PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Staff Duo Balls

SirTop
21st February 2015, 06:56 PM
Was given a sleeve of these st a corporate day at Pennant Hills on Friday and played one of the best rounds ever in terms of ball striking.

They felt great off the club face and seemed to do all the right things. I've read a lot of good reviews and feedback on the ball top.

I'm hitting my new Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 irons really well of late after switching from Mizzie JPX 825 Pro's so feeling good about being back in the Wilson camp after years of them falling into the cheap set profile.

Any opinions out there on these?

Should be a bargain on these too soon with the new ball coming out next month

Steve
21st February 2015, 06:58 PM
ST the V2 or V4 irons?

SirTop
21st February 2015, 07:02 PM
ST the V2 or V4 irons?

Steve, V2 mate

Bloody awesome irons. Obviously smaller head and heralded as the better players irons but hey I seem to play them well and I'm not a better player!

You looking at them?

Steve
21st February 2015, 07:23 PM
I have V2s, I didn't read right I thought you meant "the new" but it is your new.

The V 2s are great, I had mine de-lofted a little to bring the back in line with the AP2s I had prior

SirTop
21st February 2015, 07:31 PM
I have V2s, I didn't read right I thought you meant "the new" but is your new.

Oh yeah new for me sorry.

I remember you saying they were nice sticks from memory, assume you are enjoying them still? Are you going to upgrade?

I'd be interested in trying the new set out but these are lovely, the small head is good and makes you step up as you know there's much less forgiveness.

These irons don't go as far as the Mizzie's but I seem to get better accuracy.

markTHEblake
22nd February 2015, 10:45 AM
I have tried these, they look like they don't go very far in the air but I never lost distance with them. But I found them a bit 'jumpy' off the club with pitching and chipping. I will give the new one a try when I can find some, it might be a good ball for me when it's windy

gazgolf1
22nd February 2015, 05:58 PM
But I found them a bit 'jumpy' off the club with pitching and chipping.

^ This.....Played this ball for a while and loved the soft feel and distance was about normal for me compared to other balls. I just could not get used to chipping and pitching with this ball wanting to run up the face of wedges etc.

SirTop
22nd February 2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks.

I really enjoyed the feel and distance in the last game, so much that it seemed to give my regular ball a run for it's money

Steve
22nd February 2015, 06:58 PM
I used two of them today, like most balls the Duo doesn't float. Liked the ball, however not on full PW shots, just did not feel right. Short chips nice, just not full wedge

Godscountry
22nd February 2015, 08:16 PM
I found the opposite, was ok with driver and full iron shots but around the green and pitch shots were awful for me

wizard_of_oz
23rd February 2015, 05:38 PM
These balls are like marshmallows off irons and carry further for me. No control around the green though, any tight pins and you're done for. Balloons too high for my driver.

Ferrins
23rd February 2015, 07:54 PM
I have the original FG Tour forged irons so will dig up a Duo and give it a round. Will report back with verdict.

Steve
23rd February 2015, 08:26 PM
The fella I played with on the weekend had DUOSPIN I think from Asia he liked them, I think they are soft soft soft

SirTop
23rd February 2015, 10:36 PM
Thanks all.

Just found a sleeve of Wilson Staff FG Tour Urethane balls in my goodie bag from Friday's other corporate day I was at.

I opened them up and the cover feels really nice, very soft and reminds me of the Taylormade Tour Preferred goodness

Maybe it's the 2nd glass of wine talking but I'm really enjoying the Wilson Staff revival

I'm especially loving the smaller head and profile on the irons and the stock KBS tours of course

G.K
23rd February 2015, 11:03 PM
Just found a sleeve of Wilson Staff FG Tour Urethane balls in my goodie bag from Friday's other corporate day I was at.

I opened them up and the cover feels really nice, very soft and reminds me of the Taylormade Tour Preferred goodness

I quite liked the feel of the FG Tour ball and played them for a bit when Golfbox had them at $29 a doz a while ago. Had a nice soft feel off all clubs for me. Only thing I didn't like was that they seemed to discolour really quickly.

timah!
23rd February 2015, 11:42 PM
The FG tours were a great ball. I should try the new version at some point.

artofputting
10th March 2015, 01:53 PM
played the Duo for a while. loved the soft feel and the sound it makes at impact, including the putter. but like others said, it doesnt perform so well near and around the greens. i later switched to wilson C25, which is a 3 piece ball that is around the same price as the Duo. I found that the C25 had better all-round performance

3Puttpete
10th March 2015, 03:21 PM
played the Duo for a while. loved the soft feel and the sound it makes at impact, including the putter. but like others said, it doesnt perform so well near and around the greens. i later switched to wilson C25, which is a 3 piece ball that is around the same price as the Duo. I found that the C25 had better all-round performance

The C:25 is officially endorsed by the SA Champ