PDA

View Full Version : Can Els Recover???

McMw
19th July 2004, 11:33 PM
Much has been said abt how Els couldn't get over Tiger (I guess coming to 2nd to him 3 times in 2000 would have been sick)...and how he's had to do plenty of work with the quack to get over Tiger...

So...now that he knows he can beat Tiger (btw, who can't???), he's still getting beaten, despite playing some seriously decent golf!!!

Losing to Lefty, he couldn't really do much abt it...it was Lefty's time...
Choking in the last round at the US Open...what the hell happened???
Losing to a "relative-no-body" in the B Open, man, that's gotta screw him right up...

Can he recover??? :?

goughy
20th July 2004, 07:10 AM
It looked like he was gonna take him a while to recover after the masters loss, but he seems to have done ok. He seemed more demoralised after the masters than this one.

And don't forget, just because todd's a no-body on the us tour dosen't mean he's a no-body everywhere in the world (like ben curtis). He's been winning professional golf tournaments for years.

Jarro
20th July 2004, 07:30 AM
I don't think Erniew will be that upset about not winning the Open. He knows his game is prety much at it's peak right now.... he'll be winning plenty more majors before his time is up 8)

this "realative-no-body" also lead into the final round and held of challenges by some of the worlds best ... not a bad acomplishment...so i think it was just a case of Hamiltons "time" to win a big one.

..there was nothing anyone could have done.

AndyP
20th July 2004, 08:34 AM
He'll be fine. As long as you are there-abouts, you are always a chance of taking a major. You just can't stop a freaky performance from another player.

markTHEblake
20th July 2004, 08:59 AM
If he was going to suffer mentally then it would have already happened before this.

Remember Jack had more 2nds in Majors than wins. Didnt do him any harm.

AndyP
20th July 2004, 09:17 AM
Remember Jack had more 2nds in Majors than wins. Didnt do him any harm.
At look at Greg Norman. No, wait, that's a bad example. :roll:

McMw
20th July 2004, 09:24 AM
we can all sit back now and say todd is not a nobody, but at the start of the week, he WAS a nobody!!! (and I mean that in the nicest way possible!)

hackin jim
20th July 2004, 11:54 AM
I don't know if the loss will hurt Ernie in the long run but I reckon that "quack" he sees will have the leather of his best couch getting a work out this week. :lol:

Ernie threw everything at Hammo in the playoff but it wasn't enough to beat him. He found the fairway with >300 yd bombs on 1 and 2 when Hammo was taking iron but still couldn't make birdie. He couldn't find the green on 17 when Hammo did. Then he still gets a chance with practically the same putt on 18 as he had in regulation but again misses on the low side.

I'm sure there will be more majors for the Big Easy but losing this one could hurt a bit ](*,)

goughy
20th July 2004, 06:15 PM
we can all sit back now and say todd is not a nobody, but at the start of the week, he WAS a nobody!!! (and I mean that in the nicest way possible!)

Sorry mau, but I still disagree with you on this one (I think we've disagreed on this issue in about 3 or 4 different threads so far :D ).

He was ranked 56th in the world before the open. Prior to this year he'd had 6 international victories (more than adam scott who I don't think would be considered a nobody) including 4 last year in japan. Just because someone dosen't play on the european or pga tours dosen't mean he's a nobody. He's far from a ben curtis, and shaun micheel was not even in his league when he won his major. :P :P :wink:

markTHEblake
20th July 2004, 11:02 PM
Just because someone dosen't play on the european or pga tours dosen't mean he's a nobody.

He might have been unknown to the rest of teh world but the yanks must know him already, he has been playing the PGA tour since last year and won his first event earlier this year, now he has 2.

markTHEblake
20th July 2004, 11:06 PM
Getting back to Els. I am pretty sure that there has only being about 4 occasions that someone has broken 70 in all 4 rounds in a major.

Els has done it twice now - but both times he didnt win.

goughy
21st July 2004, 12:24 AM
Just because someone dosen't play on the european or pga tours dosen't mean he's a nobody.

