PDA

View Full Version : Smart watches?

goughy
11th May 2015, 01:29 PM
Any got one (ok, I know Courty has). I've always kinda liked the pebble, and now they're under a hundred US I'm tempted to bite. I do get notifications on my garmin watch, but it's battery life is terrible as are most smart watches. So wondering if anyone's rocking one out there and do you like them, particularly if you do have a pebble.

ZENNON
11th May 2015, 01:44 PM
The Moto360 ads gave me a chuckle:

Moto 360 - Golf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7yUJOSBcYk

Moto 360 - Pianist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fitF_wljwOo

Moto 360 - Businessman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xq-MYFyZYU

Moto 360 - Architect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yEMLM2PUgY

Moto 360 - Couple
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ecms2Tk9Y

Moto 360 - Holiday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0oPJk3Ajl8

Toolish
11th May 2015, 08:57 PM
I have a Garmin 920 and love it, battery life seems ok depending on how much exercise I do. I was tempted to go the vi vocative but wanted a bit more exercise functionality.

It really depends what you want out of it I guess.

goughy
11th May 2015, 09:17 PM
Bit of fun. I like the notifications on my Fenix 2 but the battery life is crap when using them. I'd been wondering if there was a way to use it for golf too, since it's also designed around waypoints, but would be a real pain.
I bit and ordered one tonight.

Toolish
11th May 2015, 09:25 PM
I was thinking about the vivo active mainly for golf but I can't wear a watch whil I play so that killed that!

goughy
11th May 2015, 09:31 PM
I am the same, but I did wear one once and didn't notice it after one hole.

Courty
13th May 2015, 08:27 PM
First Apple Watch golf review is here (http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/13552-What-have-you-bought-this-weekend-for-golf?p=1207121&viewfull=1#post1207121).

As mentioned there, I was going to try FunGolf GPS next, but when I started looking into it, many of the features are limited to the paid version, which I'm not prepared to pay for at this stage. I went out for a quick 9 this afternoon, so I tried another one on the list, Hole 19 (https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/hole19-golf-gps-scorecard/id794462227?mt=8).

I initially set it to the 'Advanced Stat' mode, which captures shot-by-shot info including the club used and result of the shot. It's pretty detailed, almost replicating GameGolf, but in this mode the watch only functions as a GPS just like the free version of GolfShot. It wasn't until I switched back to basic mode that I could input anything on the watch itself. In basic mode, it allows you to capture your total score, no. of putts, and whether you hit FIR (no image as I grabbed the screenshots on a par 3). It can obviously back-calculate whether you hit GIR as well. These days they are only rudimentary stats, but enough for many.

http://i.imgur.com/FpRFcrj.png

http://i.imgur.com/FX4ejk5.png

In summary, it was easy enough to use for the basic stats. I personally would prefer to capture the advanced stats, but at this stage that is beyond the functionality of the watch. What I'd really like to see is an app that capture Strokes Gained stats entirely through the watch, but that may be a while off (or never).

goughy
13th May 2015, 09:23 PM
Was the lack of advanced starts to do with you not having the paid version of the app, or they just didn't work through the watch? I've been looking at some stuff regarding the pebble watch and golf apps, and it seems with the main two I've found if you use the free version it's pretty limited too. But the paid version have much more functionality. With Swing By Swing app($14/yr subscription) you can enter score and stats (fw, bunkers, putts etc) plus measure shot distance by club, all actionable from the watch.

What has me wondering with this app are some of the features in it, which seem to be able to be turned off. It can give club recommendations by distance. And also gives wind direction and elevation changes and can take both into account and give you an effective distance to target rather than only the actual. I'm guessing these features would make the app unusable under our rules, but I don't actually know.

From what I can see this app currently only works with pebble and Samsung gear watches, but if it supports those two you'd have to think they'll add apple watch and Android wear in the future.

Courty
13th May 2015, 09:39 PM
I'd be putting money on it's not available in the free versions, or the developers haven't got around to setting it up on the watch yet.

Courty
21st May 2015, 08:53 AM
First Apple Watch golf review is here (http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/13552-What-have-you-bought-this-weekend-for-golf?p=1207121&viewfull=1#post1207121).

