PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland Sunday 26/3/06 11.49am "closed"

jimandr
19th March 2006, 09:56 PM
The greens at Camden Valley are being cored and sanded this week, so I'm going to stay away for at least two weeks.

Does anyone want to join me for an 'away game' at somewhere like Cumberland (if we can get a booking), Glenmore or Penrith (or somewhere else with a Sunday Open Day and a course in decent condition)?

I'm not even sure Cumberland's Sunday comp is an open, and I know that Penrith is a late comp. If I make the booking it'll be a latish tee time no matter where it happens.

I'll wait until Tuesday to see if there is any interest, and then I'll ring around the clubs.

connico
19th March 2006, 10:10 PM
ill be in for that jim...anywhere is fine

brad
20th March 2006, 12:34 PM
Sorry Jim, I think our weekend is already full. I'll let amanda overrule me if I'm wrong though.

connico
20th March 2006, 12:42 PM
Wouldnt mind playing ashlar in blacktown if that has an open day on sunday?

Or cabramatta i think its in fairly good conditions?

jimandr
20th March 2006, 11:24 PM
At this stage, it looks like just the two of us.

Neither Ashlar nor Cabramatta are Sunday options. Zipptopp is a member at Ashlar. If he ever becomes a regular golfer again and develops enough status to be granted a special deal he might be able to get us on someday.

I'll ring around tomorrow. If I can get a spot for 4 somewhere (without cored greens) I'll book it and see what happens.

Stay tuned.

connico
20th March 2006, 11:47 PM
cool jim, nps mate

Fishman Dan
21st March 2006, 07:15 AM
I'm potentially a starter, but not until we've got a venue.

Gordon has recently cored, so that's out.

3oneday
21st March 2006, 07:59 AM
At this stage, it looks like just the two of us.

Neither Ashlar nor Cabramatta are Sunday options. Zipptopp is a member at Ashlar. If he ever becomes a regular golfer again and develops enough status to be granted a special deal he might be able to get us on someday.

I'll ring around tomorrow. If I can get a spot for 4 somewhere (without cored greens) I'll book it and see what happens.

Stay tuned.why is Ashlar a problem ?? they only close the course to visitors on Sundays during winter, or has that changed ??

Pete

amanda
21st March 2006, 08:48 AM
Sorry Jim, I think our weekend is already full. I'll let amanda overrule me if I'm wrong though.

Sorry all - we have a birthday party on Sunday - have fun!

Grunt
21st March 2006, 04:24 PM
Sorry Nelson Bay this Sunday.

Fishman Dan
21st March 2006, 06:23 PM
I think Pete might be right.. i think that's the policy for Ashlar and Fox Hills for that matter. When it's Daylight Savings you can usually get on as visitors.

Trung
21st March 2006, 06:37 PM
If anyone is interested, I maybe able to host 1 player....

Jim, I'm ruling you out since I like to start early.........

connico
21st March 2006, 06:39 PM
whens the latest i can claim that trung lol :)

jimandr
21st March 2006, 07:27 PM
Time and venue have been secured and confirmed. See change in title of this thread.

The list is:

1. Jimandr
2. Connico (maybe)
3. Fishman Dan (maybe)
4. ?

According to the NSWGA website, the only Open Day at Ashlar is Tuesday. I guess Zipptopp will know for sure. Fox Hills was listed as a Sunday Open Day. I've never played there, so I'm game to try it sometime, even though other OzGolfers don't seem to recommend it very highly.

I'll post in Grunt's Open Day thread regarding other phone calls I made, and some listings according to the NSWGA.

Glenmore was cored and sanded last week. They are having pennants this Sunday (bad luck for the pennant players, eh Pete!) so we couldn't have got on anyway.

connico
21st March 2006, 07:55 PM
whats the price to play jim?????? and are we playing the open comp or just social?

Fishman Dan
21st March 2006, 09:04 PM
Let me check that time. This missus has planned a day with her work people, so being that i'm still sore from 'our' canyoning trip the other day, i might be able to do this one.

jimandr
21st March 2006, 10:06 PM
whats the price to play jim?????? and are we playing the open comp or just social?

You are only an OzGolf youngster, so I'll let you off easily, particularly as you'll be my partner if you play with us.

We always play in comps if we can. That's why we look high and low for Open Days, particularly on weekends. The only exceptions would be matchplay occasions during the week.

I was casting evil eyes at the first tee at Camden Valley last Sunday while walking up the adjacent fairway at about 2.30pm. There were three groups impatiently waiting to tee off, and the first of them did not wait until the group in front were out of range before starting to hit.

I hope I never have to run the gauntlet of weekend social play ever again. Competitions are much more civilised, and the comp fee is usually cheaper than the social green fee.

I forgot to ask what the Cumberland comp fee was. I doubt it would be more than about $30. I'll try and find out tomorrow.

connico
21st March 2006, 10:10 PM
ok im in as long as its a comp.....and yes im a youngen...but i only wanna play comps on the saturday and sunday... :)

Fishman Dan
21st March 2006, 10:16 PM
Ah, early signs of the vanity handicap ;)

If you're going to bother playing, you may as well make it a handicap round. After all, i value every .1 i can get :p

Ok, 99% confirmed. This should be a go-er. I've got a score to settle with Cumberland..