He might have been unknown to the rest of teh world but the yanks must know him already, he has been playing the PGA tour since last year and won his first event earlier this year, now he has 2.

This is actually his rookie season on the pga tour. He'll be rookie of the year no doubt.

AndyP
21st July 2004, 08:38 AM
So what does it take to be a somebody?
I had never heard of Todd Hamilton, and I'm sure plenty of others haven't. That's gotta make him close to a nobody.

McMw
21st July 2004, 09:52 AM
So what does it take to be a somebody?
I had never heard of Todd Hamilton, and I'm sure plenty of others haven't. That's gotta make him close to a nobody.

THANK YOU!!! :D

goughy - I'm not disputing his resume...
It's just that in terms of world golf...who's todd???

Now we know!!! :wink:

McMw
21st July 2004, 05:41 PM
http://www.golfdigest.com/majors/britishopen/index.ssf?/majors/britishopen/20040719sirak.html

goughy
21st July 2004, 06:47 PM
I spose I look at it from a different perspective. Even if I haven't heard of someone, I look at there resume and determine whether they are a nobody from that. :smt102

Different strokes for different folks.

Iain
21st July 2004, 07:37 PM
I spose I look at it from a different perspective. Even if I haven't heard of someone, I look at there resume and determine whether they are a nobody from that. :smt102

Different strokes for different folks.

I agree with you Goughy... :roll:

He's ranked in the top 100 in the world. He won the Honda Classic and made 12 of 20 cuts in 04 Prior to the Open?? So surely that doesn't make him a nobody IMHO.

Iain

markTHEblake
21st July 2004, 08:59 PM
He's ranked in the top 100 in the world.

He was 57th prior to the Open, and now he is about 16th.

He won the Honda Classic and made 12 of 20 cuts in 04 Prior to the Open

Its actually a bit of a laugh to look at his PGA Tour record this year. He has now had Two wins, a 15th, a 25th, and the rest are like 50+ or Missed cut.

Mr consistency he is not, but obviously he is making the best of his opportunity when he is on fire.

McMw
21st July 2004, 11:15 PM
whether or not he kicks on from here on in would make for a better story...

either that or he could follow the well trodden path of Ben Who, Shaun Who, David Who, and Paul Who... :lol:

McMw
22nd July 2004, 04:47 PM
Open showed how fragile Els is, and how far Mickelson has come (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/alan_shipnuck/07/20/open.wrap/index.html)

One of the themes from my U.S. Open story in the June 28 issue of Sports Illustrated was Ernie Els' perplexing fragility, and after Sunday at Troon you gotta wonder if he's suffered some kind of irreversible brain damage. In the last seven years Els has won just one major and lost about a dozen of 'em. The amount of scar tissue is incalculable. He's one signature self-immolation away from being certified as the Greg Norman of his generation, though that whiffed birdie putt on the 72nd hole on Troon will linger for a long time.

For a while Els could blame Tiger Woods' transcendence for his futility in the majors, but Easy's victory at the '02 Open Championship began Woods's lull. (Even that win featured a near-disaster, as Els double-bogeyed the 70th hole to blow the lead and managed to prevail in a playoff largely due to the kindness of others.)

The last two years should have belonged to Els, but if anything he's regressed. Els hit it all over the lot on Sunday, but holed a mile of putts to hang in there. Even so, it's not his swing that so consistently lets him down, it's "the head", as they say in Britain. Every time I see Els at the majors I'm struck by how he is endlessly shadowed by Jos Vanstiphout, the failed Belgian pop singer who has become a self-styled "mental coach." Jos falls somewhere between snake charmer and shaman, and for Els to be leaning ever more heavily on this crutch really makes me wonder. The two men playing the best golf in the majors right now are Phil Mickelson and Retief Goosen, and neither uses a sports psychologist. Nor does Woods. Grand Slam Sundays are played largely between the ears. Having lost three straight majors, Els needs to seriously sort out what's going on in his head.