PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play golf in Sydney from 20/04/15 - to 22/04/15?

FuzzyJuzzy
22nd April 2015, 08:18 AM
Just wondering if anyone OzGolfers in Sydney are truly hardcore - so HARDCORE that they played golf Mon/Tue/Today? Not even I'm that stupid - although I was planning to play Tuesday until Sydney got smashed. Wonder what sort of damage there's been to courses in Sydney…must be trees down everywhere at the very least...

Dangals
22nd April 2015, 09:12 AM
you would have to be either insane or truly dedicated to play in the weather we have had out this way FJ - not sure what other areas of Sydney are like but it would not be pleasant

Captain Nemo
22nd April 2015, 09:14 AM
Most courses where shut mon/tues.
Go to golf nsw website, check results....

3oneday
22nd April 2015, 09:47 AM
I'd suggest I'll be spending the arvo in the pub on Satdy too.

KristianJ
22nd April 2015, 10:35 AM
Aqua.

Richmond put some pics up on their FB page yesterday. Not that I could tell, but the 10th may well now be a full water carry. :lol:

FuzzyJuzzy
22nd April 2015, 11:33 AM
Copping it in the southwest as well. But North side has really been in the firing line - heard someone on the news this morning saying a golf course in Manly is flooded. Guessing they were referring to Manly GC...

Dangals
22nd April 2015, 11:45 AM
Aqua.

Richmond put some pics up on their FB page yesterday. Not that I could tell, but the 10th may well now be a full water carry. :lol:

Just had a look at that and the par 3 you are referring to is the 8th. They have received some serious rain there based on the water everywhere...

KristianJ
22nd April 2015, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I knew those pics were of the 8th...:)

I probably should have said I couldn't tell because there wasn't a pic of the 10th. But it'd take an almighty downpour to get the dam on the 10th to overflow...

Peppas
22nd April 2015, 12:43 PM
Shell Cove under water. Need scuba gear for the weekend I think.

kiwitown
22nd April 2015, 01:43 PM
the one place I find I can nearly always get a hit is Highlands at Mittagong!

gumby
22nd April 2015, 02:54 PM
There will be always some guy playing no matter what

FuzzyJuzzy
22nd April 2015, 04:15 PM
Liverpool GC officially closed today, tomorrow, and possibly Friday. Looks to be clearing a bit now though...touch wood.

jimandr
22nd April 2015, 05:28 PM
I don't really expect an answer to this question before the weekend, partly because I doubt if many courses will be playable before Saturday, even if the rain and wind stops.

But, are there any reports of significant damage, particularly big trees falling down and the like.

What you are experiencing now is perfect time for some big trees to come out of the ground. I recall at Camden Valley once that they lost just about the biggest tree on the course during one of these East Coast Low rain events, and it took out a few others at the same time.

This turned out to be a good thing because it made the 5th hole better by giving big hitters a hero line to go for (and usually fail). Often, less trees can be a good thing.

BenM
22nd April 2015, 07:32 PM
We had similar weather to this last year. Course was only closed for a day or two but we lost some 120 trees, it was crazy.

Captain Nemo
22nd April 2015, 10:28 PM
From our clubhouse looking down the 18th...
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/22/1a06f274f2a0a16471bb094d94df082f.jpg
Our course is closed till Friday at the earliest.

FuzzyJuzzy
23rd April 2015, 10:29 AM
This pic was just posted in the Members section of the Liverpool GC site. That's the 9th green, which is quite elevated, so that water sitting around it is probably at least a metre deep. In the foreground is a massive water hazard that runs down the right side of the 17th fairway - it's massive normally, but now it's PROPER massive. You can't see it in this pic, but by the looks of it this pic suggests the 18th green (and probably back to the tee) is/was under water too. Guessing this pic was taken sometime yesterday…really not looking forward to a weekend without golf, so hopefully some act of God has this shit cleared by Saturday morning. Liverpool sits on a clay base though...