As mentioned there, I was going to try FunGolf GPS next, but when I started looking into it, many of the features are limited to the paid version, which I'm not prepared to pay for at this stage. I went out for a quick 9 this afternoon, so I tried another one on the list, Hole 19 (https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/hole19-golf-gps-scorecard/id794462227?mt=8).

I initially set it to the 'Advanced Stat' mode, which captures shot-by-shot info including the club used and result of the shot. It's pretty detailed, almost replicating GameGolf, but in this mode the watch only functions as a GPS just like the free version of GolfShot. It wasn't until I switched back to basic mode that I could input anything on the watch itself. In basic mode, it allows you to capture your total score, no. of putts, and whether you hit FIR (no image as I grabbed the screenshots on a par 3). It can obviously back-calculate whether you hit GIR as well. These days they are only rudimentary stats, but enough for many.

http://i.imgur.com/FpRFcrj.png

http://i.imgur.com/FX4ejk5.png

In summary, it was easy enough to use for the basic stats. I personally would prefer to capture the advanced stats, but at this stage that is beyond the functionality of the watch. What I'd really like to see is an app that capture Strokes Gained stats entirely through the watch, but that may be a while off (or never).

Here's a GolfWRX article & interview on Hole19: http://www.golfwrx.com/302774/talking-wearables-in-golf-apple-watch-with-hole19/

goughy
21st May 2015, 10:31 AM
Thx Courty. Hadn't heard of that one before. I'll take a squizz, granted it doesn't have an app for pebble.

Edit to add : out of interest I emailed them today and they replied that the do plan on adding support for pebble as well, though don't have a date yet.

AlexMc
15th June 2015, 10:17 PM
Pulled the trigger on an Apple Watch today (42mm Sport Black). 3 weeks delivery...

SirTop
15th June 2015, 10:25 PM
Pulled the trigger on an Apple Watch today (42mm Sport Black). 3 weeks delivery...

Nice one, am getting one myself in a few weeks, or at least I'll be ordering one.

Looking forward to mucking around with it and seeing what golf apps will come in handy.

Three weeks waiting time is a bit lame though

SirTop
16th June 2015, 12:23 AM
Ok, ordered one tonight.

Space grey sports with the black band

Three long weeks wait now

:(

goughy
16th June 2015, 06:05 AM
Embarrassingly I've had 3 people ask me if my Pebble was one of those apple watch thingies! The world really doesn't think anything other than apple exists! I tell them no, I don't have to charge mine every day and it's waterproof so I can swim with it ;)

Shock horror, still haven't had a game of golf to check out how mine works yet. Who'd have thought?

SirTop
16th June 2015, 08:06 AM
Embarrassingly I've had 3 people ask me if my Pebble was one of those apple watch thingies! The world really doesn't think anything other than apple exists! I tell them no, I don't have to charge mine every day and it's waterproof so I can swim with it ;)

Shock horror, still haven't had a game of golf to check out how mine works yet. Who'd have thought?

Goughy what's it like as a smart watch so far and what apps are you using with it?

goughy
16th June 2015, 03:29 PM
Mate, I reckon it's quite a difference from the experience of an apple watch or Android watch. It certainly won't have the support of them, but it depends on exactly what you want. I've had a Garmin for the last year as a day to day watch that could also receive (though not interact with) notifications. And I think that is where they're great. But my Garmin only had a day and a bit battery life with Bluetooth enabled and I've gotten sick of continually having it on the charger. Now that it's just a running watch it lasts me a week.

And that's why I didn't want an android watch (apple not in the picture for me, but really no better if not worse in the battery stakes). I already new continually charging it would suck. Also, none of them are waterproof, and I won't own one if it's not.

It probably send like (and would look like to most people) a toy by comparison, but it gives me notifications fine, and has the weather etc. The newer models do look a lot better, but I wanted to try one or for a while and with the price drop just bit. I use an app called notification centre which gives me more options, and also allows me to select from 20 user defined canned responses to reply to messages with. I think it'll also allow me to start the phone listening so I can voice reply too. The new model has a microphone so you can reply using that.

I like that the screen is always on, with a backlight I can activate by clicking my wrist. I've been trying out various activity trackers on it, and have been getting about 4 to 5 days battery out of it. Current favorite is called Plexfit which will sync to Google fit.

Haven't had a chance to golf with it yet, but there's a number of apps that work with it.

