PDA

View Full Version : One legged swing tips?

LarryLong
14th May 2015, 10:29 PM
Here's one for the weird thread department. I'm currently playing with a healing stress fracture in my back foot (without a moon boot, so I'm not going full Goughy!) and I'm finishing each swing with my back foot in the air to avoid putting any pressure on the fracture. I've previously had problems with poor weight transfer and a reverse pivot, so in a way this could be a good thing for me if I can get it working.

Saturday I played my first comp round for months, and had -8 in a par comp. I drove the ball as well as I ever have, straighter than usual and probably longer than my normal length, which was really interesting. However, my irons didn't work well at all, I couldn't hit a green to save myself. Mostly hooks.

My theory here is that with more forward movement than usual, I'm probably getting a little bit more in-to-out on my swing with the ball in the usual position near the middle for the irons. I think the fix for this will be to move the ball further forward in my stance, and play everything off my front foot. Would that make sense?

Johnny Canuck
14th May 2015, 11:05 PM
You beat Yoss by 3 in a par comp off one leg. Fantastic.

Hard_Pan
14th May 2015, 11:29 PM
My theory here is that with more forward movement than usual, I'm probably getting a little bit more in-to-out on my swing with the ball in the usual position near the middle for the irons. I think the fix for this will be to move the ball further forward in my stance, and play everything off my front foot. Would that make sense?

I do something similar due to a knee problem. As you've pointed out iron shots tend to hook or pull. What I've done to get around this is move the ball further forward (i.e. left for a right hander) and shorten the back swing.

I think the 'stack and tilt' swing system (for want of a better term), is also similar to this.

oldracer
15th May 2015, 01:09 AM
Here's one for the weird thread department. I'm currently playing with a healing stress fracture in my back foot (without a moon boot, so I'm not going full Goughy!) and I'm finishing each swing with my back foot in the air to avoid putting any pressure on the fracture. I've previously had problems with poor weight transfer and a reverse pivot, so in a way this could be a good thing for me if I can get it working.

Saturday I played my first comp round for months, and had -8 in a par comp. I drove the ball as well as I ever have, straighter than usual and probably longer than my normal length, which was really interesting. However, my irons didn't work well at all, I couldn't hit a green to save myself. Mostly hooks.

My theory here is that with more forward movement than usual, I'm probably getting a little bit more in-to-out on my swing with the ball in the usual position near the middle for the irons. I think the fix for this will be to move the ball further forward in my stance, and play everything off my front foot. Would that make sense?that'll teach you to play Vic G C barefooted!!!!!!

Yossarian
15th May 2015, 08:16 AM
You probably need to turn and not slide. Imagine there is a shaft bunting up against your left hip and you can't touch it.

gotitat last
15th May 2015, 08:33 AM

hope you get well soon anyway,so can play to your max.potential.i myself have had issues with lower back problems in the past and almost gave the game away,but that was because of my horrible flat swing.thank goodness i didn"t as my shoulder plane is now "in the groove".

LarryLong
15th May 2015, 09:13 AM
You beat Yoss by 3 in a par comp off one leg. Fantastic.

Only 3? :D

I do something similar due to a knee problem. As you've pointed out iron shots tend to hook or pull. What I've done to get around this is move the ball further forward (i.e. left for a right hander) and shorten the back swing.

I think the 'stack and tilt' swing system (for want of a better term), is also similar to this.

Hadn't thought of shortening the backswing, but I guess I should aim for more control and it can't be a bad idea.

that'll teach you to play Vic G C barefooted!!!!!!

Karma is a bitch, eh? :)

You probably need to turn and not slide. Imagine there is a shaft bunting up against your left hip and you can't touch it.

That makes a lot of sense, I do tend to slide a bit with both feet on the ground. I'll give that a go.

hope you get well soon anyway,so can play to your max.potential.i myself have had issues with lower back problems in the past and almost gave the game away,but that was because of my horrible flat swing.thank goodness i didn"t as my shoulder plane is now "in the groove".

Cheers!

markTHEblake
15th May 2015, 11:53 AM
I don't get it there shouldn't be any weight on your back foot at the finish. ?

LarryLong
15th May 2015, 01:03 PM

There are a few 'I don't get it' aspects of my swing to be honest, but I guess there's that moment when you transfer your weight and push yourself onto the front foot, lifting the right heel and pushing off your toes. That's the bit I can't do.

gotitat last
15th May 2015, 02:47 PM
absolutely spot on-basically it means that it's a major issue with the swing and being on two legs eventually,will not solve the issue.
actually,this could be a blessing in disguise,because actually admitting a problem is the first step to solving it.

LarryLong
16th May 2015, 06:13 PM
Update: 36 points today, and the irons were much straighter with the ball off the front foot. So much so that I'm considering switching to the Greg Chappell on drive swing permanently. Driving was good again, but I did hook a couple when I forgot to not slide. Thinking about it, I think I hit more greens today than I have in at least a year. Meanwhile, my playing partners were making stork jokes all the way around.

Strangely, with the new swing I was a club and a bit longer than usual. I air-mailed a couple of greens before I worked it out, and had a couple of WTF moments, but the end result was pretty pleasing. Thanks OzGolf brains trust!

gotitat last
16th May 2015, 06:37 PM
Update: 36 points today, and the irons were much straighter with the ball off the front foot. So much so that I'm considering switching to the Greg Chappell on drive swing permanently. Driving was good again, but I did hook a couple when I forgot to not slide. Thinking about it, I think I hit more greens today than I have in at least a year. Meanwhile, my playing partners were making stork jokes all the way around.

Strangely, with the new swing I was a club and a bit longer than usual. I air-mailed a couple of greens before I worked it out, and had a couple of WTF moments, but the end result was pretty pleasing. Thanks OzGolf brains trust!
exactly what i try to do also-in your case you were forced to challenge the norm,and you were amazed by the results.
that's why lateral thinking in golf is the only way to progress.