PDA

View Full Version : I hit my mid to long irons better than short irons, why?

adamsgolfer
10th April 2015, 12:50 PM
By better I mean that they go the distance and trajectory that I expect... with short irons say 9 to PW always higher and shorter than I expect. given my 8, 7, 6 etc iron distances.

Anyone else like this?

Dangals
10th April 2015, 01:13 PM
when did you last have you loft/lie checked? It could be your shorter clubs are weaker than they need to be.

It could also be caused by your swing and how you deliver the club to the ball.

adamsgolfer
10th April 2015, 01:28 PM
Actually I just had lofts on 9 & PW checked today and they were spot on, my swing is definitely the issue.

Peppas
10th April 2015, 01:32 PM
Get new clubs mate.

It's never the swing.

Dangals
10th April 2015, 01:34 PM
Get new clubs mate.

It's never the swing.

yep sorry that is what I meant :wink: the True Ozgolf way!

adamsgolfer
10th April 2015, 01:54 PM
Get new clubs mate.

It's never the swing.

I've been down that path far too many times. My last club purchase was Dec 2014 so I'm going good.

benno_r
10th April 2015, 01:58 PM
My last club purchase was Dec 2014 so I'm going good.

That's an absolute disgrace. Ozgolf membership mandates at least 12 new club purchases in that period (at a minimum of 3 a month).

Hitting short irons high and short - maybe a flip sliding it right underneath?

adamsgolfer
10th April 2015, 02:00 PM
That's an absolute disgrace. Ozgolf membership mandates at least 12 new club purchases in that period (at a minimum of 3 a month).

Hitting short irons high and short - maybe a flip sliding it right underneath?

I ho'd enough between 2006 and 2014 to be in the hall of fame, believe me.

Probably is a flip but why does it show more with shorter irons than longer ones?

Peppas
10th April 2015, 02:02 PM
I've been down that path far too many times. My last club purchase was Dec 2014 so I'm going good.

Are you really going good?

Read your first post.

Are you still going good? Or are you just going OK?

New clubs buddy.

adamsgolfer
10th April 2015, 02:09 PM
Are you really going good?

Read your first post.

Are you still going good? Or are you just going OK?

New clubs buddy.

Peppas I have more money in my pocket and the missus is happy so yeah... I'm going good. Honestly I pretty much score the same regardless of what clubs or shafts I use. It's time to sort the swing out.

Ferrins
10th April 2015, 03:43 PM
You need to play a Srixon ball.

Ferrins
10th April 2015, 03:47 PM
You are possibly relaxing and swinging with better rythym with the longer irons and are tensing up on the scoring irons. I have a similar problem and for me it's because of my handicap slipping and thinking I should be better.

Scifisicko
10th April 2015, 03:53 PM
flipping? (but try srixons and new clubs first)

Dotty
10th April 2015, 05:31 PM
You need Cobra irons - 44* PW and 40* 9i.

Charger
10th April 2015, 07:03 PM
Maybe going to slow at it on the shorter irons?

markTHEblake
10th April 2015, 08:07 PM
take the clubs back to the guy that custom fit and built them for you and tell them that some of the clubs are wrong and to fix them. Thats absolutely ridiculous to be hittng the mid irons better than the short ones.

Scifisicko
11th April 2015, 12:13 PM
take the clubs back to the guy that custom fit and built them for you and tell them that some of the clubs are wrong and to fix them. Thats absolutely ridiculous to be hittng the mid irons better than the short ones. Not if you are flipping. Flippers with good timing can hit a reasonable 7 iron but can't hit a lob wedge.

talbo
11th April 2015, 12:21 PM
Could be just hanging back on your right side (for right hander). Check ball position too

razaar
11th April 2015, 12:45 PM
The obvious reason is u are trying to power the lofted irons with the wrong technique and the wrong swing concept. Too long a backswing with any club will pull u off the ball and your swing hub (sternum). With the lofted clubs the backswing should go to where the left arm is parallel with the ground for most of us.

wizard_of_oz
11th April 2015, 09:08 PM
Perhaps your set up needs to be tweaked. How does your set up for the short irons differ from the middle irons?

dazza99
15th April 2015, 11:47 AM
Clubs or ball.

We all have a swing like Rory/Jordan. All. OF. US.

aym
16th April 2015, 08:23 AM
If you hit your short irons really high and short it's probably cause you scoop the ball in your swing.

My friend has the same issue, he bombs his woods and long irons but his at least a club shorter in his short irons.

Stuartd147
16th April 2015, 03:31 PM
I have the opposite issue, I compress the ball really well with short irons and are strong part of my game....but with longer irons and driver I have -ve AoA and cant get driver sweeping or positive enough.

I would suggest putting the ball a bit back further in your stance and trying to compress the ball better with shorter irons to get the feel of hitting "down" to get the ball "up"...my 2c