PDA

View Full Version : SA: Monthly event (CONFIRMED Saturday June 6): Barossa GC

Chilled
5th May 2015, 12:34 PM
In keeping with our monthly tradition it's apparently my turn this month to pick a course! I have a pro shop voucher to use at Barossa GC (thanks Kapunda GC) so I'm thinking that might be a worthy destination for this month.Been a good 2 or 3 years since I played it last but I've played it quite a few times and I don't mind it....it's not a bad country course. From memory I think I used to be able to get on the course on a Saturday after the members which might have been around 10 or something, but I'd have to check exact timing.I don't know any members unfortunately.

Green Fees: Normally $35 (without member) + comp fee, but at the moment they have a special, $30 + comp fee

I've also noticed that they say the following on the website "Call the club to check on bulk booking fees"...so we may be able to get a discount if a few of us go.

Alternatively there is a Drummond club discount: "Green Fee Rate: $24 for 18 holes. Subject to availability. You must show DC membership card upon arrival."

If you are a member of South Lakes GC, Fleurieu GC, Millicent GC, Port Augusta GC you have full reciprocal rights, and 50% off for Clare GC, Tanunda Pines GC, and Wirrina GC.

Saturday June 6.....Following people are CONFIRMED attending:

1. Chilled
2. Highballin
3. wazamac
4. HatchmanSS76
5. SPOT AVAILABLE
6. thecollective
7. Wenz
8. SPOT AVAILABLE

TWO SPOTS STILL AVAILABLE, SEE YOU GUYS THERE : )

Hatchman
5th May 2015, 01:23 PM
You're all going to laugh until it hurts when you read this after the Kapunda Open chop fest.
I've been asked to play A2 Pennant for the Mid North (they must be desperate for players) so will only be available Sat/Sun 24th/25th or 30th/31st. Preference to 24th/25th and Saturdays in comp to help get to anchor :D ready for S.A Champs.
If this doesn't suit the many that's bad luck for me :( as Barossa is a good course and I'd be very interested in how much it has changed since last time played over 10 years ago.

coalesce
5th May 2015, 02:15 PM
If we played any day except Saturday, there is also a deal through golf link at the moment for 2 people to golf with cart for $59

http://golflinkdeals.com.au/deal/south-australia/golf-and-drinks-for-2-at-barossa-valley-golf-club--2

Hatchy, 24th/25th is Sun/Mon - I presume you mean 23rd/24th not 24th/25th and that your preference would really be 23rd or 30th?

I don't think I can make a date in May work. Early June is better for me, but as Hatchy said, bad luck for me if that doesn't suit others.

Hatchman
5th May 2015, 02:20 PM
Yep got the dates one day out.
Was looking at the 2014 calendar on my work wall as I need/use both at work.

Chilled
5th May 2015, 02:30 PM
Doesn't need to be May specifically, just trying to keep up the monthly game thing. I'm happy with whatever suits most people.

Hatchman
5th May 2015, 02:40 PM
Scratch May 31 but 30 is ok.

highballin
5th May 2015, 06:26 PM
Any weekend ok for me at this stage.

marcel
5th May 2015, 08:18 PM
I'm away from May 14 and don't really have time prior to that. Back June 5 if timing of this gets extended

wazamac
5th May 2015, 08:28 PM
I'm in. I can hook the ball into the trees anywhere/ anytime.

Chilled
5th May 2015, 09:18 PM
Ok, May could be a problem for some so let's make a tentative date of June 5.

Hatchman
5th May 2015, 10:31 PM
Ok, May could be a problem for some so let's make a tentative date of June 5.

June 5 is a Friday.

You using my 2014 calendar?

Hard_Pan
5th May 2015, 10:58 PM
Friday 5 June.. I'd love to join you guys but I'll have to see if I can wrangle another Friday off work..

