PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Larry....hows it going up there boys ?

gazgolf1
19th March 2006, 07:46 PM
Just saw that courty was on and I thought I'd ask how its looking in Nth Qld.
Also Mike in Cairns and Dave a bit further down... they say this looks like a big one.

gazgolf1
19th March 2006, 07:59 PM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g32/gazgolf1/IDQ65241.gif

brad
20th March 2006, 12:41 PM
Yeah guys, hope all is well !

andylo
20th March 2006, 12:55 PM
So does it affects Mt Isa?

3oneday
20th March 2006, 03:10 PM
Pretty sure either Cairns has been evacuated or they have no phone lines...

Pete

Jarro
20th March 2006, 03:17 PM
Innisfail looks like it copped most of the storm ... at least that's what they said on the news.

Yo Courty ... what's up Bro !!!!!!

markTHEblake
20th March 2006, 11:23 PM
onewoods really excited. he cant stop thinking about all those pools to clean afterwards

BrisVegas
21st March 2006, 08:43 AM
My aunty near Ingham said they've lost power and water and some trees, but there wasn't too much serious damage. She's only 30-40m from the water on Taylor's Beach, so I was a bit worried about talk of a 4 metre storm surge.

Moe Norman
21st March 2006, 08:46 AM
my family at Mission Beach got hammered, my grandpa was most upset that the roof came off his carport and his golf clubs were blown away. He then realised it didn't matter too much as the whole golf course was blown away as well.

connico
21st March 2006, 08:58 AM
yeah there is going alot of courses in poor condition....trees ripped up and greens destroyed...

Regardless hope your grand dad gets a new set the insurance :)

Courty
21st March 2006, 12:46 PM
We just got power back on a couple of hours ago. There are areas which will be without power for several more days though. Our house is fine, but we lost a panel of fence. From what I've seen, there hasn't been too much in the way of structural damage here in Cairns, mainly stuff like signs getting blown over/ away. You realise how powerful the winds are when you see road sign poles bent over at 90 degrees. The biggest victim around here was the trees. They have been uprooted, snapped or shredded. Not far from my place on the highway there is a Caravan yard. When we went past yesterday, there were very few caravans still standing. Most had been blown onto their side or roof, and some had completely disintegrated.

My in-laws live in Innisfail (80km South of Cairns). They had windows smashed, roller-doors blown away, water damage everywhere. And they got off lightly.

The worst news though, is that there is another cyclone on the way. It could be here on Thursday.

terryand
21st March 2006, 12:49 PM
Good to hear you got out of it reasonably OK Courty.

Terry.

connico
21st March 2006, 01:53 PM
OMG 80% of the banana suppliers are gone!!! bananas going to raise in prices, should have stocked up when i knew the cyclone was coming hehehe

Freaking i reckon the price for a banana is going to hit the roof

brad
21st March 2006, 10:00 PM
Glad to here that our northern neighbours are safe !

goughy
21st March 2006, 10:11 PM
My apprentices (Darth Kyall) grand parents live up that way. Apparently they couldn't get outside because the wind was too strong and they couldn't budge the door.

Fishman Dan
21st March 2006, 10:25 PM
I heard the Innisfail Big BBQ is on. The butcher would have lost his entire stock by mid-arvo today so he was cooking everything he could in the cool-room before it spoiled.

Had a dozen backpackers helping out.