PDA

View Full Version : Putting - Starting your stroke

live4golf
4th June 2015, 03:57 PM
I suck at putting, like really suck.

Wondering what your trigger is for starting your putting stroke?

Cheers,
PJ

Dangals
4th June 2015, 04:20 PM
Wondering what your trigger is for starting your stroke?

usually involves a zipper or the like 8)

live4golf
4th June 2015, 04:23 PM

Edited initial post.

Clown

:P

mrbluu
4th June 2015, 04:31 PM

Don't you only wear tracky dacks??

Dangals
4th June 2015, 04:33 PM
Edited initial post.

Clown

:P

you should have known that one of us would jump on a comment like that :roll:

On a serious note - lately I have been using a very slight forward hand press as my trigger and seems to work ok. My biggest thing lately is my longer length putts and judging my speed as I am a bit all over the shop - the putting stroke however feels fine.

Dangals
4th June 2015, 04:41 PM
Don't you only wear tracky dacks??

only on special occasions - like going to the footy as I fit right in out here

Hatchman
4th June 2015, 04:56 PM
Push back from left shoulder/arm, not pull back, not hand(s).

Wenz
4th June 2015, 06:12 PM
I've recently adopted a technique like spieth with a slight forward press towards the hole for short putts.

3oneday
4th June 2015, 06:33 PM
One of my mates told me tonight, the secrets in the dirt ;)

If you can't find help in there, you not helpable ;)

Edit, Bluu moment.... "You're not helpable" :)

timah!
4th June 2015, 07:00 PM
Shoulders PJ!! Right kicks up, left goes down...

Hatchman
4th June 2015, 07:05 PM
One of my mates told me tonight, the secrets in the dirt ;)

If you can't find help in there, you not helpable ;)

Edit, Bluu moment.... "You're not helpable" :)

Not sure how burying your putter in the green helps [emoji12].

highballin
4th June 2015, 07:14 PM
Great confidence builder when you take the putter back and it zig zags all over the place.you know straight away that's not good:?

coalesce
4th June 2015, 07:30 PM
If I'm on my practice stroke and it doesn't feel like a pendulum swing, I try and reset and have another swing - to take the hands out of it.

The counterbalanced putter helped with that too

markTHEblake
4th June 2015, 07:37 PM
Wondering what your trigger is for starting your putting stroke? I have no idea, I just start.

razaar
4th June 2015, 08:17 PM
I suck at putting, like really suck.

Wondering what your trigger is for starting your putting stroke?

Cheers,
PJMost movements in golf have muscles moving bones to counter the forces of gravity. Putting is a little different because of the exactness of the movements which require hardly any power/speed of the putter head. I like to envisage that the bones of the hands and both forearms move the putter straight back and forward by themselves without any muscular assistance. By thinking the bones move themselves concept it removes the complication of what muscles to use. This is what I do and I don't have any issues with the stroke.

Johnny Canuck
4th June 2015, 08:49 PM
Look at the hole, as soon as I focus back on the ball, my takeaway starts.

wizard_of_oz
4th June 2015, 09:27 PM
Playing off 5.9 and can't putt? Maybe you've got too high expectations to how many putts you should be making?

Hard_Pan
4th June 2015, 09:40 PM
I don't know how many know this already (apologies if you do), but I learned a neat trick some time ago that has helped me know straight away whether my takeaway is from the shoulders or from the wrists, especially on short putts. If you **** your wrists down (i.e. move your thumbs away while tucking your pinky fingers in towards your body), very slightly, if you start your takeaway with your wrists, your clubhead will noticeably curve out away from you. Gives you a chance to notice a bad putt before you make it.

live4golf
4th June 2015, 09:52 PM
Playing off 5.9 and can't putt? Maybe you've got too high expectations to how many putts you should be making? Last 2 round have been 42 and 38 putts. I suck

Johnny Canuck
4th June 2015, 09:59 PM
Last 2 round have been 42 and 38 putts. I suck

Nasty

wizard_of_oz
4th June 2015, 10:01 PM
Last 2 round have been 42 and 38 putts. I suck

Mmm, maybe a little bit of improvement to be had..probably tad too many 3 putts..What's your weakness in putting? Poor read, poor pace or poor direction?

Courty
4th June 2015, 10:39 PM
Great confidence builder when you take the putter back and it zig zags all over the place.you know straight away that's not good:?

You're supposed to watch the ball, not the putter head! :p

I feel like my entire stroke through to impact is all done between my shoulder blades.

mrbluu
4th June 2015, 11:53 PM
Playing off 5.9 and can't putt? Maybe you've got too high expectations to how many putts you should be making?
Why would u say that???

Just cos someone has a low handicap doesn't mean they can putt. I had a mate playing off 3 that ave about 38 putts a round...he is an absolute flusher.

D22marshall
5th June 2015, 06:50 AM
Make sure you are balanced solid at the hips they need to be settled and then the strike is simple Don't get too mechanical

3oneday
5th June 2015, 08:44 AM
get a lesson, tips from here will destroy you.

mrbluu
5th June 2015, 08:54 AM
get a lesson, tips from here will destroy you.
This post is sensible, the account must have been hacked!!!

live4golf
5th June 2015, 09:27 AM
Mmm, maybe a little bit of improvement to be had..probably tad too many 3 putts..What's your weakness in putting? Poor read, poor pace or poor direction?

Yes, all of the above :)