PDA

View Full Version : Sites for learning about soccer?

goughy
22nd March 2015, 02:02 PM
So Kyan is playing soccer now, and would be good for us to learn more about it. He's never watched it before, and when I've tried to in the past it bored me to tears!

It would be good for him to learn more about the rules, and what happens when the ball goes out of the field from different spots etc, and what happens! He's also one of the keepers, so need to learn how to manage certain things? Like on the weekend he had the ball and his coach told him to put it down and kick, but he didn't know that putting it down meant the ball was in play. An opposing player ran over and kicked a goal on him.

He could also learn some more about ball skills. Stuff we could practice at home together. Maybe there's some good YouTube channels etc worth a gander etc. Thought some of you guys might have some suggestions?

Captain Nemo
22nd March 2015, 03:45 PM
Soccer Australia has a proper section on their website for coaching.
If you can't find it let me know I'll chase down the link.
My young fella is in a development squad where he has pro coaching twice a week and the sat coach is the same guy so very professional.
They run/base their training via the FFA junior program.
Good thing for me as I don't have to be involved at all.

Captain Nemo
22nd March 2015, 04:25 PM
http://coachestrainingroom.com/four-week-session-plan/

backintheswing
22nd March 2015, 04:29 PM
So Kyan is playing soccer now, and would be good for us to learn more about it. He's never watched it before, and when I've tried to in the past it bored me to tears!

It would be good for him to learn more about the rules, and what happens when the ball goes out of the field from different spots etc, and what happens! He's also one of the keepers, so need to learn how to manage certain things? Like on the weekend he had the ball and his coach told him to put it down and kick, but he didn't know that putting it down meant the ball was in play. An opposing player ran over and kicked a goal on him.

He could also learn some more about ball skills. Stuff we could practice at home together. Maybe there's some good YouTube channels etc worth a gander etc. Thought some of you guys might have some suggestions?

Watch some games on TV goughy. Ask the coach to explain some of the basic rules to your son at the training sessions.

goughy
22nd March 2015, 05:28 PM
But it's just so boring bits :(. The coach is young and it's her first time, so she's learning a bit too. During the game the two coaches are on the field reffing and also managing and explaining things to their teams. I liked it. I think it's important he makes Tuesdays training session because I think she'll have a lot to go through, but Rob has surgery Tuesday arvo so I'll be winging it a bit too get him there.

Thanks Nemo, I'll have a look at that stuff.
I've also found one YouTube site with some really basic ball control drills that he and I can do together.