Captain Nemo
23rd April 2015, 10:38 AM
I seriously doubt, even if it deosnt rain till sunday our course will be shut....
Better grab a copy of Best Bets tomorrow lunchtime!
:)

backintheswing
23rd April 2015, 10:41 AM
Pretty sure that best bets comes out on a Thursday now [emoji3]

Captain Nemo
23rd April 2015, 10:44 AM
Pretty sure that best bets comes out on a Thursday now [emoji3]
Look's like im heading to the Newsagency at lunchtime... ;)

3oneday
23rd April 2015, 10:52 AM
I reckon I'll be playing Dunheved Saturday. Cumberland will be a slophole.

Just hope the boys soccer is cancelled ;)

Captain Nemo
23rd April 2015, 11:03 AM

Anzac day, surely they arnt playing, mine isnt...

Dangals
23rd April 2015, 11:14 AM
I reckon I'll be playing Dunheved Saturday.

was thinking the same actually - wesbite says to call tomorrow to see if they are going to re-open

FuzzyJuzzy
23rd April 2015, 11:28 AM

Let me know if you do mate and you're not already in a four-way. If they don't open Livo I'll be looking for somewhere else to play.
Off topic sort of, but I played Stonecutters once last year and we got smashed in a freak early arvo pissdown. That place drains so bloody well. You could actually see how all the water on the fairways was funneling itself down to the lowpoint where the drainage was. It was awesome.

PerryGroves
23rd April 2015, 11:43 AM
I don't really expect an answer to this question before the weekend, partly because I doubt if many courses will be playable before Saturday, even if the rain and wind stops.

But, are there any reports of significant damage, particularly big trees falling down and the like.

What you are experiencing now is perfect time for some big trees to come out of the ground. I recall at Camden Valley once that they lost just about the biggest tree on the course during one of these East Coast Low rain events, and it took out a few others at the same time.

This turned out to be a good thing because it made the 5th hole better by giving big hitters a hero line to go for (and usually fail). Often, less trees can be a good thing.

We lost this one and Manly Lagoon has overflowed

WBennett
23rd April 2015, 04:04 PM
Come down to Canberra. Everything is open. Its just going to be a chilly weekend......

Captain Nemo
23rd April 2015, 04:08 PM
Come down to Canberra. Everything is open. Its just going to be a chilly weekend......

May, ive got wedding on ill find out date soon...

FuzzyJuzzy
23rd April 2015, 04:09 PM

Meet you halfway-ish at Mt Broughton??:). What do you locals rate as the best course in Canberra? Federal looks pretty awesome. Or Royal?

KristianJ
23rd April 2015, 04:53 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/22/626721d589a79fb284c9efd8ecab9a8a.jpg

This is from in front of the 9th green at Richmond looking back down the fairway. Still plenty of water across the 3rd fairway too, I'd assume.

Course closed until Monday.

FuzzyJuzzy
23rd April 2015, 06:02 PM
Penrith will be open on Saturday, barring another deluge. So they say on their Facebook page...

3oneday
23rd April 2015, 06:14 PM
Anzac day, surely they arnt playing, mine isnt...playing at 2.30. Already one game washed out, two would become hard but 12 inches or more of rain is a lot.

Dunheved drains well too, just a matter of what the creek is doing.

WBennett
23rd April 2015, 06:23 PM
Meet you halfway-ish at Mt Broughton??:). What do you locals rate as the best course in Canberra? Federal looks pretty awesome. Or Royal? Royal will be #1 when redevelopment is finished. Federal is #2.Southern Highlands copped the rain this week and will be bogs

gumby
23rd April 2015, 07:28 PM

Lynwood

Captain Nemo
23rd April 2015, 08:06 PM
Lynwood Lakes!

FuzzyJuzzy
24th April 2015, 02:27 PM
Liverpool GC officially back in play as of tomorrow:). I'd say bunkers will be out of play, and it'll be preferred lies through the green and lift/clean/place. Otherwise it'd be mudball central. If anyone is looking for a game tomorrow I'm sure it won't be anything close to a full field. Looks like one of the blokes in my group is pulling out - 0637 if anyone is as desperate for a game as me...:).