoulder surgery?
I did, tears of laughter.

And Gay O'Donnell is the man in the coaching box on the weekend. First time since 1980 or around that time taht Sheedy won't be pulling the strings. I reckon the bombers will break the winless streak this week.

raidrboy
19th July 2006, 07:59 PM
And I really don't think that GARY O'Donnell is gay.

AndyP
20th July 2006, 05:59 AM
I reckon the bombers will break the winless streak this week.
I have the same feeling too. They're better off without Sheedy.

Jarro
21st July 2006, 05:36 AM
looks like Aker might have really pushed Leigh Matthews too far this time :roll:

AndyP
21st July 2006, 06:31 AM
Aker's done nothing wrong.
The Lions let him shoot his mouth off when they are winning, but when they are on the other end of the ladder, the rules change.

He was pissed off when they dropped him last time. This time, it guarantees that he won't be at the Lions next year.

Coincidently, the last time he got dropped was when the Hawks came up to Carrara earlier this year.

Moe Norman
21st July 2006, 07:09 AM
he will be handy next year, this way we can leave bucks up forward more permanently.

Fishman Dan
21st July 2006, 08:20 AM
He's done everything wrong. He blatantly blows off irrespective of team rules or conditions, using his personal website as an avenue (if his column won't publish). He only has himself in the frame, and could be ar$ed about his teammates.

He plays a good game, and in the post-match interview behaves like a dickhead. The Bears will be better off without him. Having said that, i hope he isn't in the frame at Carlton

chappy1970
21st July 2006, 08:46 AM
Granted Aker is a knob, and a brilliant player to boot, but the Lions have made a rod for their own back.

They under pay him on going market rates and have allowed him to supplement his income with his own media interests.

They are as much to blame as he is. With that said I'm glad that the Saints probably can't fit him in their salary cap because I wouldn't want him there.

Someone will however pickup him up in the draft and get real bang for their buck as long as they can control his media output.

Fishman Dan
21st July 2006, 09:11 AM
I think you also have to realise that the guy calling the shots at the Bears is arguably the hardest on-baller the game has seen, and the most successful coach in the modern game.

Lethal is 10 times the player Aker will ever be... and played when the game was really tough!

AndyP
21st July 2006, 09:41 AM
The fact that he has had some of the best players in the modern game, including Akermanis, has helped just a tiny bit.

If they are good enough to drop one of their best on field last week, then good luck to them. It's not a problem for me this week.

markTHEblake
21st July 2006, 09:48 PM
cant blame aker, he gets in trouble for having opinions, so naturally he has to have an opinion on that.

BrisWesty
23rd July 2006, 06:52 PM
Glass 1/2 empty vs glass 1/2 full
Gary O'Donnell. One of the only coaches never to have won a game.
Gary O'Donnell. One of the only coaches never to have lost a game.

The Cats got over the line, to momentarily get into the 8 (now where did I put my bandwagon, I think I left it in Perth), but then Freo beat the Dees

AndyP
23rd July 2006, 06:55 PM
Gary O'Donnell. One of the only coaches never to have won a game........yet.
Gary O'Donnell. One of the only coaches never to have lost a game.........yet.
They've got to get rid of Sheedy soon, surely.

Good win by the Brisbane Lions 25 players on Saturday night. Final score 32-18.

Moe Norman
23rd July 2006, 07:47 PM
Hawks threw it away, umpires were fine.

I'm a massive umpire basher, but they made no difference to the outcome and quoting free kick stats is the singe most pointless thing you can do when bagging umpires.

If free kicks are 20-20 it doesn't mean the umpire did a good job if one side deserved 40 and the other 10.

AndyP
24th July 2006, 07:22 AM
Did you want me to list individual instances of decisions, in particular Franklin's "non-mark" in the last quarter? I think I made my point that I wasn't happy with the umpiring. Freekick counts like that are a trend for interstate games, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

And yes, the Hawks had their chance to win. Looks like I have to wait yet another year for a win up here.

Fishman Dan
24th July 2006, 08:38 AM
Gary O'Donnell. One of the only coaches never to have won a game.
Gary O'Donnell. One of the only coaches never to have lost a game.

