PDA

View Full Version : Starting downswing before finishing backswing

FuzzyJuzzy
28th February 2015, 07:58 PM
Has anyone else tried/used that swing thought where you start the downswing before you finish the backswing? Sounds counter-intuitive I know, but read it on Golf Digest or GolfWRX the other day, basically just saying to start to move your weight/lower body towards your front side as you're getting to the top of your backswing, rather than after you've already got to the top. From memory the piece was saying doing this helps to get your weight to the front side early/properly while also encouraging you to start the downswing with the lower body and reducing an OTT tendency.
Didn't have the balls to try it with my driver/hybrid in comp this morning, but started doing it with my irons and was absolutely flushing them. Feels a bit unco at first, but seemed to give results. Put an 8-iron to a foot on the par 3 14th at Liverpool GC, and barely hit a poor iron all day. Next time out I'll see how it goes with the driver swing.ll

Icestorm959
28th February 2015, 10:29 PM
Thats the Rory double clutch move right?

yoyo
28th February 2015, 10:50 PM
Anytime I try it my hips end up sliding and I lose it right

markTHEblake
1st March 2015, 12:17 AM
Only Wayne Grady doesn't do this

matty
1st March 2015, 07:58 AM
I'd say that movement is part of a normal golf swing. It's just more pronounced in some golfers.

yoyo
1st March 2015, 08:57 AM
Yeh I guess perhaps making it a conscious thing may tend to over exaggerate it and increase the potential to get out of control?

3oneday
2nd March 2015, 11:08 AM
Yep, as one who regularly starts the downswing before the backswing is finished, I'd avoid :)

Scifisicko
2nd March 2015, 12:09 PM
Bubba is a good example of this, check out his hips turning towards the ball/target while the club/shoulders are still turning back (at around 25 seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJa99Pc6m0Q

FuzzyJuzzy
2nd March 2015, 12:58 PM
Bubba is a good example of this, check out his hips turning towards the ball/target while the club/shoulders are still turning back (at around 25 seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJa99Pc6m0Q

Thanks mate. Awesome slo-mo there - pretty impressive to see how much his hips/lower body was turning towards the target while his upper body barely moved.

FuzzyJuzzy
2nd March 2015, 01:00 PM
Yep, as one who regularly starts the downswing before the backswing is finished, I'd avoid :)

Fair play Pete. Seemed to be giving me good results (touch wood) though, so will see where it takes me...

virge666
3rd March 2015, 06:01 PM
Thanks mate. Awesome slo-mo there - pretty impressive to see how much his hips/lower body was turning towards the target while his upper body barely moved.

FWIW... I think that is athleticism more than it is technique. Most of my knowledge and drills require the student to start the downswing independently of the back swing.

Also - you guys all see those hips moving left, where as i see them rotating up.

My 2 cents.

Scifisicko
3rd March 2015, 06:51 PM
Its very prominent on the tour, look at Rory, Tiger and especially the long drive guys like Sadlowski. It creates a lot of torque when the lower half starts the downswing before the shoulders have finished turning back. I had a few golf lessons once and this was the focus. Shawn Clement teaches it in his "crack the whip" drill. What is rotating up?

talbo
3rd March 2015, 07:19 PM
FWIW... I think that is athleticism more than it is technique. Most of my knowledge and drills require the student to start the downswing independently of the back swing.

Also - you guys all see those hips moving left, where as i see them rotating up.

My 2 cents.

By rotating up, do you mean the squat down then driving up through the ball like Rory does?

virge666
4th March 2015, 08:17 AM
By rotating up, do you mean the squat down then driving up through the ball like Rory does?

pretty much.

Look at amateurs 3 frame after impact. Then compare to the knees to Rory or any one else on tour for that matter... The choppers will have both knees bent facing the target. The good guys will have a straight-ish front leg and the back leg will be facing the camera more.

The pros release the club and let is go past the left side and us choppers all slow the club down into impact by sliding the hips cause we reckon that is what you are meant to do.

talbo
4th March 2015, 12:08 PM
Cheers.

I found I started doing this naturally after practicing TW's stinger...... but unfortunately only on the shots I want to hit really low!