The screen is a bit retro kitch, but I don't really mind that. Gonna be a lot less of these around so it's something different. As I said what your listing ml in the screen you pick up in battery life. Up to 10 days on the upcoming new steel model, and that's with like a 130ma battery. I already have to charge my phone daily, but at least both phone and tablet have wireless charging so I just have a qi charger on my bedside table. I think all the watches should be wireless charging which would help them solve the waterproof issue.

Haven't really tried that many apps, really I mostly want notifications and the ability to partially reply. Probably get pebble tasker at some stage, to automate a few things. Used the music app a bit for switching tracks while out running, or while driving.

SirTop
17th June 2015, 04:28 PM
Mate, I reckon it's quite a difference from the experience of an apple watch or Android watch. It certainly won't have the support of them, but it depends on exactly what you want. I've had a Garmin for the last year as a day to day watch that could also receive (though not interact with) notifications. And I think that is where they're great. But my Garmin only had a day and a bit battery life with Bluetooth enabled and I've gotten sick of continually having it on the charger. Now that it's just a running watch it lasts me a week.

And that's why I didn't want an android watch (apple not in the picture for me, but really no better if not worse in the battery stakes). I already new continually charging it would suck. Also, none of them are waterproof, and I won't own one if it's not.

It probably send like (and would look like to most people) a toy by comparison, but it gives me notifications fine, and has the weather etc. The newer models do look a lot better, but I wanted to try one or for a while and with the price drop just bit. I use an app called notification centre which gives me more options, and also allows me to select from 20 user defined canned responses to reply to messages with. I think it'll also allow me to start the phone listening so I can voice reply too. The new model has a microphone so you can reply using that.

I like that the screen is always on, with a backlight I can activate by clicking my wrist. I've been trying out various activity trackers on it, and have been getting about 4 to 5 days battery out of it. Current favorite is called Plexfit which will sync to Google fit.

Haven't had a chance to golf with it yet, but there's a number of apps that work with it.

The screen is a bit retro kitch, but I don't really mind that. Gonna be a lot less of these around so it's something different. As I said what your listing ml in the screen you pick up in battery life. Up to 10 days on the upcoming new steel model, and that's with like a 130ma battery. I already have to charge my phone daily, but at least both phone and tablet have wireless charging so I just have a qi charger on my bedside table. I think all the watches should be wireless charging which would help them solve the waterproof issue.

Haven't really tried that many apps, really I mostly want notifications and the ability to partially reply. Probably get pebble tasker at some stage, to automate a few things. Used the music app a bit for switching tracks while out running, or while driving.

Thanks mate for sharing, sounds like a good mix of functionality and battery life.

I'll post up a review of the Apple Watch when I get it and take it out for a spin.

Here's a good article I found helpful:

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/05/golfers-should-love-the-apple.html

AlexMc
20th June 2015, 07:26 AM
Nice one, am getting one myself in a few weeks, or at least I'll be ordering one.Looking forward to mucking around with it and seeing what golf apps will come in handy.Three weeks waiting time is a bit lame thoughThe three week delivery time has turned into arriving Monday - less than a week...

SirTop
20th June 2015, 11:40 AM
The three week delivery time has turned into arriving Monday - less than a week...

Spot on, I ordered mine about a week ago, informed 3 weeks delivery, arrived yesterday - woo hoo!

!@#$%^&* this is a great gadget.

Highlights;

Siri - actually works.
Found Siri difficult on the phone in the past, but just leaning toward the watch could accomplish a lot of tasks you used to have to drag the phone out for, unlock it, open the app etc.

- Just say to the watch "hey Siri, send a text message to James saying - I'm running a bit late sorry, I'll see you at 10.30" and it launches messaging, opens a new sms and fills it in with the "send" button ready to press.
Same works a treat for setting reminders, alarms, opening apps, getting directions to a place etc.

Pre-set replies for SMS are brilliant - get an SMS, press reply, choose from 10 or so presets you can customise. These could probably cover 75% of my needs.
Quick replies are great, rather than messages building up or delayed replies to people.

Where the hell did I put that phone in the house - One button press on the watch - makes the phone chime so you walk around and find it easily

Glances - swipe up and they're like shortcuts to your fav apps - weather, batter %, heart rate (86 bpm at the moment apparently), shazaam etc

Answering calls on the watch in the car, the couch when the phone is too far away, etc works a treat. No one has commented on the quality being any less or even knew I was speaking on the watch.

