PDA

View Full Version : If you had this simple choice....

3oneday
22nd July 2004, 09:36 AM
OK Boys and Girls, Taylor Made R7, stock shaft :smt078 (not TP) and Taylor Made R510TP, with Speeder 757 :smt060 , what would your choice be and why ??? remember McMw, these are the only 2 choices available :lol: :lol: ....

Pete

McMw
22nd July 2004, 10:30 AM
I'll opt for the TP...

but if I had the choice, it'll be neither!!! :D

amanda
22nd July 2004, 11:01 AM
Pete - I thought you had already found your driver (the Ashton)

3oneday
22nd July 2004, 11:14 AM
Amanda,

Oh, I have found my driver. I am just interested in the views here as I have seen someone use a 510TP and he hit it no further or better than I hit that 580XD. I was simply wondering if there is a REAL benefit with the weighting etc.

Pete

Fishman Dan
22nd July 2004, 11:28 AM
The more expensive one - purely for resale value ;)

Could buy a lot of Srixon Red with that moola.

3oneday
22nd July 2004, 11:32 AM
Could buy a lot of Srixon Red with that moola.

Is that a wine ???

andylo
22nd July 2004, 11:56 AM
Will get the 510 TP if it's for the comp but if leisure occur majority of the (golf) time, I will get the R7... just for show.

In my opinion, you can feel a hotter face in TP but the R7 isn't that far away.... but I just CAN'T stand closed face driver anymore...

And no, I am not a slider! (but don't call me 'hooker' ok? :wink: )

goughy
22nd July 2004, 12:49 PM
My laymans response. I hit both at a demo day recently and was hitting the ball ok. Bad weather means I couldn't really tell which one was going further, but I'd say they were pretty close. Set to neutral the r7 was way more consistant for me. Easy fades all day. Set to draw and it was hook city. The 510tp was more about the place, but ok.

I'd take the r7, in the fairway 10 or 20 mtrs back (at worst, if not the same distance) wins for me every time.

I don't think either were any (if) longer than my 360tour with nv.

BrisVegas
22nd July 2004, 12:51 PM
I'd go with the R7 quadro-TLC-thingy. Mainly because you can vitually eliminate one side of the game off the tee just by tweaking it. 8) 8)

How much confidence would that be worth??? Bloody heaps I reckon. :D

Jarro
22nd July 2004, 12:52 PM
Pete,

i've been using the retailR7 for a couple of weeks now. Before it i had a 300Tour with a speeder 757 stiff. I've found that i'm hitting the R7 about the same distance as the 300Tour, but i'm hitting it more in the fairway than with the previous club.

I was a but unsure of how the stock shaft in the R7 would go, but i've found it to be a great performing shaft ... so good, that for the moment, i have no desire to re-shaft the club at all.

saying that, i played in a comp yesterday with a mate who was hitting his newly purchased 510TP for the first time. Now i usually have his measure by a good 20 meters off the tee, but with the new TP.. he was level pegging with me the whole day :shock: Needless to say he was very impressed. His TP however had a Blue Harrison shaft in it ... not sure what model, but it had 3.9* of torque :?

I'm happy with the R7, but i could also se why you'd choose the TP too,

.. both great clubs :D

Good luck with your choice :wink:

McMw
22nd July 2004, 12:59 PM
I'd go with the R7 quadro-TLC-thingy. Mainly because you can vitually eliminate one side of the game off the tee just by tweaking it. 8) 8)

BIG CALL that....
I've yet to come across a golf product that has a gurantee..... :wink:

BrisVegas
22nd July 2004, 01:06 PM

BIG CALL that....
I've yet to come across a golf product that has a gurantee..... :wink:

No ones suggesting there is a "guarrantee". :roll: Have you hit one? I have hit 3 of them now set up in various configurations. I found that I could hit vitually only one shape of shot (the one dialled in) no matter how hard I tried to beat the thing. For my money, that is a huge benefit, especially for someone who is inconsistent. Having the confidence to back yourself to hit one shape of shot time after time is priceless.

Jack Nicklaus lived by that motto and won 20 majors. His thinking was that you had to eliminate one side of the game, to allow yourself more room to miss.

McMw
22nd July 2004, 01:23 PM
especially for someone who is inconsistent. Having the confidence to back yourself to hit one shape of shot time after time is priceless.

Jack Nicklaus lived by that motto and won 20 majors. His thinking was that you had to eliminate one side of the game, to allow yourself more room to miss.

first off, don't think I can compare myself to the great one!!! :oops:

secondly, playing this game for x amount of years, and I still do not have one shape of shot...I have dozens...
so I very much doubt the R7 would be all that beneficial to me...

in the hands of a better player - maybe!!! :wink:

3oneday
22nd July 2004, 01:33 PM
But surely, if you say wanted to hit a fade on every hole, you could just apply lead tape to the sole plate under the toe, etc etc, which must be cheaper than the real thing.

I have set myself up with one on their website, wanting to hit the ball low with a fade (I currently hit it high with a draw), it simply said stick the 2 10 grammers in the front. I would think that I would need 2 in the front and one on the back toe (10 grammers) which means I need a TP or I buy extra weights (which I noticed you can in the US).

