PDA

View Full Version : Travel cases...

Jerrymoo
11th May 2015, 08:05 AM
Looking to do a couple of golf trips this year, so I'm going to buy a travel case.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience on the issue of hard versus soft cases?

I can pickup a soft case easy enough; wondering if a hard case is worth it, or just overkill?

Been looking at this, seems like a good product:

http://www.skbcases.com/sports/sku.php?cat=16&pid=74

wizard_of_oz
11th May 2015, 08:17 AM
There are pros and cons for soft and hard cases. I like to travel light so my preference is a hybrid of sorts called the Eagles and Birdies Weekender. It acts as a golf bag, will fit a full set, semi rigid outer shell and soft top with padding, is small and compact, and lightweight. Cons is that you won't have any space to put other junk besides what is essential but for someone like me who travels light, this doesn't matter. The hard shell cases offer good protection, but they are heavy and take up a lot of space to store when unused and if you are lugging it around, it may not fit the boot of smaller taxis.

Jerrymoo
11th May 2015, 08:20 AM
Ah, snap — gotta fit in the taxi, good point.

freddy a
11th May 2015, 09:37 AM
I travel a fair bit for work and bring my clubs a fair bit I have the Mizuno Tour Travel Soft case absolutely brilliant, I just wrap a towel around the heads for extra protection.
When I get t the airport I just make sure to hail down a station wagon taxi not a massive issue.

BayBum
11th May 2015, 11:44 AM
Eagles and Birdies 200 Deluxe, on advice from fellow OG's.

Best golf purchase I've made !

Had clubs,shoes,5 days worth of golf attire + 2 weeks casual clothes & a suit. All tucked away nicely to Max out my 30kg weight limit :)

markTHEblake
11th May 2015, 12:49 PM
Ah, snap — gotta fit in the taxi, good point. Yup. Even soft cases can be a struggle to fit into Asian taxis. Wife and kids don't usually mind sitting in the back seat with my golf crap on their laps. But the hard case gives you no flexibility whatsoever. If travelling with others they all gunna look at you because everywhere they go it's a pain in the bum because of your stupid big case

Jerrymoo
11th May 2015, 02:08 PM
All good points.

Still, I'm paranoid about my driver shaft getting broken, so I still wanna go with the hard case... crazy, right?

hippo10
11th May 2015, 03:04 PM
I use a soft case and as others have said wrap towels and clothes around the heads. If you're worried about your driver take the head off (if you can easily) and then I put an old broomstick that's longer than the driver shaft in the bag so that if it ever lands on the end the driver shaft doesn't take the force of impact.
The other crap thing about a hard case is you can't fold it up and it takes up heaps of space in your hotel room if you don't need it for a couple of days.

Scifisicko
11th May 2015, 03:47 PM
I use a soft case and as others have said wrap towels and clothes around the heads. If you're worried about your driver take the head off (if you can easily) and then I put an old broomstick that's longer than the driver shaft in the bag so that if it ever lands on the end the driver shaft doesn't take the force of impact.
The other crap thing about a hard case is you can't fold it up and it takes up heaps of space in your hotel room if you don't need it for a couple of days.

Great suggestion, also someone on here sent me a driver shaft in skinny cardboard tube...i thought OHOH when i saw it.... but on opening, i found the sender had taped it to an old DG shaft. That would also work. Another vote for E&B soft case here.

simmsy
11th May 2015, 03:51 PM
I have cut a broomstick down to be about 3" longer than my driver shaft.
I carry the driver head in hand luggage.
I also get a hardhat and put on top of the broomstick.

AlexMc
11th May 2015, 06:31 PM
Club Glove Burst Proof with a stiff arm?

markTHEblake
11th May 2015, 07:44 PM
I carry the driver head in hand luggage.
Be careful. airline/aviation rules sometimes say "no sports equipment". if you get someone on a bad day you could end up putting your lovely driver head into the rubbish bin. I wouldnt do it. its perfectly safe in the travel bag or your suitcase.

tell me about it, the number of times i have tripped over the bastard in the middle of the night. mind you, i have trouble finding my room, all those doors look the same to me.

simmsy
12th May 2015, 10:44 AM
It's a paper weight??
;)