PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong shopping?

keymaster
6th April 2015, 10:09 PM
Hi guys

Heading to Hong Kong in a few weeks. I know equipment is outta the question, but does anyone have any experience with buying other stuff in HK? Clothing, accessories, other?

Real or fake, just interested to know what's out there.

Thanks!

freddy a
7th April 2015, 02:45 AM
Kowloon is a great place to shop and it's not too far from the international airport

PerryGroves
7th April 2015, 10:13 AM
HK Island is pretty expensive, catering to high end punters in the big malls. One of the bigger ones is World Square above the train station in Causeway Bay, easy to get to. If you leave the wife in World Square, there is a little golf shop in Russell Street (opposite) where you can potter about for 30 mins.

As Freddy says head over to Kowloon, specifically Mongkok/TST if you want cheap gear. Dont worry about finding places to buy cheap stuff, as you get off the Star ferry, they will find you.

While you are in TST, have lunch/dinner here http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g294217-d943734-Reviews-Spring_Deer-Hong_Kong.html if you like duck.

SirTop
7th April 2015, 11:07 AM
Take a train to Shenzen, that's where the locals and ex pats go to shop and where the deals are

benno_r
7th April 2015, 11:24 AM
Shenzen has a lot of gear, despite what they tell you, none of it is real.

markTHEblake
7th April 2015, 12:44 PM
Take a train to Shenzen, that's where the locals and ex pats go to shop and where the deals are So why is the Shenzhen to HK train in Saturday's full of Chinese going to hK for a shopping day? All the locals were telling me not to go to HongKong on Saturday for that reason. On the trip back I caught the last train and lined up for over 2 hours for a taxi after exiting customs

wazandnic
7th April 2015, 02:18 PM
Its a prestige culture thing. If say you buy a jacket and it costs $200 and I buy the same one on sale for $100, to us I am the winner as I got the bargain, but I was told by a local that in their culture you would be the winner because it shows you are prepared to pay more for the item. Just what I was told but having tripped there a lot over the past 8 years or so it makes total sense.

You may find the odd bargain but prices are not that much better if at all than what you can find online. And as mentioned above despite what they tell you, you will just never really know if it is genuine. If its a bargain then odds are it isn't!

Shenzhen definitely were you will find better prices, but more fakes IMO.

And yeah as mentioned Kowloon / TST areas best chance for shopping. There is a street in TST that has about half a dozen golf shops. Can't remember the name of the street but wasn't too hard to find.

keymaster
7th April 2015, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the advice so far guys. I'm pretty familiar with HK, go there every couple of years. Kowloon/TST is pretty general. Was hoping for some specific shops or areas.

Going to give Shenzhen a miss. Been there a few times, and even know I'm Asian, I don't feel safe there unless I'm with a local.....

PerryGroves
7th April 2015, 03:29 PM
Why didn't you say you already knew HK well, the OP read like you were going for the first time.

sheezymaneezy
7th April 2015, 06:26 PM
I'm not a local, but I live there most of the year for work, happy to help you out

markTHEblake
7th April 2015, 07:00 PM
Going to give Shenzhen a miss. Been there a few times, and even know I'm Asian, I don't feel safe there unless I'm with a local.....
i wandered around Shenzhen for over a week looking for places not to feel safe in and couldnt find any. But i found a million places selling capacitors.

Icestorm959
8th April 2015, 02:42 PM
i wandered around Shenzhen for over a week looking for places not to feel safe in and couldnt find any. But i found a million places selling capacitors. Wrong city. Go to neighbouring Dong Guan for adventure (And Mission Hills)

Scifisicko
8th April 2015, 03:35 PM
Dong Guan has been cleaned up big time.