PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Modems

AndyP
2nd May 2015, 02:54 PM
My IiNet BoBLite modem died last night in the storm, and is not covered by warranty as a result.

I don't want to research all of the different modems out there and pricing, as it would take up too much time. iiNet offer a basic Netcomm for $110, which seems a bit rich. Should I just grab something for 30 or 40
bucks off eBay or gumtree? They even have second hand Bob Lites on there.

Any recommendations?

Ned
2nd May 2015, 04:10 PM
Hux replaced his last year AP, and being the gadget man he researched all and sundry, maybe ping him a PM.

markTHEblake
2nd May 2015, 04:40 PM
Get a TP-Link
will be able to get from the local Umart for $20-30

any modem that costs $100+ is 70 overpriced.

but wait, dont you really want a modem/router/wifi? increase your spedning to $50 and get a TP-Link

AndyP
3rd May 2015, 10:59 AM
Hux replaced his last year AP, and being the gadget man he researched all and sundry, maybe ping him a PM.
Thanks Ned.

Get a TP-Link
will be able to get from the local Umart for $20-30

any modem that costs $100+ is 70 overpriced.

but wait, dont you really want a modem/router/wifi? increase your spedning to $50 and get a TP-Link
Yes, the combined device commonly referred to as a modem. Why do you recommend a TP-Link?

virge666
3rd May 2015, 11:08 AM
Yes, the combined device commonly referred to as a modem. Why do you recommend a TP-Link?

cause they are the cheapest.

N300 from Netgear is also a good bit of kit.
Draytek if you want good wireless range.

markTHEblake
3rd May 2015, 11:42 AM
Thanks Ned. Yes, the combined device commonly referred to as a modem. Why do you recommend a TP-Link? They are a big favourite with small time computer businesses. For one of their router models in particular, maybe the w1043nd it has more ram and rom than any other router on the market making it one of the best for reflashing with custom Roms. Simply they are as good as anything and at half the price. Warranty and customer service provided by themselves. My cousin uses these routers in his webcam network, about 20 Australia wide Can't think of anything else

Sasquatch
3rd May 2015, 12:52 PM
I bought a TP-Link with VOIP from Umart. It replaced a Netcomm one that started to freeze up & need restarting a bit too often & has better wi-fi range.

mrbluu
23rd June 2015, 07:06 PM
My IiNet BoBLite modem died last night in the storm, and is not covered by warranty as a result.

I don't want to research all of the different modems out there and pricing, as it would take up too much time. iiNet offer a basic Netcomm for $110, which seems a bit rich. Should I just grab something for 30 or 40
bucks off eBay or gumtree? They even have second hand Bob Lites on there.

Any recommendations?

Andy what did you end up going with and how much did it cost.....happy??

AndyP
23rd June 2015, 07:17 PM
I took the lazy option for minimum setup time and got the same iiNet modem model that I had before, used from eBay.

mrbluu
23rd June 2015, 07:23 PM
Ok.

markTHEblake
23rd June 2015, 08:19 PM
and he is an Engineer.

AndyP
23rd June 2015, 08:45 PM
And works in communications.