PDA

View Full Version : The 30 to 90 metre Bunker Shot

Yossarian
2nd June 2015, 07:21 PM
Hi all,

This is the one shot that I feel like I have no idea how to play consistently. When I step into a bunker in this range I am genuinely hesitant.

I am a good greenside bunker player and a gun from fairway bunkers.

How do y'all approach these mid range bunker shots?

razaar
2nd June 2015, 08:05 PM
Yoss
Let's say you have a 50 meter bunker shot from a flat lie over a low bunker lip to an elevated green to a back pin. How do you go about playing the shot? Pre-shot, shot selection, club selection, setup and technique, target and execution.

BenM
2nd June 2015, 08:14 PM
Bit of a difference between the two.

30-40m bunker shots I'd play similarly to a greenside bunker shot but take a 52 degree wedge instead of 58.

Much longer than that it's a pitch with a wedge and try to pick it fairly clean, swing length directly proportional to distance.

Courty
3rd June 2015, 03:58 PM
We have a few bunkers that play in this range... thankfully they are all flat with little or no lip to worry about. I have had consistent success over the years playing a punch with my 9 iron (striking ball first). Knowing how hard to swing is a bit of a feel thing... trial & error.

SirTop
4th June 2015, 05:27 PM
I pick it clean like a chip shot, with 1x extra or normal (depending on the conditions) club

I practice a clean pick chip shot in front of the bunker then dive in. Much better results I find that others trying to play a normal bunker shot with a longer wedge

hippo10
4th June 2015, 11:06 PM
Closer shots in your range (30-50m) are often easier played with a normal bunker shot using a PW or maybe 9i. Once the length is a bit further I'll drop back to an 8i and play a half swing getting the ball first. This is helped by putting the ball back in your stance and not swinging too aggressively. I find that this shoot is very similar to a recovery shot out of the trees etc.

Yossarian
5th June 2015, 10:49 AM
Thanks all.

Raz, I really have no firm idea on what technique I am going to use. In your scenario I would probably visualise the shot landing about 40 metre and releasing. I would probably hit a 3/4 54* trying to take a bit of sand.

WBennett
5th June 2015, 12:45 PM
Hardest shot in the game Yoss.

Don't play it as a big splashed bunker shot.

Is the sand at your course fine, soft, hard packed etc? Each of these things can make a difference.

For me on a 30m shot, I still open the stance a touch, and try to take some sand behind the ball, hoping for it to roll out.
For a 70m shot, I try to play it like a standard pitch from a similar range. Ball first then a little bit of sand.

Johnny Canuck
5th June 2015, 02:04 PM
Hardest shot in the game Yoss.

Don't play it as a big splashed bunker shot.

Is the sand at your course fine, soft, hard packed etc? Each of these things can make a difference.

For me on a 30m shot, I still open the stance a touch, and try to take some sand behind the ball, hoping for it to roll out.
For a 70m shot, I try to play it like a standard pitch from a similar range. Ball first then a little bit of sand.

So nice that you two are top mates now.

Another good deed spearheaded by the wonderful Adam Goodes.

LeftyHoges
5th June 2015, 03:37 PM
So nice that you two are top mates now.

Another good deed spearheaded by the wonderful Adam Goodes.

That's puntastic!

WBennett
5th June 2015, 03:43 PM
Goodesy brings people together.

Johnny Canuck
5th June 2015, 03:53 PM
That's puntastic!

;)

Jazz18
5th June 2015, 05:34 PM
Thanks all.

Raz, I really have no firm idea on what technique I am going to use. In your scenario I would probably visualise the shot landing about 40 metre and releasing. I would probably hit a 3/4 54* trying to take a bit of sand.

One thing I always make sure I do is to grip down if I'm playing a full shot out of a bunker. When you shuffle your feet into the bunker to get a stance you need to make up for the fact that your feet are lower in the bunker by gripping down a bit on the club. Cheers.

Captain Nemo
6th June 2015, 07:52 PM
Gotitatlast, what's your take?

Yossarian
13th June 2015, 03:58 PM
Hit one into the clubhouse today, great success.

hacker
13th June 2015, 04:53 PM

From how far away?

Yossarian
13th June 2015, 08:22 PM
About 50.

Johnny Canuck
13th June 2015, 08:27 PM

So much like.

razaar
13th June 2015, 08:44 PM
Thanks all.

Raz, I really have no firm idea on what technique I am going to use. In your scenario I would probably visualise the shot landing about 40 metre and releasing. I would probably hit a 3/4 54* trying to take a bit of sand.Yoss, the shot you have described is what is referred to as a semi splash shot. It is usually played where the sand is firm and shot height is not an issue. Unlike the splash shot, the swing path is wide and shallow with firm wrists and a wide stance. The right shoulder is kept high through the shot with the top half of the body moving through towards the target and the club finishing shoulder high. It is important to keep the clubface slightly open from start to finish. The release through the sand is always with the lead wrist, left wrist for a righty. This will keep the clubface from closing provided the back of the wrist faces towards the sky in the follow through.

TheNuclearOne
13th June 2015, 10:46 PM
http://www.shark.com/sharkwatch/instruction/tip59.php

TheNuclearOne
13th June 2015, 10:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-OKATWTpjI