PDA

View Full Version : Golf Psychology 101

AlexMc
28th February 2015, 09:18 PM
Three of my last five rounds have been 41 points - the first was chasing down a poor front 9, but the last two have been leaking shots badly over the last few holes.

Today I had +4 for the front 9 for 21 points. I was +1 after 6 on the back 9, but finished triple/bogey/par for 20 points (+5 for 80 off the stick). For the first 14 holes I focussed on getting pars and 3 pointers - by the 14th I was 7 shots up on my handicap. I hit a good drive down the 15th, hit a little lob wedge in to about 5 foot.

Then my mindset changed - I started thinking about my end score rather than focussing on the hole in question which worked up until that point. I missed the putt, then on 16 hit my worst drive of the day, then rather than taking the safe option for my third (pitching to the left side of the green, two putt, walk away with 5 for 2 points) went for the pin and put it in a bunker and walk away with triple. Head was gone at that point - hit a poor tee shot into an easy par 3 and walk away with a point. Managed to get my sh*t together for a par on the last but didn't break 80.

Any tips for keeping your head when you are on a tear? I really should have had 45 points today (probably more - greens have been scarified and I left a fair few putts over the hole) and rather than being happy with 41 points I'm just frustrated at what could have been.

(Sidenote - in the end 45 points wouldn't have won the comp any way - two 47 points in B Grade today!)

Captain Nemo
28th February 2015, 09:23 PM
41 points, I'm happy if I have 31...
Just go out and enjoy it, your obviously hitting it well?

mrbluu
28th February 2015, 09:25 PM
Mind set is to think about the shot you are playing and not the score. This is where a preshot routine is really valuable.

Hatchman
28th February 2015, 10:27 PM
One shot at a time, one hole at a time.

When on a tear one thing to help stop thinking of your score and playing holes in your head before it's time is to focus on your surroundings in between shots. Pay particular attention to a type of tree/bush or even any wild life that may be on your course. Don't think about your next shot until you get to your ball and then go through your routine. Keep doing this until all the holes are done.

markTHEblake
28th February 2015, 11:04 PM
Any tips for keeping your head when you are on a tear?
Yes. Don't think about the end score. There is nothing wrong with knowing what you score in progress is, but you should not be expecting a certain score, or start practicing your acceptance speech.

Expectations ruin your head, don't have any and play each shot on its merits.

jimandr
1st March 2015, 12:37 AM
This thread probably should be in The Academy, and probably will be after a few more contributions are added.

I don't see Alex's query as being the same as choking, but the answer is pretty close to being the same. The old cliche of one shot at a time applies, with a focus upon technique and the good swing thoughts that got you there.

There is a second issue associated with Alex's post that I think is worthy of discussion though. When you find yourself in that mythical purple patch of form, how do you stay there?

AlexMc
1st March 2015, 07:53 AM
There probably was an element of choke there - I knew where I was score-wise (effectively +7 on my handicap after 15). I changed my line of thinking and my score suffered as a result.

I think puting my third into the bunker on 16 was a bit of "bulletproof" thinking - everything else came off up to that point and I was thinking I could take it on and stick it close. Was the one really poor play of the day - I really needed to take the safe play, walk away with two points and get to the next hole. My head was thinking get par though...

Pre-shot routine is a good idea. I need to be slowed down a little at that point and some time to think and breathe before hitting the ball...

mrbluu
1st March 2015, 08:56 AM
There probably was an element of choke there - I knew where I was score-wise (effectively +7 on my handicap after 15). I changed my line of thinking and my score suffered as a result.

I think puting my third into the bunker on 16 was a bit of "bulletproof" thinking - everything else came off up to that point and I was thinking I could take it on and stick it close. Was the one really poor play of the day - I really needed to take the safe play, walk away with two points and get to the next hole. My head was thinking get par though...

Pre-shot routine is a good idea. I need to be slowed down a little at that point and some time to think and breathe before hitting the ball...

Just use it as a learning experience as opposed to a negative thing. U played really well to get to 7under, so u are doing something right.

Playing safe ia sometimes the key. I always say a birdie doesn't help your round as much as a double will hurt it.

Keep up the good play!!!

FuzzyJuzzy
1st March 2015, 09:01 AM
I also try and take in the scenery more between shots when I know I'm narrowing in on a good score. And I also make a conscious effort to just slow down between shots - walk a bit slower and more casually, rather than marching towards my ball like a man on a mission. While still staying in the moment, I try not to think about my next shot and how I may/may not play it until I get to my ball.
In saying all of that, it's still hard as hell most times to NOT think about what you may end up scoring as you're coming down the stretch in a solid round....to some degree that's inevitable.

FuzzyJuzzy
1st March 2015, 09:04 AM
I always say a birdie doesn't help your round as much as a double will hurt it.

I like that thinking Bluey:).

Hatchman
1st March 2015, 09:12 AM
Just use it as a learning experience as opposed to a negative thing. U played really well to get to 7under, so u are doing something right.

Playing safe ia sometimes the key. I always say a birdie doesn't help your round as much as a double will hurt it.

Keep up the good play!!!

Never go red with that thought :mrgreen:

FuzzyJuzzy
1st March 2015, 09:16 AM
Mind set is to think about the shot you are playing and not the score. This is where a preshot routine is really valuable.

Speaking of pre-shot routines, does anyone see many blokes taking full-on serious practice swings as part of their pre-shot routines? I played with a bloke a while ago who would take two dead serious practice swings before each shot - including standing at address as if there was an actual ball there and even holding the follow through. Thought that was pretty weird myself.
I mean, I take a practice swing (or two if I've got to try and fluke some proper tricky business) but it's more of a casual sort of thing to keep loose while thinking about the shot I'm about to play. Each to their own, but that's the kind of practice swings that I see most of the time on the course nowadays.

Hatchman
1st March 2015, 09:24 AM
That is strange.
Must be the practice as hard as you play method.

backintheswing
1st March 2015, 09:30 AM
I'll chime in. I am playing off 4.7 at the moment. Not really proud of that, but we have dsr problems up here.

Anyway, what I try to do is not worry at all about what your daily handicap is, I play to par. Like yesterday I had 40 points, which only ended up as a played to 2.7, but even when I knew my score was going to be ok, I was still attacking over the last few holes, as I was trying to shoot par not 5 over.

Maybe set a score of 3 over per side Alex, and then that's your pass score. Anything else and you are still chopping it.

wizard_of_oz
6th March 2015, 06:13 PM
Speaking of pre-shot routines, does anyone see many blokes taking full-on serious practice swings as part of their pre-shot routines? I played with a bloke a while ago who would take two dead serious practice swings before each shot - including standing at address as if there was an actual ball there and even holding the follow through. Thought that was pretty weird myself.I mean, I take a practice swing (or two if I've got to try and fluke some proper tricky business) but it's more of a casual sort of thing to keep loose while thinking about the shot I'm about to play. Each to their own, but that's the kind of practice swings that I see most of the time on the course nowadays.I've seen those sort of people. Blardy slows down the whole round. Bunch of twats.

mrbluu
6th March 2015, 07:06 PM
I've seen those sort of people. Blardy slows down the whole round. Bunch of twats.
How???

yoyo
7th March 2015, 10:03 AM
Because the setup and play every shot 3 times

AlexMc
8th March 2015, 07:37 AM
Might of fixed my closing issues - 50/37 for 87 (74 nett) (on Medal day - long and tough).

Easier to close it out when your round is dead by the 6th!