Battery life seems good so far, I flogged it yesterday and from 11am, didn't hardly stop using it to some degree. Used probably around 45% from 11am to 11pm.

Only gripe I have so far, a key reason for getting it was for notifications on the wrist for emails and SMS - so I could react if needed when the phone was off, on conference calls, walking around etc.
At the moment Email notifications don't come through to the watch as a pop up, but if I go into the email app it's there. Annoying but sounds like it's planned for the next update.

Anyway, lots of fun and I can see this being a fantastic productivity tool.

Trying out Golfshot and Hole 19 on Sunday with it, looking forward to that.

JLee
22nd June 2015, 10:43 AM
I have been a long time user of Garmin golf GPS watch and more recently Pebble Steel using it with an iphone app called Golf Pad. Although Pebble was a decent smart watch, it was so so with Golf Pad (which I found to be a great golf GPS app on its own).
Now I have iwatch. Unfortunately Golf Pad is still so so with iwatch. Too many glitches to really like it. As it often hangs on the watch side. I am now playing around with GolfShot app. So far si good with iwatch.
BTW, iwatch is great as a smart watch. I think its the best smart watch out there at the moment.

SirTop
22nd June 2015, 11:01 AM
I have been a long time user of Garmin golf GPS watch and more recently Pebble Steel using it with an iphone app called Golf Pad. Although Pebble was a decent smart watch, it was so so with Golf Pad (which I found to be a great golf GPS app on its own).
Now I have iwatch. Unfortunately Golf Pad is still so so with iwatch. Too many glitches to really like it. As it often hangs on the watch side. I am now playing around with GolfShot app. So far si good with iwatch.
BTW, iwatch is great as a smart watch. I think its the best smart watch out there at the moment.

I assume you mean the Apple Watch?

I got one too and it's fantastic.

Trialled Hole 19 yesterday and found that I didn't trust that the distances it gave me were right.

Had Golfshot on there as well and I wasn't too sure either, so I'll have to trial them both out on a practice round I'd say.

To be honest nothing feels as good as my Garmin S2 watch especially as it just works, is always on and changes to the next hole automatically.

JLee
24th June 2015, 01:27 PM
Yep. Agree. Dedicated device like Garmin bulletproof.

mrbluu
24th June 2015, 02:06 PM
I assume you mean the Apple Watch?

I got one too and it's fantastic.

Trialled Hole 19 yesterday and found that I didn't trust that the distances it gave me were right.

Do these things go together???

Have you thought of getting a laser??

SirTop
24th June 2015, 02:29 PM
Do these things go together???

Have you thought of getting a laser??

Yes and no

Hole 19 has different readings for each hole than my trusty Garmin S2 Watch so I don't trust it and wore my Garmin Watch instead today.

Tried the Golfshot app as well and it didn't look great and changing holes manually is a pain after enjoying the S2 watch automatically doing all that.

Thanks to my AGC winnings, I used that to get the new Bushnell Tour X rangefinder which is nice.

I like using the GPS watch for average distance then hone in with the RF.

I'll try again with the apps and see how I go.

mrbluu
24th June 2015, 02:40 PM
Yes and no

Hole 19 has different readings for each hole than my trusty Garmin S2 Watch so I don't trust it and wore my Garmin Watch instead today.

Tried the Golfshot app as well and it didn't look great and changing holes manually is a pain after enjoying the S2 watch automatically doing all that.

Thanks to my AGC winnings, I used that to get the new Bushnell Tour X rangefinder which is nice.

I like using the GPS watch for average distance then hone in with the RF.

I'll try again with the apps and see how I go.
Maybe using a laser would have helped your round at Carnarvon???

SirTop
24th June 2015, 02:43 PM
Maybe using a laser would have helped your round at Carnarvon???

Not even the hand of God would have helped my round at Carnavon.

Marginally better today with 32 points playing alongside Titty the flusher.

Courty
24th June 2015, 04:59 PM
No GPS, watch or otherwise, will replace my laser. I want to be able to use my Apple Watch for recording stats. None of the current versions of Golfshot, Hole19 etc. do what I want, but some of them will in the near future now that more functionality has been made accessible to the app developers.