By the same token don't let this change anything.. if I can't make this one I'll do the next one (or the next!)

coalesce
5th May 2015, 11:11 PM
I don't think it will be a Friday. He probably means 6th if we are trying to do a Saturday

Chilled
6th May 2015, 05:27 AM
Yep, June 6, Saturday.

nadg63
6th May 2015, 06:53 AM
Possible, depends on knee and car situation!?

coalesce
6th May 2015, 09:25 AM
I should be ok for this on June 6 - the Crows are away

Hatchman
6th May 2015, 10:32 AM
At this stage June 6 seems to be ok for me.
Put me in dark pencil.

thecollective
6th May 2015, 10:45 AM
June 6 is good for me at this stage.

Chilled
6th May 2015, 11:12 AM
Just updated the OP. So far we have 5 confirmed starters for Sat June 6. I'll give it another week to see if the others can confirm and I'll make a phone call to Barossa GC.

Hard_Pan
6th May 2015, 11:34 AM
I think they have a Sat comp.. so you guys will join the comp or play after the last group hits off?

Hatchman
6th May 2015, 12:50 PM
We would join in the comp. I need the round to help me get to anchor :D.
Those that don't want to go in the comp don't have to and it won't matter if your playing in a group that has some who are.

I think it would be safe to book two group slots by the end of the week.

Wenz
6th May 2015, 12:50 PM
Could be keen on this!
Put me in light pencil...will confirm by end of week!

Chilled
6th May 2015, 01:03 PM
Hard_Pan, Sat 6th ok for you?

I think it would be safe to book two group slots by the end of the week.Might be able to scrounge up enough people for three groups though?

Could be keen on this!
Put me in light pencil...will confirm by end of week!Done, light penciled.

Hard_Pan
6th May 2015, 04:13 PM
Dunno if I can make it yet.. as above, will confirm by the end of the week.. if I can make it, I might bring a mate from the club with me.. if that's OK?

highballin
6th May 2015, 07:18 PM
Ok for me

marcel
6th May 2015, 08:05 PM
Winter Medal that day. We only have 4 a year so I'll have to give this a miss.

Chilled
6th May 2015, 08:36 PM
Dunno if I can make it yet.. as above, will confirm by the end of the week.. if I can make it, I might bring a mate from the club with me.. if that's OK?No probs at all.

wazamac
6th May 2015, 08:52 PM
This is the Queens birthday long weekend if this helps anyone make a decision. We have an ambrose on the same long weekend at the Vines on the Monday 8th June to celebrate the clubs 90th
birthday if anyone is interested- $ 20 members, $ 35 guests , 11:30am bacon and egg rolls for lunch, 1:00 pm shotgun and a roast dinner afterwards, if anyone is interested?

Hard_Pan
8th May 2015, 07:55 PM
I'm out fellas. Too many things on that Saturday that I seem to be at the hub of.

I'll look forward to the next one..

Hope all you that can make it have a great one!

Cheers!

Wenz
8th May 2015, 08:50 PM
I'm in.

Talart
11th May 2015, 09:58 PM
Queens birthday long weekend hosting guests in my B and B so working will curtail my travelling. May June is club championships for us and Io am in the hunt this year still.

Chilled
13th May 2015, 09:13 AM
Updated OP. 7 confirmed at this point so I'll make a call this friday to book in two tee slots if possible.

Wenz
13th May 2015, 10:49 AM
C'mon someone else (nadg), make it 2 groups of 4.

Chilled
18th May 2015, 11:17 AM
Ok I've made a first call and the pro was not available at the time, they will get back to me. But the person on the other end seems to think it shouldn't be a problem. We are probably looking at times around 8:45 - 9:00am. They have two comp sessions 7-9am and 11-1pm or something like that, so I elected for the earlier time. I was a bit surprised but like West Lakes they actually have permanent Tee times which are already pre-booked by members. Personally I hate that and that was one of my major gripes with being a West Lakes member a couple of years ago.....but anyways, we have to work with the systems in place. I don't think two tee times will be a problem.

TBH I didn't really think much about negotiating green fees as personally I like to support the country clubs and plus we do already have some members here who have drummond club available which I assume would be ok to use on a Sat, but I'll check. I will also ask about that bulk fees thing.