A simple bit of lead tape on a 510TP, which no one sees !!! is it that simple ????

Pete

BrisVegas
22nd July 2004, 01:50 PM
especially for someone who is inconsistent. Having the confidence to back yourself to hit one shape of shot time after time is priceless.

playing this game for x amount of years, and I still do not have one shape of shot...I have dozens...
so I very much doubt the R7 would be all that beneficial to me...

You've just described why the R7 would be beneficial to you and me and most amateurs.... because we hit the ball so inconsistently. What the R7 purports to do (and does for me) was reduce the spread of shots to one general shape. I'm not a great golfer - I usually shoot around 80 - so that improved consistency would HELP my scoring.

To some extent I am surprised that the R7 would be of much use to tour pro's. I'd have thought they would already have the technique or discipline to hit one shape of shot. For TM's part, they probably have to get us to believe that PGA stars use the thing so that we will feel compelled to go out there and buy one for ourselves...! :wink:

jaster
22nd July 2004, 02:05 PM
Hit both and decide for yourself, only $499 for the TP now...hmmm....I'd take the TP ;)

McMw
22nd July 2004, 02:18 PM
You've just described why the R7 would be beneficial to you and me and most amateurs.... because we hit the ball so inconsistently. What the R7 purports to do (and does for me) was reduce the spread of shots to one general shape. I'm not a great golfer - I usually shoot around 80 - so that improved consistency would HELP my scoring.

To some extent I am surprised that the R7 would be of much use to tour pro's. I'd have thought they would already have the technique or discipline to hit one shape of shot. For TM's part, they probably have to get us to believe that PGA stars use the thing so that we will feel compelled to go out there and buy one for ourselves...! :wink:

I'm not a big fan of "gimmicks"...so maybe that's why I've not taken too warmly to the R7...
I will have a hit with a MAX version soon...but even the pro at the Empire said not to muck around with the weightings...
if u had to adjust it, adjust it only for high and low...not left and right...
this basically brings more and more "doubt" and "excuses" to the game...
I'm "old school" I guess...a bad shot is 99% the result of a bad swing... :lol:

as for the pros...I'm sure the extra $$$ helps, but I'll be very surprised if many of them will have the weights tweaked for the left/right ball flight...
if anything, it'll be high/low...

JAT... 8)

Jarro
22nd July 2004, 02:26 PM
yeah i think i read that most of the pro's tend to just change the weights to help with the height of their tee-shots.

Iain
22nd July 2004, 04:04 PM
I'd take the r7, because I've already got a TP!!! Then I would go trade in both on a TP R7!! 8)

markTHEblake
22nd July 2004, 04:53 PM
But surely, if you say wanted to hit a fade on every hole, you could just apply lead tape to the sole plate under the toe,.

Many clubs have had weighting technicques, mainly in the heel though to promote draws.

The Lead tape though has an inherit risk of falling off, and then your a goner, cant use the club anymore.

I have about 4 strips on my Driver, I check it regularily becuase it did come off once.

gazgolf1
22nd July 2004, 06:34 PM
I've owned both and there is'nt really much between them.
For me the R7 is maybe a couple of metres longer than the TP,the TP wins on feel and the R7 is easier to hit straight.

Of course as always the shaft is the most important thing and I got lucky with the Penley shaft in my R7 suiting me down to the ground,would I like a TP Speeder in my R7?,shit yeah but if something is'nt broken don't fix it.

As far as the weight setup on my R7 goes it's set for neutral high and I wont be changing it anytime soon.I mean I need to hit a cut on the 7th at Oxley and on the 14th I like to hit a draw (well I try to hit a draw) :wink:
What I think is the biggest bonus that I get from the weights is perimeter weighting,well thats what it feels like to me.The face seems to square up automatically sometimes.Then again I could be talking out my arse.

Buy the R7,have a bit of fun playing around with the weights and then set em and forget em.
Better yet slide into Golf World and offer them $250 cash for an R300 Tour with a Speeder.
MMMMMMM R300 Tour. :wink:

3oneday
23rd July 2004, 07:38 AM
Penley shaft in my R7 suiting me Better yet slide into Golf World and offer them $250 cash for an R300 Tour with a Speeder.

Did you upgrade the shaft yourself ? I thought they all had the .350 hosels rather than the norm .335. Those R300 they are selling are the Japanese models aren't they ? shafts are softer than stated ??

Pete

gazgolf1
24th July 2004, 05:20 AM
Penley shaft in my R7 suiting me Better yet slide into Golf World and offer them $250 cash for an R300 Tour with a Speeder.

Did you upgrade the shaft yourself ? I thought they all had the .350 hosels rather than the norm .335. Those R300 they are selling are the Japanese models aren't they ? shafts are softer than stated ??

Pete

Pete,
the grandmaster HO :wink: Nudgeegolf was the previous owner and he had the Penley installed so I would'nt have a clue what the bore size is.
Yes they are the Jap models and the ones at GW that I've waggled did feel a touch soft.I've seen a couple at GW Virginia with X-Flex Speeders.