PDA

View Full Version : Car Accident - discussion

andylo
30th March 2006, 10:11 AM
Well just withness a car accident when I come to work this morning. Spent 2 mins to roughly draw out the situation - after all a pics = 1000 words ;)

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/681/accident0ov.th.gif (http://img77.imageshack.us/my.php?image=accident0ov.gif)

So as you guy can see it was a busy road. The bus was stopping at the bus stop (1st lane from left), then took off. For some reason it needs to reach the FAR right side to turn into the street. It indicated, we 2nd lane car all gave way, then the bus goes a bit, waited for the 3rd lane gave way, the 3rd lane did gave way too....

Now the accident happen...

Not sure if the bus driver cannot see car from the 4th lane? or the driver on 4th lane didn't see the bus, the bus proceed to turn right and just when it reach the 4th lane a green purgeot 306XT reach the spot at normal driving speed, the bus hit the side of the car!!!

Luckily the pug's driver and the passenger walks out no problem but the driver obviously is very angry, finger pointing lanes 1, 2, 3, 4 to the bus driver and I suppose he means wtf you are doing crossing 4 lanes in one go.

In usual case if its a car the driver crossing 4 lanes in one go would be in fault but this time is a BUS and bus + trucks got "First Priority". So its very argueable.

What do you guys think?

3oneday
30th March 2006, 10:14 AM
There is only 3 lanes he crossed in your diagram.... so the guy in the 4th lane wasn't really there......

Moe Norman
30th March 2006, 10:17 AM
bus at fault.

BrisVegas
30th March 2006, 10:17 AM
Extremely well described.

I guess the little sign on the back of the bus demanding right of way means a bus can carve across 4 lanes with impunity.

I feel sorry for the frog in the Pug. Probably the last thing he was expecting was a bus to whack into him from "left field"... My bet is it's the Pug driver's fault for not giving way... Not that I agree with it, but that's what I reckon the law would say...

Fishman Dan
30th March 2006, 10:18 AM
In most circumstances you'd allow for the bus to pull out, but there are drivers out there who give way to no one and wouldn't have batted an eye-lid. From your description though, it's also possible that they never saw him coming.

Then again, if 3 lanes are stopped to give way, you'd think the 4th lane would sense something was happening and slow down..

connico
30th March 2006, 10:20 AM
Pugs at fault, police will say he was in the middle of an an intersection and that is illegal...

Doing something illegal = your fault in an accident most of the time

i am assuming that there is traffic in front of those cars

AndyP
30th March 2006, 10:26 AM
Is that picture to scale?

For those of us who live in Brisbane, can you tell us where the accident occurred?

BrisVegas
30th March 2006, 10:27 AM
Where's Matt_3_Jab's opinion on this one??

andylo
30th March 2006, 10:31 AM
Is that picture to scale?

For those of us who live in Brisbane, can you tell us where the accident occurred?

Fortitude Valley, Wickham Street. The conner on the right is Cash Converter/McWhiter Center.

The pic is up to scale in alo standard. The conner is really that tight.

AndyP
30th March 2006, 10:36 AM
I had a feeling it might be there. That's crazy that the bus has to come across all that traffic in peak hour.

Moe Norman
30th March 2006, 10:44 AM
if the car that was hit was stationary it's his fault, otherwise bus is at fault.

andylo
30th March 2006, 10:47 AM
The car is hitted when driving thru so its moving.

McMw
30th March 2006, 11:36 AM
that's just bad planning by the Land Transport...
is that bus-stop really that close to the intersection???

Stoney
30th March 2006, 11:56 AM
Being a person with too many years experience doing car insurance this is an interesting one to ponder. As I no longer do car insurance I want ponder for too long.

I believe that there is nothing in the Qld road rules that actually give buses clear right of way over any other vehicle other than when they leave a bus stop. To change lanes they must act as all other vehicles on the road and give way accordingly.

If the guy that was hit was proceeding through the intersection legally (not ruining a light etc) I would say the bus is at fault 100%.

FYI, I understand that BCC busses are self insured and have their claims managed by a broker in Brisbane. The instruction to all drivers is to tell anyone they hit "look at the sign". I actual fact the busses are responsible for more claims than they actually ever pay.

A Lo, if your only a whiteness don't get too involved, report the facts only. The guy who car was hit should have insurance and all insurance companies know how to handle the BCC. They don't let them get away with anything.

Moe Norman
30th March 2006, 12:05 PM
I believe that there is nothing in the Qld road rules that actually give buses clear right of way over any other vehicle other than when they leave a bus stop. To change lanes they must act as all other vehicles on the road and give way accordingly.
this is correct, unfortunately most bus drivers choose to ignore this fact.

