PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 upgrade, use on different computer?

goughy
5th June 2015, 07:27 AM
Just wondering, and am assuming this is ok. We have an old pc that's pretty stuffed and we don't use anymore, but it should be available to get the free windows 10 upgrade. So, if we upgrade it then can we use that windows 10 on another computer, if we decommission the old one (which it basically is anyway? We've always done stuff like that in the past, but generally had disks or something, and weren't using the old computer any more.

Technically we don't need it, as every other pc we have should be eligible for the free upgrade anyway. But never know when a spare license could come in handy.

Dangals
5th June 2015, 08:26 AM
Unlikely as the update is an auto installer (afaik they are not releasing an iso for it) and not something you can burn to a disc and reuse. The only way would be if you have your licence code for the existing os and once that is installed you would have to download the update to win 10 which is only free for the first 12 months

Daves
5th June 2015, 08:36 AM
What Dangals said. I have done a bit of reading on 10 and I am in no hurry to upgrade to it.

AndyP
5th June 2015, 08:40 AM
Could you make an image of the whole system and use it on another PC?

Dangals
5th June 2015, 09:07 AM
What Dangals said. I have done a bit of reading on 10 and I am in no hurry to upgrade to it.

I am using the preview build at the moment (testing it for work) and I really like the changes they have made for the most part and it is a definite improvement over 8. Once it gets to release and things like Cortana (MS version of Siri) and xbox streaming etc is activated it will be an even better platform. And for those of us in the IT game it is an interesting propect of having a single platform for apps to work across (ie an app built for the PC will automatically work on tablets, phones, xbox and any other device they release win 10 into).

Could you make an image of the whole system and use it on another PC?

possibly but I know with Win 7 onwards it was able to detect hardware changes and you would have to call them to ask to have the licence activated so it may work but not a guarantee.

goughy
5th June 2015, 10:25 AM
Unlikely as the update is an auto installer (afaik they are not releasing an iso for it) and not something you can burn to a disc and reuse. The only way would be if you have your licence code for the existing os and once that is installed you would have to download the update to win 10 which is only free for the first 12 months
This is what I was kinda wondering about. It's only an afterthought really, the pc hasn't been used in months and has been replaced by two laptops which should both be able to get the upgrade. Was just thinking as we have a licensed windows 7 on it, I could get 10 for free, then use it somewhere else if needed. I've had to ring several times for reinstalls in the past, which hasn't been a problem.

Daves
6th June 2015, 07:54 AM
I am using the preview build at the moment (testing it for work) and I really like the changes they have made for the most part and it is a definite improvement over 8. Once it gets to release and things like Cortana (MS version of Siri) and xbox streaming etc is activated it will be an even better platform. And for those of us in the IT game it is an interesting propect of having a single platform for apps to work across (ie an app built for the PC will automatically work on tablets, phones, xbox and any other device they release win 10 into).

My sticking point is the fact that you lose control over Windows Update, not whilst my A is pointing south!