PDA

View Full Version : ProSpot chipping mat.

Onewood
3rd May 2004, 04:28 PM
ProSpot
The ultimate landing pad
ProSpot is the ultimate golf-chipping pad for improving your accuracy and distance control of your short game.
In a round of golf the average golfer (10-30 handicap) only hits 3-5 greens in regulation. With instant audible feedback from ProSpot, your short game will slash strokes from your scorecard and handicap.
A completely portable unit ProSpot allows the golfer to practice at any time or any place and is available for use in seconds.

ProSpot was developed with the assistance of professional golfers as a training aid in distance control around the greens, helping you land your ball in the right area on a more consistent basis and achieving more UP and DOWN’S per round
ProSpot gives you the confidence to land any chip, pitch or lob shot.
Practice from different distances with different clubs to broaden your range of short game shots.
ProSpot is an excellent practice tool for all ages. The golfer’s ability to use the pitch or chip shot determines the outcome of a low or high score for every hole in every round.
ProSpot’s audible alarm gives direct feedback that you have hit the desired distance.

Only practice will improve your game and lower your golf scores.
Crisp chip & pitch shots are just a PM away.

jaster
4th May 2004, 09:00 PM
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/leaht/prospot.jpg

AndyP
5th May 2004, 08:29 AM
Do I ask my question again? :roll: :(
I can't rely on memory to determine where the discussion ended. :oops:

Golfgirl
6th May 2004, 07:16 PM
to answer your question again.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why I like Prospot better than just a mat - it "beeps" at me when I hit it, which means I don't have to look up to see if I chipped properly, which means that I stay down in the shot, which means that I have stopped blading my chips.... :D

Simple really, and it worked a treat for my chipping. Unfortunately, then I moved clubs...... now if only I could work out how to chip onto extremely sloping, firm, bent grass greens through sticky rye grass collars, from off of kikuyu fairways..... :?

Onewood
13th May 2004, 11:06 PM
Do I ask my question again? :roll: :(
I can't rely on memory to determine where the discussion ended. :oops:

AndyP, as I was saying :D

Its a golf gimick, but it does put you under pressure to hit the mat so the sound comes out :wink:

Its benefit over a nett to chip into, you can hit lower shots, for chip and run shots 8)

This week's chipping tip

keep your Club Head Speed, even on the short chips :smt100

AndyP
14th May 2004, 12:07 AM
I can feel a Golf Tips thread comin' on.

Onewood
14th May 2004, 12:09 AM
I can feel a Golf Tips thread comin' on.

Stay tuned

I'm sure Jaster has some good tips

jaster
15th May 2004, 07:31 PM
Missed this one...sorry Kev ;)......TIPs...hmmmm

10 Musts

it’s not how many, but how—but if, and only if, you adopt these 10 necessities to your setup and swing

By Marshall Smith With David DeNunzio

Watching and teaching the game of golf for the better part of 65 years, I’ve come to realize one universal fact: everyone swings the club a different way. Some golf swings produce better results than others, but that doesn’t change the fact that the only thing your swing must do is get the ball into the hole in as few strokes as possible. This isn’t to be construed as a license to move the club without thought or reason, however. Every golfer’s swing needs to blend individual style with a number of swing essentials. In my opinion, these necessities number 10. If you can adapt these 10 “musts” to your natural motion, you’ll be primed for a season of low scores.

1 USE YOUR FINGERS
Your 10 fingers are the fastest parts of your body, capable of moving more than 100 mph. As such, it’s important to take full advantage of their speed. Grip the club in your fingers, not in your palms, and use them to lead your swing. From takeaway to finish, think fingers and hands first; shoulders, arms and legs second. It’s important not to categorize the roles of your arms, shoulders, hips and legs as passive—they’re all critical components to the overall swing motion. It’s simply a matter of them playing a secondary role to your hands—the true power generators.

2 PRE-ROUTINE
Not only is a preshot routine important, but so is a pre-round routine. Whether you’re rushing from your office to make a weekday afternoon tee time or waiting on your porch for your buddy to pick you up on Saturday morning, take time to think about your forthcoming round and the things you want to accomplish. Run over some key swing thoughts, or how you’ll attack the first hole. Often, thinking strategically about your first swing of the day will keep a poor start at bay. For every swing, pick a target, and make it precise. Picture in your mind’s eye the swing you want to create and how you’ll create that swing while balanced. Then, pull the trigger.

jaster
15th May 2004, 07:31 PM
3 HAVE PRIDE
Regardless of the type of day you’re having on the course, make an effort to give your game—and yourself—the respect it deserves. Often, a round in the 90s will feel more like a round in the 70s if you approach your game with an attitude that emphasizes conduct, not score.

