PDA

View Full Version : Hogan tip that I've never seen before.

gazgolf1
31st March 2006, 07:39 PM
I opened up the April Golf Digest and Jim Flick is demonstrating a tip he got from Ben Hogan.
Apparently Hogan believed that when swinging an iron you turn around your left leg and when swinging a wood you turn around your right leg.
The idea behind it is that with an iron you want to hit down on the ball and keeping most of your weight on your left leg will help you do that and with a wood you want to hit slightly up on the ball and turning around your right leg will help you do that.
Seems to be similar to what Gary Edwin is teaching with his theory of keeping most of the weight on the left leg throughout the swing.
I thought I new a bit about Hogan's theories but I'd never seen this one.....oh well off to the range.

Toolish
31st March 2006, 10:48 PM
I always get worried when people talk about different swings for different clubs...I have enough trouble getting 1 swing to work!

Jarro
1st April 2006, 07:37 AM
well this is something that i have been struggling with lately.
I've decided to adopt the Gary Edwin approach with my ironplay ... which requires you to have the majority of your weight on the left side throughout the swing. Works great for irons, not so great for woods :( It is indeed very hard to maintain 2 different swings ... but i've found that it has improved my ironplay heaps, so i'm keen to try and make it work for the woods as well ..... just means you have to think a bit more before you step up and hit the ball :roll:

Edwin is also a huuuuge Hogan fan ;)

brad
1st April 2006, 09:21 AM
Thinking too much before I hit the ball is my problem. I don't want to add to it :)

I'm with Toolish, my one swing is hard enough to work with.

Iain
1st April 2006, 11:01 AM
Yeah I'm with Toolish. 2 swing's is too hard to maintain, The difference between woods and irons is ball position, just put the ball further back in the stance than woods to promote hitting down of the ball.

gazgolf1
1st April 2006, 03:13 PM
Yeah I'm with Toolish. 2 swing's is too hard to maintain, The difference between woods and irons is ball position, just put the ball further back in the stance than woods to promote hitting down of the ball.

thats ok if you don't have trouble getting your weight forward at impact.....like I do.

Courty
1st April 2006, 06:31 PM
Hmm. That's interseting. I have Hogan's 'Five Fundamentals' book, but I don't remember reading anything about that in it. That said, I understand the reasoning behind it. But as most others have said, it's hard enough maintaining one type of swing. It makes me think back to the video of Faldo hitting balls with different clubs. In the view from in front, you can't tell what club he is hitting (except by looking at the clubhead) as the swing is identical each time.

BrisVegas
1st April 2006, 07:58 PM
thats ok if you don't have trouble getting your weight forward at impact.....like I do.
and me too.

I think you SHOULD have a different iron swing to wood swing. Ball position, shoulder tilt, weight, spine angle and angle of attack should be different.

I can't make an iron swing to save myself.... But I know what I should be doing different!!!:oops:

Iain
3rd April 2006, 10:22 AM
and me too.

I think you SHOULD have a different iron swing to wood swing. Ball position, shoulder tilt, weight, spine angle and angle of attack should be different.

I can't make an iron swing to save myself.... But I know what I should be doing different!!!:oops:

The only reason they differ is due to the length of the club you're using for eg, driver will have a shallower angle of attack than a PW duw to be longer, and you'll have more axis tilt on the driver also.

Regardless of swing your weight needs to go onto the left foot (for r/h).

Gaz and Vegas, how do you start the downswing? Try at the top, pressing down on your left foot, that way the weight move's onto it, the hips slide a little over the leg and start to clear the hips. I've just started trying this, as I used to shift my hips too far out past my left leg. This way it doesn't go past it.

Iain