So at the moment I'm just waiting for a call back from the Pro and we should be good to go with two tee times, fingers crossed : )

Chilled
18th May 2015, 03:13 PM
Barossa GC just got back to me and we now have two groups booked in for the 6th, at 8:46 and 8:52.

There's only bulk group discounts on 16 or more. I mentioned some of us have Drummond Club cards...and Ian the Pro there said we can use those on sat and he will give the rest of the non DC holders a green fee of $27 :thumbup:

There's one slot left if anyone stumbles across this thread and wants to join in.

All done guys, see you there on the 6th! :D

Hatchman
18th May 2015, 03:20 PM
Cheers for that Chilled.
Another round on road to anchor here I come :). Finish in quick time I might make it to Kapunda and get another one in.

Chilled
18th May 2015, 06:03 PM
Cheers for that Chilled.
Another round on road to anchor here I come :). Finish in quick time I might make it to Kapunda and get another one in.Oh yeah and I should have mentioned, it's a stroke round on the 6th too....lol :D

wazamac
18th May 2015, 06:16 PM
Thanks Chiiled,
See you up there for what will surely be an interesting day, especially stroke on an unfamiliar course.:) Could be a long day!!!!!

Chilled
19th May 2015, 07:17 AM
Thanks Chiiled,
See you up there for what will surely be an interesting day, especially stroke on an unfamiliar course.:) Could be a long day!!!!!Yeah tell me about it, especially with the way I was playing last weekend :(

Hatchman
19th May 2015, 10:06 AM
Yeah tell me about it, especially with the way I was playing last weekend :(

Chin up, we can have a NAGA shoot out. I surely go in as favourite.

Chilled
19th May 2015, 01:03 PM
Chin up, we can have a NAGA shoot out. I surely go in as favourite.A race to the bottom, I like it!

highballin
19th May 2015, 06:25 PM
Chilled might have the 8th player asked Andrew if he wanted to play. Going to let me know in a couple of days if he can make it.

wazamac
19th May 2015, 07:43 PM
Don't like your chances of getting another game at Kapunda if we are all talking about taking the toilet paper prize home.:D

Chilled
20th May 2015, 08:27 AM
Chilled might have the 8th player asked Andrew if he wanted to play. Going to let me know in a couple of days if he can make it.Excellent!

Don't like your chances of getting another game at Kapunda if we are all talking about taking the toilet paper prize home.:D:D

Hatchman
20th May 2015, 12:53 PM
Don't like your chances of getting another game at Kapunda if we are all talking about taking the toilet paper prize home.:D

If your sitting second for the loo paper prize to me I'll let you have that and go to Kapunda to have a crack at the 2 1/2 doz eggs.

wazamac
20th May 2015, 03:17 PM
If your sitting second for the loo paper prize to me I'll let you have that and go to Kapunda to have a crack at the 2 1/2 doz eggs.

I could probably do with some loo paper with all of the dribble come out of employees mouths around me the last couple of days.=P~

highballin
22nd May 2015, 03:47 PM
Spot still available Andrew is a no go.

nadg63
27th May 2015, 04:32 PM
Hey, this could work out if I can scrounge a lift ;)

Not played in weeks but what the hell, that's a long weekend so extra knee recovery time - also, I may be able to pick up my latest car on the way home which will be sat in Gawler!?

So anyone give me a lift?

wazamac
27th May 2015, 05:33 PM
Hey, this could work out if I can scrounge a lift ;)

Not played in weeks but what the hell, that's a long weekend so extra knee recovery time - also, I may be able to pick up my latest car on the way home which will be sat in Gawler!?

So anyone give me a lift?

I could, and I could give you the money owing for Champs at the same time.

nadg63
27th May 2015, 05:50 PM
I could, and I could give you the money owing for Champs at the same time.