4 STAY IN BALANCE
It’s not very often you fall down while standing on a street corner, but people often do that very thing while swinging the club. That’s because they’re not balanced. Adopt a stance that mimics the one you use in everyday life; not too narrow (which facilitates too much turn and the chance to reverse pivot) or too wide (which limits your ability to coil). Make it natural.

5 DROP THE CLUB
It’s the most difficult thing to master in golf, but, unfortunately, dropping the club to start the downswing is an absolute necessity to move the club with power and on the desired inside-out path. What’s more damaging than not dropping the hands and club is what you likely do instead: start the club back down with a lunge forward or an early release of the hands. From the top, allow your hands to simply fall toward the ground. Combine that with a gradual turn toward the target and you’ll naturally shift your weight to your left side and guard against the dreaded pull and pull-slice.

6 “SPIN THE TOP”
One of my favorite images to describe the golf swing is a top. Remember those? In order to get the top to spin as fast as possible, you had to wrap the string around the top as tightly as you could. Same goes in the golf swing, where your club is the top and your body is the string and your main goal is to coil your body as much as your flexibility allows. The best way to do this is to dominate your backswing with a strong turn of the shoulders while minimizing your hip turn. The key: set your left knee as an anchor and your right knee as a hub around which everything turns. Now, you’re coiled.

jaster
15th May 2004, 07:32 PM
7 SET UP FOR SUCCESS
All good swings start with a good setup. The keys to a solid address include tilting the spine slightly away from the target so your left shoulder sits higher than your right, about as much as your right hand sits below your left on the grip. Angling the spine better allows you to swing the club from inside-out. Your head tilt should mimic your spine tilt, as well.

A mistake many golfers make is setting up with open shoulders, an error fueled by the desire to hit hard with the right side. Don’t fall into that trap. Instead, play the ball a bit back in your stance, position your head slightly behind the ball, and keep that right elbow loose and on your right hip. These setup keys will help you keep your shoulders from opening, a malady that more often than not will create a slice swing.

I recommend a shoulder-width stance with the feet flared. If you don’t flare your feet, you’ll make it more difficult to execute a big turn of the shoulders on the backswing. Furthermore, with a flared front foot, you’ll encourage a more efficient transfer of weight to your front side on the downswing. As far as ball position is concerned, play the ball off the logo of your shirt. Playing the ball too far forward may encourage pulls and pull-slices.

8 FINISH LOW
In golf, you shake hands like a gentleman; you never high-five. In other words, through impact, keep your hands low to the ground rather than lifting them high into the air. If you try to finish low, you’ll encourage a better forward weight shift and crisper ballstriking.

9 HEAD BACK
Although it’s likely that you’ve never placed yours on a scale, the average human head weighs about 14 pounds, which is a significant amount of weight. If that weight moves too far forward on the downswing, it will throw your entire motion out of balance. As you swing back to the ball, make a conscious effort to keep your head back toward your right foot. This encourages a more powerful release. As you keep your head back, don’t forget to turn. Allow that right shoulder to continue its rotation toward the target. When you feel your shoulder approach your chin, allow your head to turn with it.

10 GET THE CLUB UP
The golf swing has two parts: the “around” and the “up-and-down.” Most recreational players can execute both parts, but rarely can they blend the two together. Think turn first. With your hands leading the way, simply turn the shoulders to get the club to the top. As you do so, imagine placing your right thumb in your ear. This thought establishes the “up” part of your backswing. On the way to your finish, do the same thing: keep your turn going and strive to again place your right thumb in your ear. Combine these moves with a shallow arc through impact and you’ll find extra power and accuracy.

Marshall Smith teaches out of Peoria Ridge GC and Shangri-La Resort in Oklahoma. Past students include Craig Stadler and Chi Chi Rodriguez. Smith currently instructs Buy.com up-and-comer Todd Fischer

AndyP
16th May 2004, 07:19 PM
More reading :roll: :wink: