PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Tomorrow

Grunt
29th March 2006, 07:41 PM
Can't say too much till you guys in QLD see it but watch it. If you are in NSW I will fill you in later. A new Driving Range idea coming soon to Australia

connico
29th March 2006, 08:14 PM
your not talking about a indoor driving range where ever stall has an auto ball feeder and screens coupled with a launchy are you??? Cos im work on a project to deliver that to the city right now, seems like a good project. but i dont think its fantasic

Grunt
29th March 2006, 08:28 PM
Nope, it was a driving range with balls microchipped to trace where you hit them with various distances getting different scores. The various targets have diifering scores. It is scored on handicap level and the further out the target the higher the score. It looked like great fun that also gave some practice. Would be a great OzGolf comp can see it now with all the sledging.

connico
29th March 2006, 08:43 PM
o yeah, iv seen those balls and a demostration of that. Was a moorepark and they are considering putting it in. Its based on the wifi technology but they are finding it hard getting a ball made and that will have a good ball flight...

Also in air tracking isnt possible as yet, but they are working on it, and the compression of the ball is sometimes affecting the chip

Jarro
29th March 2006, 08:50 PM
man i'd love to shag that Kim Watkins :smt016

markTHEblake
29th March 2006, 09:00 PM
pic jarro - send us a pic.

any chance her maiden name is Lee, Oh, or Jun ?

benstone
30th March 2006, 10:55 AM
I take it this http://www.topgolf.com/ is what you are talking about ? If so, I used to live a couple of miles from the first ever site in the UK. You have a membership card that is used to track your TopGolf handicap which is based on your scores. The scoring is a bit like tenpin bowling, where you can get doubles etc. The targets have a regulation size cup in the centre and they used to do a hole-in-one competition where anyone that had a hole-in-one in the first 6 months of the centre opening was entered into a draw for a car. The system can be set up for different games, which is great for kids as some of the games just involve the closest targets.

Overall it is a nice idea. Sometimes the ball wouldn't register if you hit a target, but this was a few years ago so they have had plenty of time to iron out any bugs. My only problem was that the place was very busy, which was good news for the owners. However, it is nice way to practice as you get instant feedback on where your shots are going (as long as you hit the targets).

Courty
30th March 2006, 12:16 PM
That's the one.

brad
30th March 2006, 01:22 PM
Looked good to me too, but it still has the same problem as every driving range - it can't prepare you for a new brighton lie ;)

Jarro
30th March 2006, 04:27 PM
pic jarro - send us a pic.

any chance her maiden name is Lee, Oh, or Jun ?

not one of her best shots i'm sure, but you get the idea anyway :mrgreen:

http://www.hottestontv.com.au/profiles/images/540_0_h.gif

Courty
30th March 2006, 04:30 PM
From last night's show:

http://www.beyondtomorrow.com.au/stories/ep30/stills/topgolf1.jpg

http://www.beyondtomorrow.com.au/stories/ep30/stills/topgolf2.jpg

Jarro
30th March 2006, 04:31 PM
she actually had a pretty decent swing 8)

miro
31st March 2006, 09:15 AM
I had this bought to me as a private equity investment some 6 months or so ago. Didn't think it would make money then, don't think it will make money now. My major concern was Sydney where I simply don't think land costs support this sort of use (note the terry hills driving range is currently for sale). My major concern in the rest of the country is that we are cheap bastards as a nation and I suspect will be unwilling to pay the additional cost to beat balls into a paddock.

benstone
31st March 2006, 12:04 PM
I had this bought to me as a private equity investment some 6 months or so ago. Didn't think it would make money then, don't think it will make money now. My major concern was Sydney where I simply don't think land costs support this sort of use (note the terry hills driving range is currently for sale). My major concern in the rest of the country is that we are cheap bastards as a nation and I suspect will be unwilling to pay the additional cost to beat balls into a paddock.

Let me just say I have got no association with TopGolf. I thought the same as you, that people wouldn't go for the increased cost over a normal driving range. However, having been to the original centre in Watford, UK on several occaisions (which has a couple of traditional ranges within 5-10 miles), it seems that it attracts a slightly different audience from the usual range crowd. It is a cross between tenpin bowling and golf, and so a lot of non-golfers would go there ie work parties, families. It seemed less intimidating to people who were there just to wack some balls at the targets. The important piece is that you potentially get feedback from every shot (as long as you hit the target). You can see who can hit it the longest, or who has the highest score, as the computer keeps a running total like tenpin bowling. It is, I would imagine, a high set-up cost, but could be a goer in the right location.

markTHEblake
2nd April 2006, 10:27 AM
not one of her best shots i'm sure, but you get the idea anyway :mrgreen:

http://www.hottestontv.com.au/profiles/images/540_0_h.gif

You know what i want to say but if I do, and golfer69 has gone of his medication again he will go berko.