Cheers WM, pencil me in Chilled whilst I sort out various things to try and make them all happen on the day :)

Chilled
27th May 2015, 06:12 PM
Done.

wazamac
27th May 2015, 06:15 PM
Cheers WM, pencil me in Chilled whilst I sort out various things to try and make them all happen on the day :)

Not a prob Nadg. You need a cart with your knee or are you able to walk the course? Cause if your playing the way I am at the moment, there will be a lot of sideways movement!!!
Just PM your address when all of your details have been sorted out.

nadg63
27th May 2015, 07:31 PM
Not a prob Nadg. You need a cart with your knee or are you able to walk the course? Cause if your playing the way I am at the moment, there will be a lot of sideways movement!!!
Just PM your address when all of your details have been sorted out.

Will do :) Won't need a cart, I'll walk it.

Wenz
27th May 2015, 08:59 PM
Wicked!
Looking forward to this one and catching up with you guys.

Anyone played there before?

Chilled
27th May 2015, 09:09 PM
Yep, quite a few times.

Hatchman
27th May 2015, 09:23 PM
Wicked!

Not for about 12-15yrs

nadg63
27th May 2015, 10:17 PM
Wicked!

Nope!

thecollective
28th May 2015, 11:13 PM
not for 14 years! will be interesting, although I clearly remember the 1st being my favourite hole. Tanunda has 50% reciprocal there - don't know why but will take it :)

TC

Chilled
29th May 2015, 08:48 AM
not for 14 years! will be interesting, although I clearly remember the 1st being my favourite hole. Tanunda has 50% reciprocal there - don't know why but will take it :)I personally like the little par 3, downhill, through/over the trees to a big green.

Quite a few par 5's iirc, and reasonably longish course at over 6000.

Hard_Pan
29th May 2015, 09:37 AM
If you go too far right on the 1st you could end up on their mini driving range where you might have a bit of trouble identifying your ball if you don't play a new one or mark it clearly.

Chilled
29th May 2015, 10:04 AM
Been there done that! Too many balls out there to find my own.

wazamac
29th May 2015, 10:57 AM
Never played there but sounds like it could be a bit of fun.

Hatchman
29th May 2015, 07:14 PM
I personally like the little par 3, downhill, through/over the trees to a big green.

Quite a few par 5's iirc, and reasonably longish course at over 6000.

I think that's the 6th and yes it's a great par 3. Much better than the 220m 17th in amongst the massive river reds.
The par 5 5th the hole before the good par 3 is a great hole as well. Sharp dogleg left that invites a bite of the corner if your long enough and game. Massive thick boonge hard left all the way that not worth looking for golf balls in. Biting the corner off makes it reachable in 2. The green slopes away and off from right to left also.

Best holes for on the course for me would be 4,5,6,10.

wazamac
29th May 2015, 07:21 PM
Might be buying some more golf balls this week by the sound of it!

Chilled
29th May 2015, 08:04 PM
Sharp dogleg left that invites a bite of the corner if your long enough and game. Massive thick boonge hard left all the way that not worth looking for golf balls in. Biting the corner off makes it reachable in 2. The green slopes away and off from right to left also. Great hole that one. Been right a couple of times which isn't pretty but it's recoverable....left is just nasty, on your first but especially your second shot. Been close to getting on in two a couple of times but never quite been able to get there.

I also don't mind the other par 3 with the dam on the left and large tree almost in direct line to the pin.....challenging as the tree makes you really think....and I've hit it a few times also, in my previous days. Looking forward to playing the course again that's for sure : )

coalesce
31st May 2015, 11:48 PM
I'm going to have to pull out of this one. Got confused with dates with the weekend after.

Having said that, although OzGolf days are always a good laugh, I think I'm due for a break anyway. Could be a sign..

Hatchman
1st June 2015, 08:42 AM
I bags first group off as a three.
I want to see if I can get around quick enough to make it to Kapunda in time to get in the comp at home too (Medal Round).

coalesce
1st June 2015, 09:40 AM
The lengths some people will go to in order to get anchored in time for champs...

Hatchman
1st June 2015, 10:20 AM
The lengths some people will go to in order to get anchored in time for champs...

Is it that obvious :??
I thought I was being discrete about it :-s

thecollective
1st June 2015, 04:00 PM
I bags first group off as a three.
I want to see if I can get around quick enough to make it to Kapunda in time to get in the comp at home too (Medal Round).

