PDA

View Full Version : Canberra golf courses - membership options

tprmc78
7th March 2015, 09:52 AM
Hi all,

Coming back to golf after a long break due to a whole lot of stuff and currently back in Canberra. Currently member at Yowani(re-activated membership and handicap) but looking at different options for a 7 day a week membership.
I have played a few courses in the last few weeks to try and get a feel for the condition of the course and the layout etc, Gold Creek, Murrumbidgee and hopefully get a hit on Gunghalin Lakes if I can get on.

If I had the funds it would be Federal all the way as that is closest to home but the minister for finance has ruled that out.......... which is a shame I love that course...!

What I have noticed is the increase in social play at Yowani which seriously eats into the times I am most likely to be able to get out on the gold course with other commitments.

Interested in peoples thoughts as the membership prices are pretty much the same but I have heard it is difficult to get a tee time on some of the weekend comps at some of the courses.

WBennett
7th March 2015, 02:47 PM
Monsta, DannyCallaz and myself are members at Gungahlin.

Tee times - there are 170 spots on Saturdays, and about 140 on Sundays (depending on pennant).

If you are organised and book when the timesheets open at 5:30 Thursdays, you can have your pick of spots.

Once the field is full, there is an electronic waiting list which is good if you want to play with new people each week to meet the membership.

As for condition, I haven't played either Murrumbidgee or Gold Creek in the last year so can't compare them. Lakes has just put in a new irrigation system which is growing back in well, but does have issues with weed on a couple of fairways that will take them a while to rectify.

icandy
7th March 2015, 03:27 PM
I played Lakes a few times and Royal Canberra when I was back there. Lakes is looking good with new irrigation system! Guess the pokies at Ainslie Football club are doing well lol.

qbnchopper
7th March 2015, 03:38 PM
Royal Queanbeyan is the only choice ! :-)

(nah gungahlin is value and there are a few nice guys from here there - though not benno :-))

icandy
7th March 2015, 03:43 PM
Didn't know there was a course in Queanbeyan!
Had Federal membership gone up? I was a member back there in 2000.

WBennett
7th March 2015, 03:54 PM
Royal Canberra is undergoing renos at the moment so Federal is full. $2600 or $3500 all inclusive for membership plus nomination.

Lakes is about $1200, Gold Creek about $2000 for Black Cap, Yowani about $1500ish?

qbnchopper
7th March 2015, 06:56 PM
Well there used to be a course (it might be a goat track now!). And there used to be a nine holer pitch and putt near Q racetrack ....

WBennett
7th March 2015, 08:42 PM
Course is still there.The pitch and putt was eaten up by housing 15 years ago.

tprmc78
8th March 2015, 07:38 AM
That is different to what I have heard about the lakes, I Will have to get up for a game because price wise it is competitive and no bowlers......
Played GC on Thursday walking and enjoyed but was left wondering what could have been,some great holes but the par 3's are ordinary.
I will also have to factor in water levy Yowani want $6 a game where the others only want $3 so there is another couple of hundred dollars to have a game each week socially.

I had an option when I first moved to Canberra to join Federal as it was a reciprocal course with my home club in Sydney, kicking myself now but didn't think I would be here that long.............

davepuppies
13th March 2015, 04:28 PM
I love federal......

Being in Sydney I don't get to play it very often though......

Has gunghalin lakes matured? I played it 4-5 years ago and it was a good layout, but seemed to need some time to blossom.

mrbluu
13th March 2015, 04:57 PM
Has gunghalin lakes matured?

I don't think so, by all accounts spud and monsta are still there!!!

benno_r
13th March 2015, 05:06 PM
I don't think so, by all accounts spud and monsta are still there!!!

Hahaha. I didn't mind GL at all, a couple of mickey mouse holes, but all in all a decent track.

And you are right, I doubt maturity is high there. I have a vague recollection of being flipped the bird, and called a choker while lining up what would have been the winning putt.

Note: This may be some exaggeration on my part.

WBennett
13th March 2015, 10:40 PM
I love federal......Being in Sydney I don't get to play it very often though......Has gunghalin lakes matured? I played it 4-5 years ago and it was a good layout, but seemed to need some time to blossom. Course is now 20 years old. Bunkers are now all 5.or 6 years old. They are now at the point where removing trees is now required.