PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand ... Shaft Balance Point, Swing Weights and all that.

Deester
25th May 2015, 01:00 PM
G'day guys,

As per previous posts I'm still struggling to hit my 915F's with Rogue Black fairway shafts with any consistency ...

Use to play the 910F with the "MFT" Ahina fairway shaft in S flex, which I hit with relative (to my swing abilty) consistency.

After a little reading, it seems the Rogue's have a "higher blance point" opposed to the "lower balance point" of the Ahina's ... This has me wondering if this is contributing to the problem ? I must say that I did notice that the 915F does feel lighter overall and in the head than the 910F, but didn't really think about it at the time.

So being the tech retard I am, I am wondering if upping the head wieght (changing the 915F weights) will have the desired effect I am after in making the club feel more head heavy/lower balance point ?

I could just ditch the Rogue in the fairways, but want to tinker first.

So my question is this ...

If I use lead tape to add weight to the heads of the 915F 3 and 5 woods, will this effect the feel and balance point of the clubs. I am wanting to lower the balance point and feel more of the club head. I assume adding weight to the head will increase SW and balance point ?

If that's the right direction to head in I will then buy the right 915F weights and ditch the lead tape.

Just not sure if I am chasing my tail or if that will achieve what I am after ?

Any advice appreciated .

benno_r
25th May 2015, 01:23 PM
Based on this:

http://www.golfshaftreviews.info/index.php/category/categories/aldila/

(http://www.golfshaftreviews.info/index.php/category/categories/aldila/)http://www.golfshaftreviews.info/index.php/category/categories/mitsubishi-rayon/

(http://www.golfshaftreviews.info/index.php/category/categories/mitsubishi-rayon/)(Check the data on Rogues and D+)

I don't think there is a massive difference in balance points (less than an inch if I read it correctly). I haven't seen anywhere suggest that the Rogue is overly Counter Balanced.

Adding extra weights to get swingweight the same will have 2 effects: 1. you will have a heavier static weight club, and 2. You will soften the shaft slightly.

My suggestion is to try and see if you get lucky. And let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Ben

Jazz18
25th May 2015, 01:27 PM
G'day guys,

As per previous posts I'm still struggling to hit my 915F's with Rogue Black fairway shafts with any consistency ...

Use to play the 910F with the "MFT" Ahina fairway shaft in S flex, which I hit with relative (to my swing abilty) consistency.

After a little reading, it seems the Rogue's have a "higher blance point" opposed to the "lower balance point" of the Ahina's ... This has me wondering if this is contributing to the problem ? I must say that I did notice that the 915F does feel lighter overall and in the head than the 910F, but didn't really think about it at the time.

So being the tech retard I am, I am wondering if upping the head wieght (changing the 915F weights) will have the desired effect I am after in making the club feel more head heavy/lower balance point ?

I could just ditch the Rogue in the fairways, but want to tinker first.

So my question is this ...

If I use lead tape to add weight to the heads of the 915F 3 and 5 woods, will this effect the feel and balance point of the clubs. I am wanting to lower the balance point and feel more of the club head. I assume adding weight to the head will increase SW and balance point ?

If that's the right direction to head in I will then buy the right 915F weights and ditch the lead tape.

Just not sure if I am chasing my tail or if that will achieve what I am after ?

Any advice appreciated .

From what I understand, higher balance point shafts allow a slightly heavier head so that there is more inertia through the golf ball at impact (the head will transfer more speed to the ball by not slowing down as quickly when it hits the ball). I don't think you need to change shafts, I think you're on the right track with tinkering with the head weight and swing weight.

I wouldn't bother with lead tape. Get a weight kit and I think you'll find your preferred swing weight pretty quickly.

Deester
25th May 2015, 02:25 PM
I don't think there is a massive difference in balance points (less than an inch if I read it correctly). I haven't seen anywhere suggest that the Rogue is overly Counter Balanced.

Adding extra weights to get swingweight the same will have 2 effects: 1. you will have a heavier static weight club, and 2. You will soften the shaft slightly.

My suggestion is to try and see if you get lucky. And let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Ben

G'day Benno ...

Thanks for the links man, appreciate it. As I mentioned I'm a bit of a tech retard and struggle deciphering all the info ... Gahhh.

Regarding the effects of adding weight to the head, would be happy with both if it works out.

I'll add some tape (equal to the weight amount of the Titleist 915 weights) and see what the results are ... Will post em up if anything interesting arises from doing so.

Would it be safe to assume that I stick the tape in the same spot as where the 915F weights are located ?

Cheers,

Dee.

benno_r
25th May 2015, 02:29 PM
No worries Dee.

In regards to placing lead tape. You can put it anywhere if you are only concerned with swingweight.

If you want to put it in specific locations, the following is a guide (assuming you put it on the bottom):
Front - lower launch
Rear - higher launch
Heel - Fade Bias
Toe - Draw bias

Assuming you put it over the current Titleist weight position, it will theoretically help launch higher.