Toolish
30th March 2006, 12:27 PM
I concur with the bus at fault call.

From what I remember the give way to buses sign only applies when letting them back into the left lane from a bus stop, not to cross other lanes.

brad
30th March 2006, 01:13 PM
Was there a passenger ? :shock:

Bet there wasn't much left of the Pug. My experience is that the driver of the smallest vehicle is always at fault :(

Matt 3 Jab
30th March 2006, 02:29 PM
i missed this post, well im not great at traffic but i did do 14 weeks of it lol
I would say the bus is at fault, the car isnt doing anything illegal, its driving along, the bus needs to cross 3 lanes of traffic, it doesnt have really the right to just jump across all the lanes IMO, the only rule about giving way is when a bus needs to make a wide turn i think.
I dont think there is a question of law, more common sence and the bus driver should have waited for a clear break in the traffic (if there was one) to move acrros the intersection, how i see it anyway.

connico
30th March 2006, 02:44 PM
If it was peakhour traffic that would mean its traffic logged right??..i would still say the pug was at fault as it looked like he stopped in the middle of the intersection??? Was he still moving?? or creeping??? he he just break before he got hit???if the pug get hit and it was the bus drivers fault wouldnt there be another car behind the pug that would have gotten hit?? or did it give way...

meh best let the insurance company settle it...

andylo
30th March 2006, 02:45 PM
that's just bad planning by the Land Transport...
is that bus-stop really that close to the intersection???

No sh1t... its really that close.

Good to have someone have technical experience on this sort of thing (Stoney thanks)

AndyP
30th March 2006, 02:46 PM
He didn't stop in an intersection. The bus was turning off a side street from the main road.

A-Lo said the car was at normal driving speed, but at that hour I doubt they would have got upto 50kph.

andylo
30th March 2006, 02:47 PM
If it was peakhour traffic that would mean its traffic logged right??..i would still say the pug was at fault as it looked like he stopped in the middle of the intersection??? Was he still moving?? or creeping??? he he just break before he got hit???if the pug get hit and it was the bus drivers fault wouldnt there be another car behind the pug that would have gotten hit?? or did it give way...

meh best let the insurance company settle it...

Connico the Pug was just driving on his own lane like normal so the vehical is moving.

connico
30th March 2006, 02:50 PM
ahhh i c now, it was turning into a side street...and the pug was going the same way...bahaha ops, was to busy thinking that the traffic was moving in the opp direction lol....busses fault..hehe

dc68
30th March 2006, 05:04 PM
There is only 3 lanes he crossed in your diagram.... so the guy in the 4th lane wasn't really there......

there is 4 lanes as far as I can see

Webster
30th March 2006, 05:40 PM
I give up. What is the answer Andylo?

Fishman Dan
30th March 2006, 07:20 PM
"In a box intersection, you may not enter until your exit is clear"

Trivia - Who said that in The Young Ones?

Fishman Dan
30th March 2006, 11:19 PM
As who..

connico
31st March 2006, 01:05 AM
talking about trashed cars, i just saw on my way to the city and back, yes you prob have seen the time stamp its like 1am in the morning...a trashed ferrari...red...tan leather interior...wog that looked ok(from the crash) but the car was ****ed...write off. The dude had to be cut out of the car....and managed to wiggle himself out...man those italian cars are built solid...

BrisWesty
31st March 2006, 08:17 AM
If the bus crashed into the side of the Peugeot, how is the driver going to be able to point at the sign on the REAR of the bus?
Go you Pug driver.

Fishman Dan
31st March 2006, 09:47 PM
You mean Jertsi, but no - he was the landlord.

Actually, a bit of a trick question. He was just a vampire (not a consignment of very hard drugs).

Here's an easier one though - which band played in the living room that episode?

markTHEblake
2nd April 2006, 10:00 AM
Knowing your devious mind that is a trick question. If i remember rightly the vampire was eaten by the lion, so that was the only episode where there was no band and they used a Lion Tamer act instead. (and no that was not googled).

Trivia. I posted another youngones quote today, where ?

Ducky
23rd April 2006, 02:46 AM
Two chicks in match-box cars had an intersection accident outside the pub we were at on Friday night. I could think of nothing worse than having an accident and 20+ drunks coming outside to stir things up.

Webster
23rd April 2006, 10:14 AM
cat-fight!

Ducky
23rd April 2006, 07:15 PM
There were a lot of tears, but not many slaps thrown or hair pulled.