If I can play casual I will join you as I play super fast when not keeping score.

TC

Wenz
1st June 2015, 05:53 PM
I'm only playing casual as well.
Not fussed what group I'm in.

nadg63
1st June 2015, 10:14 PM
My planned car collection is on Saturday is looking a bit dicey at this point in time, won't know for sure until later in the week.

If it is NOT happening then I will bail, off golf at the mo giving my knee an easier time but having a game up there fitted in nicely with other plans.

Will let you know when I know!?

nadg63
2nd June 2015, 10:17 PM
Looking even more unlikely!

Chilled
3rd June 2015, 10:10 AM
my planned car collection is on saturday is looking a bit dicey at this point in time, won't know for sure until later in the week.

if it is not happening then i will bail, off golf at the mo giving my knee an easier time but having a game up there fitted in nicely with other plans.

Will let you know when i know!?

looking even more unlikely!

:d

Wenz
3rd June 2015, 03:34 PM
And then there were 6

nadg63
3rd June 2015, 04:24 PM

:d

Now that you mention it .................... ;)

Chilled
3rd June 2015, 04:26 PM
And then there were 63 and 3, I like it :D

wazamac
3rd June 2015, 05:21 PM
Sounds like I will have to amuse myself for the drive up.

Hatchman
3rd June 2015, 06:03 PM
I still bags first group.

nadg63
3rd June 2015, 07:36 PM
May still come out for a social, haven't had a hit since early April. Will let you know WM

thecollective
4th June 2015, 09:39 AM
I still bags first group.

Me 2 - heading to Victor straight after with the family so it will be a gonzo (fast) round for me.

Are there any deep bunkers at Barossa? from memory No, planning to bag only 10 clubs.

TC

Wenz
4th June 2015, 11:31 AM
I've been told I have to leave early so I don't wake up the minion & missus.
Is anyone aware of the driving range and practice facilities there? How are they? Anyone care to join me lol?

Hatchman
4th June 2015, 04:59 PM
Is anyone aware of the driving range and practice facilities there? How are they? Anyone care to join me lol?

Practice, no way. I might waste a good one.

highballin
4th June 2015, 07:22 PM

Don't know about driving range but would assume there is a practice green.

Hatchman
4th June 2015, 08:17 PM
They have a practice fairway that run alongside hole #1

nadg63
5th June 2015, 06:40 PM
I'm in again :) Not been to this course before so that swayed my decision, (not sure if the knee will go the distance but only one way to find out!)

See you in the morning.

Wenz
5th June 2015, 07:11 PM
Nice one. See you there.
Not getting there early anymore.
Now the dilemma of whether to carry or buggy it? Is the course hilly?

Hatchman
5th June 2015, 07:37 PM
Course is not hilly.
After the last few week of what I've been playing on, every thing else is dead flat.

highballin
5th June 2015, 08:02 PM
After the last few week of what I've been playing on, every thing else is dead flat.

Suck it up old man!

Hard_Pan
5th June 2015, 09:13 PM
Looks like good weather for tomorrow - really wish I could be there.

Oh well, next month!

Hit a good one for me fellas!

At least I'll be hitting up on Monday at the Vines thanks to Waza..

Chilled
5th June 2015, 09:14 PM
15C and sunny tomorrow for Nuri......it should be a fresh morning but a nice day. See you guys in the morning : )

Hatchman
5th June 2015, 09:23 PM
Suck it up old man!

Thanks buddy :?.

Hatchman
7th June 2015, 01:49 AM
Great company, great weather, great course and to top it off I had a good score for a change.

Scores have already gone into Golflink. I did a bit of damage to the hcp too.
2nd best score on the day with a 69 and best score by an A grader. Not sure how Barossa's prize payout structure works. Will have to call up during the week to find out as there's a better than average chance I got the novelty prize for lowest putts with 25 too.

Couple of pics from the day.

Panorama after arriving.