Cheers,
Ben

Deester
25th May 2015, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't bother with lead tape. Get a weight kit and I think you'll find your preferred swing weight pretty quickly.

G'day Jazz,

Thanks for the reply man.

Going to go with the lead tape first as it's the cheap option ... My golf spending has been a little out of hand recently and I'm currently pushing the boundry's with she who like's to make life uncomfortable in doing so.

The weight kits are not cheap and would need two of them, so will experiment with the lead tape before setting sail for "nasty weather"

Strange thing is, I have the Rogue Black in the driver and hybrid and hit them both the same if not better than when I was running the Ahina in them ... Just seem strange the 915F's get difficult with the Rogue's ?

Knowing me, it could all be completely mental haha ...

Deester
25th May 2015, 02:35 PM
No worries Dee.

In regards to placing lead tape. You can put it anywhere if you are only concerned with swingweight.

If you want to put it in specific locations, the following is a guide (assuming you put it on the bottom):
Front - lower launch
Rear - higher launch
Heel - Fade Bias
Toe - Draw bias

Assuming you put it over the current Titleist weight position, it will theoretically help launch higher.

Cheers,
Ben

Thanks for the info Benno, you're a champ.

Slowly getting the hang of all the tech/physics of it all ... If anything, it cool fun tinkering !

Scifisicko
25th May 2015, 03:51 PM
G'day Jazz,

Going to go with the lead tape first as it's the cheap option ... My golf spending has been a little out of hand recently and I'm currently pushing the boundry's with she who like's to make life uncomfortable in doing so.

The weight kits are not cheap and would need two of them, so will experiment with the lead tape before setting sail for "nasty weather"

Strange thing is, I have the Rogue Black in the driver and hybrid and hit them both the same if not better than when I was running the Ahina in them ... Just seem strange the 915F's get difficult with the Rogue's ?

Try before you buy...use blue tack. A blob the size of a 5c coin is about 1 SW. I used it to go up 2 sw on a set of CBs and didnt get round to replacing it with lead tape. It stayed on fine for about a year. I also used it to up the weight on a Jetspeed i used for about 5 rounds. I had about 20g on the toe!

Deester
25th May 2015, 04:44 PM
Try before you buy...use blue tack. A blob the size of a 5c coin is about 1 SW. I used it to go up 2 sw on a set of CBs and didnt get round to replacing it with lead tape. It stayed on fine for about a year. I also used it to up the weight on a Jetspeed i used for about 5 rounds. I had about 20g on the toe!

G'day mate,

Didn't even think of that ... Thanks for the tip !

Although, I just purchased a bunch of lead strips off the bay just before reading this ... Blue tack would be good to experimenting with irons SW too.

Thanks again.

TheNuclearOne
25th May 2015, 05:17 PM

Why would you waste the money on a weight kit when you can find out with a couple of bucks of lead tape whether you need it?

TheNuclearOne
25th May 2015, 05:24 PM
You haven't even scratched the surface yet Deester -

You need to SW both, taking into account grip weight if different
You need to check overall playing length of both, i'd be butting unscrewed shaft against shaft too for a length comparison
I'd be unscrewing both heads and weighing them

Get some facts then work on it from there. I'm going to assume the Rogue would be a fair bit more shaft than the made for, i'll find out when mine arrives. I'm assuming you have the MFT 80 or 82 whatever it was labelled.

It'd take 5 minutes to sort out whether extra weight will help. Just slap about 3 grams of lead on, bang 6 or 8 shots (you'll know pronto), if no good throw another 3 or so grams on and belt some. You'll know pretty fast. It will be as much about loading the shaft as anything.

yaksta
25th May 2015, 05:54 PM
Send me the 915's and I'll send you the 910's problem solved. By the way Dee I am hitting them well. Cheers

Scifisicko
25th May 2015, 06:00 PM
G'day mate,

Didn't even think of that ... Thanks for the tip !

Although, I just purchased a bunch of lead strips off the bay just before reading this ... Blue tack would be good to experimenting with irons SW too.

Thanks again.

No worries. If you bought a pack of 8 strips (?) they should do the job and look a bit neater than blue tack. Blue tack is for emergencies (or tooling around with weight).

Jazz18
25th May 2015, 06:03 PM
Why would you waste the money on a weight kit when you can find out with a couple of bucks of lead tape whether you need it?

Mainly because I couldn't be bothered weighing the lead tape in bits and pieces to mimic the right weights of the titleist weights. The time it would take me to sort it out with lead tape first would be worth the extra cost of buying the weight kit. Obviously Deester wants to go the other way. All good.

Jazz18
25th May 2015, 06:07 PM
G'day Jazz,

All good Deester. It's so hard to find a good 3 wood even when there's a so many good ones these days. Getting it right is so hard, so when you do, please let us know how you went. I'd be interested to hear about how you work through it. Good luck.