1. Jimandr
2. Fishman Dan (Really possibly)
3. Connico (maybe)
4. ?

3oneday
21st March 2006, 10:21 PM
Glenmore was cored and sanded last week. They are having pennants this Sunday (bad luck for the pennant players, eh Pete!) so we couldn't have got on anyway.A mate played there on Sunday and said they were not too bad. Penrith is playing them on Sunday so they will be spewing if the greens are crap !! I think they are one win behind Carnarvon who we play, but it seems only 2 or 3 of our guys have played Carnarvon, so we could be in for a rough day !!!

At least we get lunch !! :lol:

Pete

connico
21st March 2006, 10:36 PM
1. Jimandr
2. Fishman Dan (Really possibly)
3. Connico
4. ?

Fishman Dan
23rd March 2006, 08:05 AM
Sorry guys, another offer has appeared. It never rains but pours?

I was inclined to take the other offer due to it's early start.. it means i still have 1/2 the day to get back in the good books.

I would like to have another crack at Cumberland, but it would be typical that we almost organised this on the final Sunday of daylight savings?

1. Jim
2. Connico
3. ?
4. ?

connico
23rd March 2006, 08:31 AM
Well im confirmed, anyone else wanna punt??? matty??? trung you lazy bastard?? jono??

3oneday
23rd March 2006, 08:40 AM
I would like to have another crack at Cumberland, but it would be typical that we almost organised this on the final Sunday of daylight savings?we can play our match there Dan, one Sunday, say May..... this year !!!

:lol:

Trung
23rd March 2006, 09:37 AM
Well im confirmed, anyone else wanna punt??? matty??? trung you lazy bastard?? jono??

Sorry Anthony, its home course for me at 7am... :-P

Jono
23rd March 2006, 11:14 AM
Sorry Connico. I'm out too. Working this Sat and Sun. :(

connico
23rd March 2006, 11:28 AM
looks like its just me and jim, thats cool jim can show me around cumberland...and maybe we can do a matchplay so he can get some revenge in lol

Fishman Dan
23rd March 2006, 06:47 PM
we can play our match there Dan, one Sunday, say May..... this year !!!

:lol:

Sheezus.. April already. Is that the time?! :shock:

jimandr
23rd March 2006, 09:20 PM
looks like its just me and jim, thats cool jim can show me around cumberland...and maybe we can do a matchplay so he can get some revenge in lol

I've seen you play, and I know your handicap is a starting point of negotiations. You're not getting any money out of me.

I'd prefer to ride on your coat-tails to win the comp if you have a good day.

Besides, I might have another borrowed new driver to try if I'm lucky.

I'll leave the spots open until Saturday just in case any other players become available late in the piece (as happened at Liverpool last November).

connico
23rd March 2006, 09:42 PM
lol, i didnt say match play for money lol, im asian but not asian lol...

You must be playing with trung to much???..

Regardless if i have a good day, your assured a ball atleast lol :)

Fishman Dan
23rd March 2006, 10:09 PM
We could almost get from Carny to Cumberland for an 11:30 start ;)

3oneday
23rd March 2006, 10:28 PM
We could almost get from Carny to Cumberland for an 11:30 start ;)except I'd miss the 2 hours open bar, and the silver service luncheon !!! nah, stomach wins :lol: last round though, then I am back to playing when I am permitted ;) !!!

jimandr
25th March 2006, 10:25 AM
I have now rung the club and cancelled the additional two spots, so I hope nobody becomes available at the last minute.

I have a new driver, however I'm not going to reveal its identity until after Connico has seen it. I guarantee he will be surprised and envious.

I bought it and tried it out yesterday afternoon. It goes great when I hit it in the middle, but awful if I mis-hit it. I'll need to experiment with a few things to work out how to hit it, so I may not be in top form (like almost every game for the last 18 months!).

I have not played Cumberland for about 15 years, so I'm looking forward to it.

EDIT: I've just discovered that if I don't spell mis-hit with a hyphen, it gets censored. Amazing!

connico
25th March 2006, 03:38 PM
lol comon man tell me what the driver is??..tell, tell, tell me!!

whats its name atleast lol, 'yes' you have to name all your equipment lol

Regardless i played pathetic today so i should be in for an excellent game tomorrow...hows that work??? its all about the force...and the balance of it lol

jimandr
26th March 2006, 06:19 PM
Our two player tournament has been played, in perfect weather on quite a nice golf course.

We were too busy trying to turn our good ball striking into good scores to play against each other. I didn't have a card, so I didn't know how Connico was going. Had I known, I may have tried to put a lot of pressure on his three footer at the last.

Connico 36 points
Jimandr 35 points.

My new driver, a Mizuno MP001, was quite successful after I worked out the correct way to swing it and aim it. I was quite happy with my play.

Connico hit lots of shots of much higher quality than most 25 handicappers will ever play, a few bad ones, and lots of strokes butchered around the greens.

Cumberland's fairways have suffered badly from the hot dry summer, but we agreed that we'll go back there again, perhaps after it has rained a bit to give the grass a chance to grow. It is a good course, particularly the front nine.

connico
26th March 2006, 06:26 PM
Yeah had an ok day, was not as consistent as i liked it, again i wiped 2 holes and still scored ok...36 points with two wipes isnt bad, i missed fair few birds and pars today, burgled a few holes...but my sand play was crap, had i gotten out in one stroke, i would of had a better day..

Regardless thanks jim for the outing and seeya next week...

Driver was crap today too...