Chilled flushed the G30 to sneak past the long drive ....................... ladies that is, sorry buddy

Nag63, Highballin, Wenz and Wazamac playing the last.

thecollective
8th June 2015, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the hit guys; apologies I could not hang around

Chilled
8th June 2015, 06:07 PM
Yep, very enjoyable day....apart from me spraying it everywhere but the fairway. I really actually should have aimed for trees, because I definitely wouldn't have hit them!

Great 4 over for Hatchy.....I've never seen him play so consistently straight....heh

Worst thing is I forgot to take my winning voucher from Kapunda Open.....which was the whole point in going to Barossa....damn! : ( Oh well maybe we can fit in a game up there before the end of the year, when Hatchy has to pick up his winnings ;)

nadg63
8th June 2015, 06:24 PM

Wenz, Chilled, HatchmanSS76, Wazamac, Highballin, (the 'porky' version, they say a camera never lies but this one did!)

Hatchman
9th June 2015, 05:52 PM
First decent round for the flame pants too.
The Ministers farewell comment in the morning was "your going to play crap again" wearing those.

highballin
9th June 2015, 09:32 PM

Wenz, Chilled, HatchmanSS76, Wazamac, Highballin, (the 'porky' version, they say a camera never lies but this one did!)

Checked the scales tonight just to make sure :roll:

highballin
9th June 2015, 09:34 PM
Yep, very enjoyable day....apart from me spraying it everywhere but the fairway. I really actually should have aimed for trees, because I definitely wouldn't have hit them!

Great 4 over for Hatchy.....I've nevker seen him play so consistently straight....heh

Worst thing is I forgot to take my winning voucher from Kapunda Open.....which was the whole point in going to Barossa....damn! : ( Oh well maybe we can fit in a game up there before the end of the year, when Hatchy has to pick up his winnings ;)

I will gladly play there again later in the year. Thought it was a very enjoyable course to play.

wazamac
14th June 2015, 10:18 PM
Has anyone else that played in the comp at Barossa not had there score go onto Golflink? Mine hasn't

highballin
14th June 2015, 10:34 PM
Has anyone else that played in the comp at Barossa not had there score go onto Golflink? Mine hasn't

Mine went in

Hatchman
14th June 2015, 11:02 PM
Mine went in that night.

wazamac
15th June 2015, 10:45 AM
Maybe I'm just lucky:roll:

Chilled
15th June 2015, 11:36 AM
Yeah mine in that night also (unfortunately...lol). Are you sure you got your GF number exactly correct on the scorecard?

Hatchman
15th June 2015, 04:32 PM
Comp results still haven't been posted on their website yet to see if Chilled's NTP held up.

nadg63
15th June 2015, 04:55 PM
Maybe I'm just lucky:roll:

Wasn't there a discrepancy with HB's scoring on your card!? Maybe a DSQ!

Chilled
15th June 2015, 04:56 PM
Comp results still haven't been posted on their website yet to see if Chilled's NTP held up.Or more like Hatchy's glorious win :p

Hatchman
15th June 2015, 05:13 PM

That should still show in Golflink.

Hatchman
15th June 2015, 05:17 PM
Or more like Hatchy's glorious win :p

Second best score on day by Golflink leaves best in A Grade. Only half a win.

Chilled
15th June 2015, 05:58 PM
Second best score on day by Golflink leaves best in A Grade. Only half a win.Ohhh, you've got mates have you? Or did you just check the newspaper?

Hatchman
15th June 2015, 06:00 PM
I've got Golflink Mates. You can see all spots in in comps you play in.

Chilled
15th June 2015, 06:02 PM
Yeah I've had it before, for three years. Only used it for the handicap predictor which they took away due to the slope changes, so ditched it.

Hatchman
15th June 2015, 06:11 PM
Only got it as it paid for itself with the Race to Bonville discount entrance fee.

highballin
15th June 2015, 07:36 PM

The scores were right the adding up was wrong. No DQ the committee's job to add up:roll:

Hatchman
15th June 2015, 11:32 PM
Just checked their site and the results page has changed from May 30 to June 13.
The game we played in has been completely missed.

Chilled
16th June 2015, 07:46 AM
What's going on? Maybe give them a call?