That's $67 missed. Should have realised that neither of these teams could manufacture a win!

Bruce
24th July 2006, 08:42 AM
I missed it too. I wish I'd saved a transcript of Friday morning's chat to proved that I indeed tipped the draw between those 2 no-hopers.

dc68
24th July 2006, 09:51 AM
Did you want me to list individual instances of decisions, in particular Franklin's "non-mark" in the last quarter? I think I made my point that I wasn't happy with the umpiring. Freekick counts like that are a trend for interstate games, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

And yes, the Hawks had their chance to win. Looks like I have to wait yet another year for a win up here.

haha

McCoy
26th July 2006, 07:45 PM
At least Leigh seems smart enough to realise he needs to get something for Aker and not lose him for nothing, like what happened with Nick Stevens and Mal Michael.
The Bulldogs need height and experience, maybe they could package Aker and Bradshaw for a couple of young Dogs. Lions free up some cap space, lose a couple of veterans and the Dogs become real contenders - win/win situation. Aker would probably railroad that go to a big club.

AndyP
26th July 2006, 08:55 PM
I doubt the Lions would give up Bradshaw, as they have no replacement in the forward line for him.
I think Nick Stevens was out of contract at Port, unlike Akermanis who is still contracted to play at the Lions next year, therefore can't threaten to go in the pre-season draft.

AndyP
30th July 2006, 06:06 PM
Crawford talking about Aker in the media. Sack him!!!!!

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19955354%255E20322,00.html

Fishman Dan
30th July 2006, 09:22 PM
Another courageous comeback by the Blues - came back from 8 goals down to lose by 3 goals :roll:

AndyP
31st July 2006, 07:39 AM
I wouldn't class any goals kicked in junk time as a "comeback", especially against the Shitfish.

I'm very, very disappointed to see Essendscum off the bottom of the ladder. Shame on you Brisbane.

AndyP
5th August 2006, 03:56 PM
What's with Carlton beating Melbourne twice this year????

Back to the bottom of the ladder for the Bumblers....for now.

McCoy
5th August 2006, 07:20 PM
I was pissed at Brisbane's inept effort last week, how can you let Essendon kick that kind of score? Pathetic. But congrats to Melbourne for doing the right thing. Should be an interesting game vs the Cats - 2 teams who don't want to win.
I reckon the Lions would trade Bradshaw, they'd hope Merrett would take his place but should trade for a midfielder and a tall forward. If the Saints don't win the flag you'd think they'd be open to trades to get them over the line. Throw Bradshaw and Aker onto that forward line and they'd be scary, salary cap might be a problem though.
I thought Nick Stevens told Port he wanted out to go to the Pies when he had a year left on his contract, Port said 'screw you' and made him play it out - they then got nothing for him but prevented him going to Collingwood. So you have to admire Port doing the right thing by:
a) Screwing Collingwood over, and
b) Screwing over a player who wanted to go to Collingwood

So 2 ticks in the box for Port

Fishman Dan
5th August 2006, 07:30 PM
Phew!

markTHEblake
6th August 2006, 12:45 PM
I thought Nick Stevens told Port he wanted out to go to the Pies when he had a year left on his contract, Port said 'screw you' and made him play it out

nope. he didnt have a year left and he just said bye bye.

they then got nothing for him but prevented him going to Collingwood. So you have to admire Port doing the right thing by:
a) Screwing Collingwood over, and
b) Screwing over a player who wanted to go to Collingwood

Nope. you have to admire Port for being stupid for not getting anything for a class player. They were very keen to trade with Collingwood but they wanted to do it on their terms, by requesting a straight swap with Alan Didak, and something like a 1st round draft pick. They were in no position to bargain, as they had already lost stephens. If they had of cut their losses they still could have done well out of the deal.

McCoy
6th August 2006, 08:11 PM
Ah yes, you're more right than me about the non trade. Port wanted either Didak or Prestigiacoma plus a pick. I think at the time Collingwood were criticised for not doing the trade, but in hindsight they've probably made the right call. But still Port did force Stevens into the draft so he would go to Carlton and not Collingwood. So I still say they deserve the Pie ticks but probably an X for not helping out their own club.

