PDA

View Full Version : A different range session for me

oz
24th March 2006, 03:12 PM
Had the afternoon off today, so I went to the range for some practice... that is something I do too infrequently.

Anyway, I was striking the ball OK, and with the irons especially, getting a heavy draw on the ball. I often play about 5 -8 yards of draw with clubs from 9 iron to 4 iron (progressively increasing with longer irons to 8 yds or so). This is fine for a lot of my golf, but I really would rather straigten that out a bit, and be able to land it a bit softer.

So I started messing with my clubface at address and working on setting it a touch open (at least to my eye .... I suspect it was actually squaring it up), and got some beautiful results with the irons. Lovely straight, high trajectory, with nice soft landings. Distance maybe down by 2 or 3 yards, but nothing to worry about.

The overwhelming feeling was one of better control. With this flight, I felt my worst result was not going to be that far off target. Not so with the draw / hook ballflight. No news there, I know, but it was a very different feeling and flight for my iron shots, and I liked it. Needs more work, but it could be worth it.

FWIW - Less of an impact on the longer clubs, although hitting a nice high cut with the hybrid 4 iron was kinda fun, and would certainly come in handy on some golf courses. Very little change with the driver. A touch higher ballflight, though, and less of the quick hooks.

Anyway, that was my afternoon off..... Munchkin gets home from school in 10 minutes, so I think I'll go meet her from the school bus.

Cheers

Oz

Jarro
24th March 2006, 06:08 PM
sounds like you had a very productive day at the range Oz ..... congrats 8)

last time i had a day on the range like that, i went out the very nexr day and played like crap :(

oz
24th March 2006, 06:18 PM
last time i had a day on the range like that, i went out the very nexr day and played like crap :(

I don't hold great expectations jarro.... usually happens to me too...... :(

Although, I am driving out to Myrtleford for a game tomorrow. Should be a nice change-up to my home track, even if these little changes don't quite get in sync yet...

Jarro
24th March 2006, 06:23 PM
just remember what you did on the range, and visualise those distance markers down the middle as though you are still at the range ;)

GOOD LUCK :p

AndyP
24th March 2006, 10:20 PM
Don't say that.
I finished last weekend's range session feeling as if I had been productive with my game.
Fortunately I don't have any great expectations tomorrow, and will take it as it comes. But I'd like to see some consistent ball striking.

oz
25th March 2006, 06:52 PM
Well, on course today it was promising, but not great. I stll hit a few with the heavy draw, but they were starting on a straighter line, meaning missed greens. But the ball was coming down softer for the most part, so that's a positive. Work in progress... :)