PDA

View Full Version : Driver shaft advice

cratcliffe
5th March 2015, 04:27 PM
Hey Guys
Currently have Titleist 913 D2 9.5*, fitted with Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec, stiff flex.
Picked this club up from a trade in rack, and as usual performed like a charm when demoing, but since parted with cash.....
Problem is that I am now hitting push slices (sometimes even worse). Usually hit with controlled fade. Also ball flight is lower than usual.
My thoughts, and would love some advice, is the shaft too stiff for me to get the face square and not generating enough spin. I have even got it set at A3!!!
Thoughts?
Suggestions of alternative shaft (without spending too much). Dont have a much of pro-shop option here....so makes harder to get fitting (our pro is leaving industry and doesnt deal in Titleist)

Background of me: off 11, generate solid swing speed (but never really been tested), hit 5 iron 170m on fly (if that helps) not 100% sure on driver distance, about 250ish all up

Cheers

3oneday
5th March 2015, 04:31 PM
5 iron 170 is solid, shaft should be fine. Try gettinga pro to look at you with driver first.

JADO75
5th March 2015, 09:59 PM
Too much shaft, not too many can get the best out of the tour spec's & plenty don't like the feel with most saying they play too boardy (no feeling) or stiff. Doesn't matter if you generate pretty good club head speed, these bad boys need to be loaded a certain way to get great results. They're also a genuine low launch, low spin shaft so that would explain your ball flight. Try a different shaft brotha

Icestorm959
6th March 2015, 12:04 PM
Give a Tour AD DI a shot. Higher launch, slightly softer, better feeling (higher modulus carbon).

cratcliffe
8th March 2015, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys, i had someone look at the shaft and my swing (not pro, but a +1 handicapper) he agreed shaft too stiff for my swing......
The tour AD DI icestorm959 suggested looks great but unfort out of my $ range
There is a phenom RIP 70g shaft (stiff) on ebay for $130 with titleist adapter or diamana whiteboard D+ (without adapter - so would have to get one fitted)
Question is, what would you think is the better choice?

davidw88
10th March 2015, 06:01 PM
There is an Ad di 6s on there for 180, if you got that, you could nearly sell your shaft for that much to get your money back. Or try a Diamana S+ that should get the launch up. Whiteboard is a low launch and spin shaft. Search for titleist driver shaft on ebay and there are a few shafts there with tips already on them.

talbo
10th March 2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys, i had someone look at the shaft and my swing (not pro, but a +1 handicapper) he agreed shaft too stiff for my swing......
The tour AD DI icestorm959 suggested looks great but unfort out of my $ range
There is a phenom RIP 70g shaft (stiff) on ebay for $130 with titleist adapter or diamana whiteboard D+ (without adapter - so would have to get one fitted)
Question is, what would you think is the better choice?

I think the RIP Phenom 70 is a great stock shaft, similar launch/spin to DI7s but without the feel. $130 is probably too much though IMO, you should be able to find one for around $80-100 with titty adapter I would think.

JADO75
10th March 2015, 09:18 PM
$130 is close to the mark for a phenom with genuine titty tip, you'll never get near $180 these days for the 6.2 tour spec. Great shaft but most know they can't load it properly so they stay away unfortunately & it doesn't get the $$ it deserves. S+ can be found cheap enough & would be a good alternative or starting point.

talbo
10th March 2015, 09:24 PM
Wow! As good as they are I probably wouldn't pay that much :-)

Icestorm959
11th March 2015, 02:00 PM
Phenom for US$30 from rock bottom golf. Dunno how much shipping costs

http://m.rockbottomgolf.com/aldila-rip-phenom-wood-shaft.html

WanLefty
11th March 2015, 08:23 PM
Usually around 40usd to ship from the states for a shaft

Icestorm959
11th March 2015, 10:20 PM
Usually around 40usd to ship from the states for a shaft

Good deal - especially if you can get a few people to pile in for a group buy. Even for a single shaft it works out to be ~A$92 for a brand new Phenom. A tip will prolly cost $20, so about $110 gets you there. If you can't find an AD DI for under $150 I reckon the Phenom is probably the best way to go.

cratcliffe
12th March 2015, 09:17 AM
Awesome thanks guys

Trento
15th March 2015, 09:54 AM
Consider the Aldila rip Red eyes.
At the end of the day it will be trial and error.

cratcliffe
24th March 2015, 03:09 PM
Update....Trialing the Diamana Whiteboard D+ at moment, 2 rounds and at this stage working very well (but could still be the honeymoon period)
Launch seems better, good carry and seems I have better feel