PDA

View Full Version : Your local council swimming pool?

goughy
19th March 2006, 02:43 PM
Just gotten back from taking jaz and kyan down to the council pool for a swim. It got me thinking what is around in the way of facilities these days. I used to do laps (not lap dances andyp) at the jindalee pool when I lived there. Maybe we're spoiled in 'Woomba and maybe not.

Originally our council run pool (we only had 1 for the town) was the standard 8 lane 50mtr pool (with diving boards etc at the deep end) and I think 1 kids pool. It was all outdoors. Now is a different story.

They still have the 50mtr outdoor pool with grandstands down one side as always. The rest has changed dramatically. Everything else has gone indoors. They've added a gym and aerobics facilities, sauna and spa as well. They have 2 pools for under 5's next to each other. One is a bit deeper than the other, and they have a few water jets between them. Both these are reasonably heated for the small kids. They also have a gated off pool dedicated for swimming lessons for kids and also the theraputic swimming for the disabled. It is fairly warm (for the little kids) and also has a winch (or whatever) to assist disabled people to enter and exit the pool.

There is a 6 lane 25mtr pool inside as well. One side of it opens out to a play area that gets gradually shallower and shallower. This is where jaz and I spend most of our time. There are a few water jets etc around plus one of those mushrooms the water spills out over. But today was cool. First time I've been there that the wave machine was on. Yes, this large pool becomes a wave pool at different times of the day. Jaz was worried at first but loved it in the end. Not heavy stuff, just lots of up and down.

Then they have a waterslide up the far end as well. I think these are some great facilities, and it had me wondering what else it around. Or are most of them just your average run of the mill pool facilities.

AndyP
19th March 2006, 02:54 PM
There's several options for swimming around my area, including the Jindalee and Corinda public swimming pools. As far as I know, they are nothing special. We are also very close to a kiddies swim training centre, if we ever want Mitchell to have lessons.
There's also the next door neighbours swimming pool. In fact, they haven't been home all weekend. Hmmmmmm.

goughy
19th March 2006, 03:09 PM
Jaz has been in lessons since 6 or 8 months, kyan started this term at about 10 months. One thing we insist is that they know how to swim asap, for their own safety. Families with pools and near the beach. They gotta know how to stay on top of the water.

Jarro
19th March 2006, 03:42 PM
we have a local pool just downthe road .... always crowded though.

.. maybe it's beacuse they DON'T HAVE A POOL IN THEIR BACKYARD :mrgreen:

markTHEblake
19th March 2006, 05:08 PM
Goughy, your just a pool ho

whats wrong with the local creek, a tree, rope and a car tyre tube?

goughy
19th March 2006, 06:37 PM
There ain't no creeks with water in them in ours parts.