How do you feel about Eddie blaming the club's "rat infested" culture for the behaviour of Tarrant? So what's Eddie blaming for Cameron Cloke? Apparently he's the one who started last weeks brawl.

Brisbane loses again, but a good effort given their injuries. I wonder if they should shop Jonathan Brown and see what they can get for him. He's a brilliant player but he's lucky to play 10 games a year.

markTHEblake
6th August 2006, 08:54 PM
How do you feel about Eddie blaming the club's "rat infested" culture for the behaviour of Tarrant?
I dont feel anything about that becuase Eddie didnt lay blame as far as i can tell. All i ever read was that he made a statement that the club had a rat infested culture at the time and its true. Even Tony Shaw admits (in context) that he didnt know exactly what Eddie was referring to, when he said "if he meant this" and "if he meant that"

Eddie cleand out a hellava lot of stuff and made sweeping changes when he took over, I have read somewhere all the stuff he did and it was interesting - nearly as bad as Carlton :-)

So what's Eddie blaming for Cameron Cloke? Apparently he's the one who started last weeks brawl.
If Cameron Cloke started it, why didnt he get fined by the club?

AndyP
10th August 2006, 08:39 AM
This confirms what we already knew:

Aussie still rules the football codes

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/08/09/1154802960672.html

Also talks about golf's decline in popularity.

Fishman Dan
10th August 2006, 09:47 AM
If Cameron Cloke started it, why didnt he get fined by the club?

There's McGuire logic if ever i've seen it.

"He hasn't been fined, therefore he couldn't have been involved" :roll:

Logic/denial. Your call.

Also talks about golf's decline in popularity

I blame Tour clubs.

AndyP
10th August 2006, 09:50 AM
I think guys like Wendell Sailor and Julian O'Neill would have fit in perfectly with the Collingwood culture. I can't believe Martin Pike played and drank at four clubs and Collingwood wasn't one of them.

markTHEblake
10th August 2006, 04:27 PM
There's McGuire logic if ever i've seen it.

"He hasn't been fined, therefore he couldn't have been involved" :roll:

Logic/denial. Your call.

Huh?

Obviously the reference to Cameron Cloke was a wind up. Unless you know soomething nobody else knows.

goughy
10th August 2006, 05:58 PM
Also talks about golf's decline in popularity.

Actually, scrapbooking has recently overtaken golf as the number one participation hobby in the world.

terryand
10th August 2006, 06:02 PM
Actually, scrapbooking has recently overtaken golf as the number one participation hobby in the world.

So this is the real reason your not out on the golf course goughy :-s

Terry.

Moe Norman
10th August 2006, 07:25 PM
Ah yes, you're more right than me about the non trade. Port wanted either Didak or Prestigiacoma plus a pick. I think at the time Collingwood were criticised for not doing the trade, but in hindsight they've probably made the right call. alsmot true. At the last minute when Port realised the Pies wouldn't budge they said they'd take Didak OR Cole for Stephens. At the time Didak was a #3 Draft pick who had shown alot of promise and had a cult following, recent event shw it was the right choice. But, Cole was a #7 pick from memory and hadn't played a game yet. He now props up the Essendon Reserves and has played 2 games for the bottom placed team this year. Perhaps in hindsight, it wasn't such a good call....

BrisWesty
10th August 2006, 08:17 PM

Yep, my wife will be scrapbooking her heart out at camp tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, and then running a day for those who couldn't get to camp on Saturday week. Hopefully she'll have a couple of grand of sales or more for her efforts!

Creative Memories must be tour scrapbooking equipment. I don't think Mrs BW would appreciate me calling her customers "hos".

So no golf for me for a 3 Saturday stretch! Saving some energy to take on AndyP.

terryand
11th August 2006, 09:06 PM
Firday night football.....Well,well,well.

