PDA

View Full Version : Allenby stings idiotic spectator

Jarro
25th March 2006, 05:05 PM
from the Foxsports website :
ROBERT Allenby is a fiery bloke, as an idiot spectator found out during the second round at the Players Championship today.

The unidentified yobbo yelled out while Allenby was in the middle of his backswing for his tee shot to the island green par-three 17th at the Sawgrass TPC.
Allenby didn't hear exactly what the spectator said but, never one to back down from a confrontation, pointed his club at the offender and said: "Come and hit it yourself then.
"It's the most intimidating shot in golf and you get some idiot who's has too much to drink," he added later, after ending the day four shots from the lead.
"There were a lot of things I'd like to go do to him. The hardest thing on that hole is stopping, waiting and then trying to refocus again, because that's more time to think and the more you think on that hole, the more you come undone."
The pressure was certainly on Allenby when he finally hit, but he found the green and escaped with a par, which is probably just as well for the guy who distracted him.
"It's amazing Coors Light can do that to people," Allenby said. "Imagine if he drank VB or Crown Lager. He'd be rolling down the hill and end up in the water."
That wasn't the day's only drama, as Rory Sabbatini made public his frustration at fellow competitor Nick Faldo's slow play.
South African Sabbatini's wife followed her husband wearing a tee shirt with "Keep Up!" plastered across the front.

Faldo got the message, but perhaps the wrong one.
"It's embarrassing people bring their sexual problems to the golf course," he said.

shazza_rs
25th March 2006, 05:16 PM
i would have done more than just tell the guy to hit the shot.
;)

Jono
25th March 2006, 05:45 PM
Faldo got the message, but perhaps the wrong one.
"It's embarrassing people bring their sexual problems to the golf course," he said.

Never knew Faldo had a sense of humour ... :lol:

Jarro
25th March 2006, 05:45 PM
i think Allenby was probably thinking the same thing Shazza ;)

wouldn't it be an interesting job being Roberts caddy :shock:

AndyP
25th March 2006, 06:52 PM
Way to go Robbie.

Fiery? What are they talking about? Sounds like he showed constraint.

Courty
26th March 2006, 12:52 AM
I'm with you Andy. I doubt I could have held back if I was in his position, especially on that hole. Sledging is one thing, but heckling from the gallery is just so... un-etiquette-like.

Bruce
26th March 2006, 10:24 AM
2 good gags from golfers there. Allenby's dig at Coor's Light as well as Faldo's deflection were both excellent.

Working beautifully boys.

Moe Norman
26th March 2006, 11:16 AM
if he wasn't suffering <insert mystery ailment here> he probably would have gone and sconned the guy.