PDA

View Full Version : Car transport - Maryborough / Hervey Bay to Darwin

benno_r
9th April 2015, 11:05 AM
Looking to get my car up to Darwin from home (about 18months more work here). Done all the online quotes through most of the companies, looking around $1600.

Does this lovely community happen to have contacts in the car transport industry so i might be able to knock this price down a little?

Beer / golf equipment can be supplied to lubricate any substantial savings... :D

Cheers,
Ben

live4golf
9th April 2015, 11:09 AM
Son is truckie and has a bunch of contacts, lives on Sunshine Coast too...have pinged him, will let you know.

benno_r
9th April 2015, 11:17 AM
Son is truckie and has a bunch of contacts, lives on Sunshine Coast too...have pinged him, will let you know.
Thanks PJ, most appreciated.

PeteyD
9th April 2015, 12:53 PM
**** I'd almost drive it up there for half that ;)

benno_r
9th April 2015, 01:03 PM
**** I'd almost drive it up there for half that ;)

Even thought of this option of paying someone to drive it up - 3400km of fuel, plus accommodation costs, plus an airfare back. Didn't work out too favourably.

PeteyD
9th April 2015, 01:07 PM
Nah guess not.

markTHEblake
9th April 2015, 08:38 PM
You might get the car up there cheaper in November when every other bastard is escaping. This time of the year they are all heading back, thats why I think your price is high. I do recall often seeing adverts in the local rag up there for very cheap transport out of the city, (there is a word for that, they gotta drive back, even if empty)

I used Simons transport to get a car from Brisbane to Darwin for between $300-400, but it was 1992, and was friends with the manager, and he is retired now.
But by all means give them a hoy! but its a better lead than anyone else has given you!

backintheswing
9th April 2015, 08:41 PM
Benno, I will make a call tomorrow to my freight guy in Newcastle. He moves stuff all over Australia, and I know he does Darwin/NT as he just took 5 semi loads of stuff for me to Ranger mine. I will be North of Cloncurry tomorrow and phone coverage is sketchy, but I will let you know what he says.

backintheswing
9th April 2015, 08:42 PM
I was north of Camooweal today and I think the sign said 1600 to Darwin, so it's a bloody long way from anywhere.

benno_r
9th April 2015, 08:53 PM
You might get the car up there cheaper in November when every other bastard is escaping. This time of the year they are all heading back, thats why I think your price is high. I do recall often seeing adverts in the local rag up there for very cheap transport out of the city, (there is a word for that, they gotta drive back, even if empty)

I used Simons transport to get a car from Brisbane to Darwin for between $300-400, but it was 1992, and was friends with the manager, and he is retired now.
But by all means give them a hoy! but its a better lead than anyone else has given you!

Benno, I will make a call tomorrow to my freight guy in Newcastle. He moves stuff all over Australia, and I know he does Darwin/NT as he just took 5 semi loads of stuff for me to Ranger mine. I will be North of Cloncurry tomorrow and phone coverage is sketchy, but I will let you know what he says.
Thanks lads, some good leads there. Will check it out tomorrow.