PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Fly-Z+ anyone

gazgolf1
16th May 2015, 03:16 PM
Will probably trade a driver in tomorrow at my club and I'm thinking about the latest Cobras, loved the Bio Cell+ but could'nt hit it consistently enough. I like the idea of the moveable weight on the Fly-Z+. Anyone a fan?

Dangals
16th May 2015, 03:28 PM
Yeah it's a solid club, both stealth and rqrox have one and hit them well. It is stupid easy to hit and very forgiving with the weight back

gazgolf1
16th May 2015, 03:32 PM
with the weight back

I think this ^ is the key for me, I hit the Bio Cell Plus a bit low.

meh
16th May 2015, 03:38 PM
Try the non plus version, too.

JADO75
16th May 2015, 04:05 PM
On the bum end of a round using my + with an ad mt 7s for the first time now. Even with one arm I've hit some beauties, seems quite forgiving although the sound & harsher feel off the face will take a little getting used to

gazgolf1
16th May 2015, 04:13 PM
seems quite forgiving although the sound & harsher feel off the face will take a little getting used to

Yeah Perci said they were a bit loud.

FuzzyJuzzy
16th May 2015, 04:17 PM
Gaz,

Have you sussed out this year's My Golf Spy driver test? They rate both of the new Cobra drivers really highly. If I was in the market - and assuming the Titlesit 915D didn't exist:) - I'd be eyeing off the Cobras and the Callaway BBA 815 DBD

gazgolf1
16th May 2015, 05:11 PM
Gaz,Have you sussed out this year's My Golf Spy driver test?

I will check it out :smt023

TheNuclearOne
16th May 2015, 05:30 PM
Gaz,

Have you sussed out this year's My Golf Spy driver test? They rate both of the new Cobra drivers really highly. If I was in the market - and assuming the Titlesit 915D didn't exist:) - I'd be eyeing off the Cobras and the Callaway BBA 815 DBD

You'd be missing out on the best of the bunch ;)

spanner039
16th May 2015, 05:45 PM
Didnt work for me a long way behind the callaway, didnt like the sound or feel either. Looks like im in the minority.

FuzzyJuzzy
16th May 2015, 05:55 PM
You'd be missing out on the best of the bunch ;)

Best of the bunch? MGS rave on...and on...and on......annnnnndddd ON about how objective their testing is. And that may be the case, but I get pretty sick of hearing it myself. Anyway, they had a massive hard-on for the G25 for two years running - it even rated really well in the test that ran a year after the G25s release - but at a quick glance they seem surprisingly luke-warm on the G30...

TheNuclearOne
16th May 2015, 06:02 PM
Many people looking for a low spin bomber that don't try the LS will be behind the 8 ball. It's combination of low spin penetration and forgiveness is absurd.

FuzzyJuzzy
16th May 2015, 06:16 PM
Many people looking for a low spin bomber that don't try the LS will be behind the 8 ball. It's combination of low spin penetration and forgiveness is absurd.

That seems to be in line with opinions on OzGolf and elsewhere, which is why I was surprised MGS didn't rate it higher.

TheNuclearOne
16th May 2015, 06:30 PM
That seems to be in line with opinions on OzGolf and elsewhere, which is why I was surprised MGS didn't rate it higher.

Don't stress about MGS, it's just one of the many pieces of information out there to assimilate. So much goes into these matters, including the stock lengths Ping knock these out at with the standard shaft.

davidw88
16th May 2015, 07:31 PM
I think it was a good driver, I just didn't like the feel of it. You would hit a good one and it would feel dead.

Dangals
16th May 2015, 07:43 PM
I think it was a good driver, I just didn't like the feel of it. You would hit a good one and it would feel dead.

This is what I found as well....considering just getting the stock 9 as even though I have my 10.5 set at 9.5 it still gets a little high at times.

TheNuclearOne
16th May 2015, 09:36 PM
The Z+ is composite construction leading to a feel many don't like and call harsh without much feedback. The Z is all titanium, like the BC+ and Pro.

wizard_of_oz
16th May 2015, 10:07 PM
The Z+ has a muted feel and sound, I like it. Tried it on the 9* setting and it was low bullets for me.

JADO75
31st May 2015, 11:35 PM
Early days yet but loving my Z+. Had previously used a Bio+ with AD MT 7s which gave me everything I wanted in a driver but after a little swing change at the end of last year I tried a SLDR again & have been bashing it ever since although I've also owned & used 1 or 2 of nearly every oem driver released this year apart from Mizuno & the Vapor's but have always gone back to my 10.5 sldr.
Got my hands on a black Fly Z+ three weeks ago & first comp game up i strapped the MT 7s in with weight forward, set at 10.5 & got mixed results. The sound was the first thing that got my attention, not tinny but by no means a solid sound either. Performance was so so but that was more due to me having not played for 5 weeks due to an arm injury. Saw enough in it to use it the following week but this time I flipped the weight back, dropped the loft to 9.5 & used the MT again. I was swinging better, the sound was definitely more palatable & while I hit some very good drives it just didn't seem "right".
Played comp yesterday & used an Aldila Tour Green 65s with the weight forward & loft set at 11. First swing of the day was a crap block cut that went plenty enough & was playable but was still crap enough that I was thinking I was in for another stinker of a set up. Well couldn't have been more wrong! Ball flight was a lovely med/high height with a little draw to it & was more than long enough. The sound also changed to a more than pleasant tone & shots that weren't exactly middled (toe & heel) produced more than acceptable results.
I don't have any #'s to show you but spin definitely seems low with the weight forward & increases with the weight back. To the eye it looks Sldr low but that may be just me. It's certainly more forgiving than the sldr out of the heel & toe. Flight definitely is higher with weight at the back with loft at the same setting with weight forward.
Will it replace my sldr? Not sure yet but it'll get another run tomorrow & I look forward to having a shoot out against my SLDR's (10.5 retail & tour, 12) R15 430 9.5 & Cally DBD 10.5.
For what it's worth I swing 110+, play off 5, have a crappy short game & a $2 head.
*(No animals were harmed in this mini review)

wizard_of_oz
1st June 2015, 12:00 PM
Nice review jadho.. What's the ball flight, spin, dispersion and forgiveness vs your SLDR?