TheNuclearOne
25th May 2015, 06:22 PM
Mainly because I couldn't be bothered weighing the lead tape in bits and pieces to mimic the right weights of the titleist weights. The time it would take me to sort it out with lead tape first would be worth the extra cost of buying the weight kit. Obviously Deester wants to go the other way. All good.

Why weigh something that is easily found at 1 gram per inch or 1 gram per 2 inches. Pretty easy. I also wouldn't be worried about mimicking the weights. Heck, if it worked you could just buy a single weight, win win. You could also just leave the tape there, the pro tour is full of taped up clubs. No shame in it.

Daves
25th May 2015, 07:21 PM
The Titleist weights and weight kits have been ridiculously priced since the 913s were released. I have a few 910 weight kits, that cost me less than a single weight costs now.

Jazz18
25th May 2015, 10:27 PM
Why weigh something that is easily found at 1 gram per inch or 1 gram per 2 inches. Pretty easy. I also wouldn't be worried about mimicking the weights. Heck, if it worked you could just buy a single weight, win win. You could also just leave the tape there, the pro tour is full of taped up clubs. No shame in it.

Fair enough. As you can tell, I've never used lead tape. Just a personal preference. Never needed it till now either so if there is a way around it, I would go that way. Never said there was any shame in it, just prefer not to put it on my clubs. Cheers

TheNuclearOne
25th May 2015, 10:34 PM
Fair enough. As you can tell, I've never used lead tape. Just a personal preference. Never needed it till now either so if there is a way around it, I would go that way. Never said there was any shame in it, just prefer not to put it on my clubs. Cheers

Love my lead tape :D

benno_r
25th May 2015, 10:56 PM
Love my lead tape :D

eewwwwwww :)

A lot of time goes into matching shaft and head colours, can't have all that dirty grey messing it up!!!

Shane788
26th May 2015, 04:15 AM
Love lead tape. More the better :D

TheNuclearOne
26th May 2015, 06:22 AM
eewwwwwww :)

A lot of time goes into matching shaft and head colours, can't have all that dirty grey messing it up!!!

Prissy, prissy! :D

Deester
26th May 2015, 10:59 AM

You need to check overall playing length of both, i'd be butting unscrewed shaft against shaft too for a length comparison

Get some facts then work on it from there. I'm going to assume the Rogue would be a fair bit more shaft than the made for, i'll find out when mine arrives. I'm assuming you have the MFT 80 or 82 whatever it was labelled.

It'd take 5 minutes to sort out whether extra weight will help. Just slap about 3 grams of lead on, bang 6 or 8 shots (you'll know pronto), if no good throw another 3 or so grams on and belt some. You'll know pretty fast. It will be as much about loading the shaft as anything.

G'day Mate ...

Have since sold the 910F's, but before I did I compared shaft length (both where stock 3 wood length), weighed the heads and there was 1g diff and from memory there was like 2-3g's static weight diff in shafts with no head ... Chappy kindly offered to SW them, but in my hast I totally forgot to take them to him ... Doh. The 910F felt heavier and more solid in the hands, the 915F's just feel lighter through the swing.

I'll see how the lead tape goes and report back ... Pretty sure it's just a mental thing, just strange there's such a diff in the way I hit the 915F to the 910F. I hit the 915 D2 and 915H reasonably well with the Rogue Black's.

Deester
26th May 2015, 11:02 AM
Send me the 915's and I'll send you the 910's problem solved. By the way Dee I am hitting them well. Cheers

Hahaha ... Geez don't tempt me. I miss the 910F's mate, I'm sure the 915F's will come good.

Good to hear you're hitting 910's well, for a stock set up they are a pretty nice fairway wood with a bit of heft and a solid feel.

chappy1970
26th May 2015, 11:20 AM

Dee,
Jon has providing some fantastic info in this post.

Let's schedule some time one day to break both clubs down, so to speak, and identify what the differences are. It might be something minor that needs a tweak.

I have no doubt, we could get the 915 performing like the 910 you loved with a little effort

Deester
26th May 2015, 11:49 AM
Dee,

Let's schedule some time one day to break both clubs down, so to speak, and identify what the differences are. It might be something minor that needs a tweak.

I have no doubt, we could get the 915 performing like the 910 you loved with a little effort

G'day Chappy ...

Yeah mate, would love to do some comparisons and see what the differences are ?

Although, in my divine wisdom I sold the 910F to fund the No1 grips I had you install ... Gahh.

Thinking once I have some available funds again I'll pick up a 910F 15* again and A/B them. Will be in touch to decode the fairway wood mystery.

Thanks again for last week btw ... You're a champ !

TheNuclearOne
26th May 2015, 05:08 PM
Dee,

I don't doubt that at all.