PDA

View Full Version : Question: Scotty Cameron Putters

Kee
21st July 2004, 07:40 AM
Hi all,

My apologies if this seems to be a silly question. Just a bit of background before the question on the putters.

Since talking up and subsequently falling in love with the game of golf about 10 months ago, I spend a lot more time reading and "chatting" on forums like these, as well as watching golf when its on TV (something I never did until now). I've since learnt so much about equipment from the wealth of knowledge in these forums.

Now my question. Why are Scotty Cameron putters so popular? While watching the British and US open, I notice that a number of top players use Cameron putters, which I guess has made it also very popular with general golfers. The shapes of the Cameron putters look very similar to other brands like Ping. Is there something he does different to other putter makers? Is it marketing?

amanda
21st July 2004, 07:46 AM
Hey Kee,

They have excellent weighting and the ball feels like it rolls so smoothly off the face. Plus they have groovy headcovers :lol:

As to why the tour players use them - they don't have to buy their clubs, so why not use one of the best putters in the world if it's free :D

Boonie
21st July 2004, 08:58 AM
Kee,

The main reason Scotty Camerons are so popular on tour is that each player has their putter custom built for them by Mr Scotty Cameron himself.

Everyone likes different shapes/looks/feels, however subtle, and Scotty can make whatever they want. Tour wedges are the same - players have their own special grinds, weight and bounce options personally made for them.

Of course the marketing side comes from getting all the use on tour, therefore people want to play what the pros are playing, so he can charge a high price for them retail.

There is a whole separate argument about the merits of the design (many say they are just copies of older ping models with better materials etc) that is pretty boring and too old to get into :wink:

McMw
21st July 2004, 09:00 AM
I bought this off 3balls 2 weeks ago... :wink:
http://www.3balls.com/images/dynamic/products/sku_photos/15327_large.jpg

took off the crappy winn grip that came with it, shortened it an inch, put on a funky-colored Royal Grip - and had a blast with it last night on the greens!!!
couple of mates tried it, and loved it too!!!
Deep down, I prob do want a Scotty, but realism kicks in sometimes, and tells me that it's not gonna sink more putts for me!!! :lol:

a lot of REDXs were used during th BOpen, so that's not a copy of the ping, but it is a copy of the Rossie!!! :lol:

Fishman Dan
21st July 2004, 09:22 AM
Kee - like Boonie said, SC takes a Tour Pro into his studio and analyses everything from stance, putting stroke, to how many sugars in his coffee. Therefore he creates a flat stick to match the player.

Why are they so popular among the HO's? No idea really, they do feel great (only used them in a store), but will it make me putt better than i can with my Odyssey White Hot #7??

Horses for courses. But for $300+ i'd want a written guarrantee that i will never 3-putt again.

terryand
21st July 2004, 09:44 AM
A mate of mine went to the Scotty studio earlier this year and said it was an awesome, eye opening experience.

Apparently the have cameras,in front, behind,both sides and above to get all the info they need.

Terry.

Fishman Dan
21st July 2004, 10:06 AM
A mate of mine went to the Scotty studio earlier this year and said it was an awesome, eye opening experience.

Apparently the have cameras,in front, behind,both sides and above to get all the info they need.

Terry.

And along the path where you putt the ball? To see what effect your putting stroke has for the first 3 feet (and beyond).

There was an article in AGD or something about a year ago. Freaky stuff..

Jarro
21st July 2004, 11:50 AM
Kee,

i too heard/read heaps about the Scotty Cameron putters. After hearing how good everybody thought they were, i decided to buy one to see if all the hoopla was on the mark.

well it is.....

.. i've never putted as good as am now and it's all due to the fact the the Scotty is so beautifully weighted and balanced. Plus the fact i got one in the 33" length so i can now stand with my eyes directly over the ball ... just seems to help get a better roll and also helps to line 'em up easier :D

they really are worth the money, and lets face it, you use the putter more than any other club in the bag :!: :wink:

andylo
21st July 2004, 12:14 PM
So put it this way, SC won't be too cool without the custom fitting by the Mr Cameron!! Although it still feel better than my Brosnan putter!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But if you are not gonna get him custom fit for you, why bother? :?

Jarro
21st July 2004, 12:17 PM
So put it this way, SC won't be too cool without the custom fitting by the Mr Cameron!! Although it still feel better than my Brosnan putter!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But if you are not gonna get him custom fit for you, why bother? :?

Andylo, next time we meet for a hit, i'll give you a putt with my putter :wink:

Kee
21st July 2004, 12:22 PM
Well, I've tried a couple of Scottys. I think they were the Newport 2 and the Newport Beach. They did feel good, but to me not so good to warrant a $400+ price tag. And they seem to be a bit of a collectable item as well with some people asking thousands for them.

I agree with you Jarro that the putter is the most used club in the bag, and am interested in getting a good putter. But for the mean time I think a Mezza Monza might be easier on the wallet.

andylo
21st July 2004, 12:44 PM
next time we meet for a hit, i'll give you a putt with my putter :wink:

You just have to wash your hands first and provide credit card details in case you break it. 8)

:lol:

Jarro
21st July 2004, 03:54 PM
next time we meet for a hit, i'll give you a putt with my putter :wink:

You just have to wash your hands first and provide credit card details in case you break it. 8)

I never made you do that did i :wink:

but then again, you got no credit on your card i'll bet :lol:

.. like me :oops:

goughy
21st July 2004, 05:44 PM
If you can't afford a scotty, just buy something like a ping anser. I mean, scotty had to copy his putters from somewhere, why not copy the best and the original :P :P :P

McMw
21st July 2004, 09:58 PM
I've just recently added the ping putter to the bag (after having a good run with the Srixon)...and in the 2 9 holers I've had, things are encouraging.

I did have two hiccups today (2 3jacks), but I also made a number of good putts, so win some, lose some...

I guess the key to finding a good ping putter is to find one that fits your eye...and to date, only the SS2.5 is the only appealing SC.

Then again, USD50 vs USD200 - money talks!!!

July WITB - check out the grip! (http://www.thegolfforum.com.au/album_pic.php?pic_id=67)