AP, you would have mixed emotions with this pending result :-s

Terry.

markTHEblake
11th August 2006, 10:59 PM
http://www.greentales.com/files/pear.jpg

terryand
12th August 2006, 05:57 AM
How about this Blakey :mrgreen: Would this sum it up better

http://k53.pbase.com/u35/jwalk/large/23396340.rocks.jpg (http://www.pbase.com/jwalk/misc)
http://img23.exs.cx/img23/8189/1800.gif

gazgolf1
12th August 2006, 07:36 PM
Quick AFL fans...switch over to channel 10 to watch Leigh Matthews getting out-coached.

AndyP
13th August 2006, 08:35 AM
Firday night football.....Well,well,well.

AP, you would have mixed emotions with this pending result :-s
No? I'd want Essendon to lose.
Looking for Hawthorn to tank against Carlton today, to put the Bombers back in their place. Don't let me down, boys.

Fishman Dan
13th August 2006, 09:36 AM
Quick AFL fans...switch over to channel 10 to watch Leigh Matthews getting out-coached.

Out-coached? Not likely. That's the most lucklustre looking bunch of blokes i've ever seen. They didn't come to play at all.

Beaten by 100 by a team that's been beaten by 100 3 times this season. Not even Carlton has managed that..... yet!

Fishman Dan
13th August 2006, 02:37 PM
Bug...

gazgolf1
13th August 2006, 03:02 PM
Out-coached? Not likely. That's the most lucklustre looking bunch of blokes i've ever seen. They didn't come to play at all.

I don't rate Terry Wallace as a coach at all but he probably sat down during the week and thought "who's the only bloke that kicks goals for the Lions?....Bradshaw,ok everytime the ball goes into the Lions forward line 3 Tigers go with Bradshaw" and it worked.So what does Lethal do he leaves blokes like Pask and Merrett in the forward line all night...neither kicked a goal and they had 5 marks between them.
Sherman played well along with Power,Roe and a few others.Pity the coach could'nt get his thumb out of his arse long enough to try some players in different positions and move guys that simply were'nt doing the job.

Moe Norman
13th August 2006, 03:04 PM
Wallace is an exceptional coach. He's taken an ordinary Tigers side to 9-10 two years running without the best layer on the list for half the games and worked wonders with a limited Bulldogs list in the late 90's.

Fishman Dan
13th August 2006, 03:14 PM
I don't rate him much as a coach, but you have to respect what he extracts from the players he commands.

gazgolf1
13th August 2006, 03:39 PM
Wallace is an exceptional coach.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Nah!!

Fishman Dan
13th August 2006, 03:49 PM
Bug...

...ger!

AndyP
13th August 2006, 07:06 PM
Early call Fish, but it remained true despite the scare. Great first half by my lads.

I don't rate Walletace either. Overpaid twat!

Fishman Dan
13th August 2006, 07:09 PM
Early call Fish, but it remained true despite the scare. Great first half by my lads.

I don't rate Walletace either. Overpaid twat!

The miss from French in front from 20 metres was the turning point. That would have made it 3 goals with about 10 minutes to go?

BrisWesty
13th August 2006, 07:10 PM
Ah well, another year of what might have been for Geelong. Well done Freo, you deserve to stay in the 8 after knocking off Adelaide.
I'll just have to settle for winning one of the AFL Dreamteam / Supercoach comps instead.

AndyP
13th August 2006, 07:13 PM
The miss from French in front from 20 metres was the turning point. That would have made it 3 goals with about 10 minutes to go?
Maybe, maybe not. Both teams showed promise, but also showed why they are at the bottom of the ladder. Both teams missed sitter shots in front of goal, even Fev and Willo.
Hawthorn had the advantage by being the team in front, so Carlton had to make the most of every opportunity they got. I was getting a bit shirty and worried at that stage though.

Bruce
14th August 2006, 08:44 AM
Who would have thought that the form team leading into September would be Freo!!!???

The weekend showed that none of the Vic clubs are anywhere near it. Collingwood can't even knock off the bottom side to hold onto top 4.
Melbourne aren't good enough.
Bulldogs should have cemented against a team that have nothing to play for - and failed too.
Cats no longer even "mathematically possible"

McMw
14th August 2006, 04:47 PM
Who would have thought that the form team leading into September would be Freo!!!???

yeh baby....freo did WCE a huge favour yesterday!!! :mrgreen: