PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 16 February 2015

Steve57
16th February 2015, 10:28 PM
Played this afternoon at Riverlakes and shot my best round there ever.
Par 70
Gross 68 (2 under)
Net 63
9 FWIR
10 GIR
6 birdies, 4 bogies, 8 pars
25 putts
H'cap down to a new all time low of 3.3

mrbluu
17th February 2015, 12:09 AM
Great work Steve!!! I can't wait for our next game so u can give me a shot or 4 ;-)

jimandr
18th February 2015, 05:30 PM
The forecast for the next few days is horrendous, so it was important to get a game in before the rain sets in. I was very happy with my decision after 13 holes, when I was one over, and five under handicap. But the rain came a bit early, and my game dissolved with the extra wetness. A 'should've been much better' 37 points was the final result.

I now need to decide whether to post in the shank thread or the choke thread.

highballin
18th February 2015, 07:13 PM
If you have to think about then it's both Jim :wink:

dunteachin
18th February 2015, 07:40 PM
32 points (15/17) - three 3-putts, one miss and one super long putt birdie - driving okay but not hitting irons well so not many GIRs - had a 3 in front of the score so can't complain too much

WBennett
21st February 2015, 07:01 PM
After 38 points last week, nothing much happened today.
no birdies, only one silly three putt, up and down 3 from 6 traps. And had 39 points 40/39/79 to break 80 for the first time since Juneish.

down to 7.9 which still has me off 10.

dunteachin
21st February 2015, 09:02 PM
28 points (16/12) - started okay but went down hill and never recovered - nothing major, just didn't play well

WBennett
21st February 2015, 09:07 PM
Dt, some point soon i should come over the hill or you come and have a round this side.

oldracer
21st February 2015, 09:49 PM
After 38 points last week, nothing much happened today.
no birdies, only one silly three putt, up and down 3 from 6 traps. And had 39 points 40/39/79 to break 80 for the first time since Juneish.

down to 7.9 which still has me off 10.nice shootin young fella, well done

Hatchman
21st February 2015, 10:13 PM
Wasted opportunity to have my 5th flag in 6 rounds at Kapunda today (left a heap out there @MegaWatty)

Used an old Callaway Big Bertha 8° with Memphis 10 steel shaft.
Was looking forward to hitting it before the game but that enthusiasm disappeared after about 6 holes. Couldn't make good contact on anything and was play 20-30m behind where I usually hit it from. Silver lining was I had it in play more often than any other driver over that last 6 months. I won't be staying in the bag thou.

I've never had so many lip outs in one round as I had today. Putted ok and got nothing all day.
We started on the 7th due to the massive line up to get off the first and beat the 40° heat at 7am. Lipped out from 10 foot for bird on 7. Lipped out from 4 foot for bird on 8. Lipped out par save from 6 foot on 9. Lipped par save from 6 foot on 10. Lipped out from 12 foot for bird on 11, lipped out from 15 foot for bird on 12. Was pin high for 2 on the par 5 16th and slid under the chip out of long grass just making it on the green, lipped the birdie attempt out from 15 foot and lipped the par save from 3 foot. Had a 60m pitch into the par 4 17th and shanked, duffed the next , chipped up and lipped out the boggie save form 4 foot.
Had another 3 lip outs for par saves on the last 7 holes all from 4-6 foot and 2 chipped another green.

Finished with 34 points ruing the missed opportunities and never had any luck that evened any of it out. Never holed a putt bigger than 4 foot for the whole day. Gamed the Mild Steels again and once again was hitting the irons like darts for the most part of the day until the lip out frustration got to me. Not sure what the Shimada Tours are going to go into now.

coalesce
21st February 2015, 11:09 PM
Hatch I've not played that many rounds with you but quite a few recently so I have a question. Were you ever that good a putter that your recent performance was an aberration? Because I don't think ive seen you sink as many putts as you think you should have.

Not meant to be a go, just a question

mrbluu
21st February 2015, 11:49 PM
Hatch I've not played that many rounds with you but quite a few recently so I have a question, have u always been a shit putter???

FTFY [emoji13]

Hatchman
22nd February 2015, 01:01 AM
Hatch I've not played that many rounds with you but quite a few recently so I have a question. Were you ever that good a putter that your recent performance was an aberration? Because I don't think ive seen you sink as many putts as you think you should have.

Not sure I fully understand your questions?

Pre form slump (last year) having 30 or less putts a round was the norm. 3 putting was very rare.
Would have regarded putting as the main strength of my game as I don't hit as many greens as a should.

coalesce
22nd February 2015, 02:59 PM
What I meant was that you seem hard on yourself with regards to your putting, but it doesn't seem to me that your putting is that bad - so I wondered if the standards you set yourself come from a way you've played in the past, or just that you are never satisfied :)

cantchip
22nd February 2015, 03:21 PM
38 points today (19/19). Nothing spectacular shot wise but chipped and putted well. Only 30 putts which for me is quite good. Still two doubles though which I need to get rid of.

nadg63
22nd February 2015, 04:29 PM
42 points today, 22/20, (believe I played 10-over the card gross), today I got a shot back to play off of 16 but that will be gone again next week! Last I saw I was leading the Sunday Comp, bonus! :)

For a change everything about my game seemed to be a bit better than average today, driving wasn't wayward, (hitting most fairways), irons were accurate and even if they weren't I managed to scramble it for a score with reasonable putting.

In fact the only downer for the game was getting a single point on each of 17 and 18, #17 - dodgiest drive of the day, good iron recovery, pulled wedge in to bunker, out and a 2-putt. #18 - good drive, tried to be greedy with my iron shot resulting in the ball ending up in a tree lined dip, ball laying on stick, next shot skewed off right in to a ditch, punch shot out, 2-putts.

Coalesce also had a good day, 37 points - with NO double bungers Benno_r! ;-)

highballin
22nd February 2015, 05:15 PM
Good work Nadg and Coalesce:)

benno_r
22nd February 2015, 05:41 PM
Well done lads, some great shooting there, especially at a shot a hole or less!!!

nadg63
22nd February 2015, 08:15 PM
Good work Nadg and Coalesce:)

Well done lads, some great shooting there, especially at a shot a hole or less!!!

Cheers guys :-)

Forgot to mention thar Jasonb also had a good day, coming in with 34 points.

benno_r
22nd February 2015, 09:58 PM
Played Darwin today Single Stab.

Hot and humid all morning, hit by some monsoon rain for the last 2 holes.

Started poorly - wiped the first playing down the left for my fade and hitting a beautiful draw into the boondies. Spent a few shots chopping it out - wipe. Second hole aimed the 3w down the middle, beautiful draw into someones pool for a reload - another wipe.

From there, some fairly conisitent golf until the 16th, a fairly even split of pars and birdies. Managed to make 17pts by the turn. Fairly solid off the tee, irons were acceptable, and putting was pretty good.

16th at Darwin is my Arch nemesis - as a fade player, there is no shot I have into the green (180m par 3), as there is a tree 50m off the tee that blocks out half the green. Right is all OB. As usual clipped the tree into some boondies, chopped it around to get out for a wipe. 17 was long into the wind (and wet) for a point. 18th it was bucketting down, had the shits still from 16. Smashed a drive, smashed a hybrid, and just missed the green with the PW. Bumped a hybrid to a foot for a tap in par. Happy days.

17/15 32 (90/76)
5/14 FIR (though another 5 were within 2m of the fairway)
3/18 GIR (rubbish)
1 sand save
31 putts

DSR was 74, so another flag bumped me down 0.1 to 12.8.

Hatchman
22nd February 2015, 09:58 PM
What I meant was that you seem hard on yourself with regards to your putting, but it doesn't seem to me that your putting is that bad - so I wondered if the standards you set yourself come from a way you've played in the past, or just that you are never satisfied :)

High standard set from repeatable numbers in the high 20's per round.
I don't have an expectation to get every thing but do expect a certain ratio within a certain range.

To play to and maintain the hcp around 4-5-6 I need to be a better than average putter to off set my erratic tee to green game.

Yesterday's lip fest was just one of those days. These didn't just touch the edge they grabbed a bit of the hole coming out at angle or L shape.
If 2 or 3 dropped (not expecting all) puts me right around hcp and high 20's putts for the day and for me normal.

Hatchman
22nd February 2015, 10:03 PM
42 points today, 22/20, (believe I played 10-over the card gross), today I got a shot back to play off of 16 but that will be gone again next week! Last I saw I was leading the Sunday Comp, bonus! :)

For a change everything about my game seemed to be a bit better than average today, driving wasn't wayward, (hitting most fairways), irons were accurate and even if they weren't I managed to scramble it for a score with reasonable putting.

In fact the only downer for the game was getting a single point on each of 17 and 18, #17 - dodgiest drive of the day, good iron recovery, pulled wedge in to bunker, out and a 2-putt. #18 - good drive, tried to be greedy with my iron shot resulting in the ball ending up in a tree lined dip, ball laying on stick, next shot skewed off right in to a ditch, punch shot out, 2-putts.

Coalesce also had a good day, 37 points - with NO double bungers Benno_r! ;-)

Some nice scoring there.

nadg63
23rd February 2015, 06:29 PM
Some nice scoring there.

Good enough to win me the Comp - winnings straight in to my Pro Shop account :-)

coalesce
23rd February 2015, 06:34 PM
Good enough to win me the Comp - winnings straight in to my Pro Shop account :-)

Do they actually have accounts or just lots of bits of paper? I've got some balls to collect I think...

nadg63
23rd February 2015, 07:39 PM
Do they actually have accounts or just lots of bits of paper? I've got some balls to collect I think...

Lots of bits of paper still I believe!

Btw: you can add another ball to your winnings from Sunday :-)

coalesce
23rd February 2015, 08:12 PM
Lots of bits of paper still I believe!

Btw: you can add another ball to your winnings from Sunday :-)

They don't sell blue balls tho

nadg63
23rd February 2015, 08:43 PM
They don't sell blue balls tho

Now that's surprising ;-)

mrbluu
24th February 2015, 02:33 PM
So I'm moonlighting for another club for Pennant and played my second game on the weekend. Started out by hitting into a tree from off the tee on the only par 5 on the course still leaving me 400m+ in the the green. I then topped my next 2 3woods and then hit a hybrid to get me back into play. Bladed my approach over the back and didn't chip it in and conceded the hole to my opponent. Next hole he hits it into the trees so he chips out. I'm in the middle of the fairway and with 8 iron in my hand and made double after a good swing, cos I missed read the wind caught a bad break with lie and made a mess of things from there and he won the hole with a bogey.

Nice 6 iron to about 20 feet and I holed it for birdie and then I win the next one as well, to get back to even. We trade holes all day with only 5 halves. I was 2 up with 3 to play and make the mess of 16 with got him 1 down. I smoked driver down 17 and he carved one right still leaving him a clear shot the green and hits it to about 15 feet. I hit my shot to about 30 feet away and left the putt 2 rolls shot in the heart, but got a rock solid 4 and he missed the putt so we move onto the 18.

He hits a shitty drive which the wind catches and pushes back into the fairway leaving him an open shot. I hit another good drive but started it a touch left with a little draw (only draw I hit all day) and the wind takes it all the way into the trees. I had a shot but needed hit a massive 40m hook with a 7iron around the trees, which I flushed but still left me 22m (yes I lasered it) short to a front pin. He knocks his approach it to about 15feet to have an attempt at birdie and win the hole, but should be an easy par at worse. Now I wasn't nervous all day until 17 as I didn't want to let the lead slip. I was able to keep the shitty thoughts out of my mind and execute a perfect chip with a 58* to about 3feet. He missed his putt leaving me a slight left to right down hill putt to win it. I got through my normal routine, no m.ore no less and knocked it in. Its a very nice feeling to get my first win, 1up!!! Our team got done 2/5 :-(

Other things I got out of the game, was my short game was up to the pressure and I was able to put good swings on the club when I really needed something. Also very proud that I fought back from being a couple down early and again at the turn after butchering 9 and 10.

3oneday
24th February 2015, 03:49 PM
How do you play for a club you aren't a member of?

mrbluu
24th February 2015, 03:50 PM
How do you play for a club you aren't a member of?
I joined.

3oneday
24th February 2015, 03:54 PM
That'd do it.

Captain Nemo
24th February 2015, 04:23 PM
So I'm moonlighting for another club for Pennant and played my second game on the weekend. Started out by hitting into a tree from off the tee on the only par 5 on the course still leaving me 400m+ in the the green. I then topped my next 2 3woods and then hit a hybrid to get me back into play. Bladed my approach over the back and didn't chip it in and conceded the hole to my opponent. Next hole he hits it into the trees so he chips out. I'm in the middle of the fairway and with 8 iron in my hand and made double after a good swing, cos I missed read the wind caught a bad break with lie and made a mess of things from there and he won the hole with a bogey.

Nice 6 iron to about 20 feet and I holed it for birdie and then I win the next one as well, to get back to even. We trade holes all day with only 5 halves. I was 2 up with 3 to play and make the mess of 16 with got him 1 down. I smoked driver down 17 and he carved one right still leaving him a clear shot the green and hits it to about 15 feet. I hit my shot to about 30 feet away and left the putt 2 rolls shot in the heart, but got a rock solid 4 and he missed the putt so we move onto the 18.

He hits a shitty drive which the wind catches and pushes back into the fairway leaving him an open shot. I hit another good drive but started it a touch left with a little draw (only draw I hit all day) and the wind takes it all the way into the trees. I had a shot but needed hit a massive 40m hook with a 7iron around the trees, which I flushed but still left me 22m (yes I lasered it) short to a front pin. He knocks his approach it to about 15feet to have an attempt at birdie and win the hole, but should be an easy par at worse. Now I wasn't nervous all day until 17 as I didn't want to let the lead slip. I was able to keep the shitty thoughts out of my mind and execute a perfect chip with a 58* to about 3feet. He missed his putt leaving me a slight left to right down hill putt to win it. I got through my normal routine, no m.ore no less and knocked it in. Its a very nice feeling to get my first win, 1up!!! Our team got done 2/5 :-(

Other things I got out of the game, was my short game was up to the pressure and I was able to put good swings on the club when I really needed something. Also very proud that I fought back from being a couple down early and again at the turn after butchering 9 and 10.

WTF, please explain.....

Dotty
24th February 2015, 05:48 PM
I joined.
For less than a box of Pinnacles?

jimandr
25th February 2015, 12:09 AM
I know what happened. Bluu said he was a professional, and was imported into one of the Melbourne pennant teams.

Your secret is safe with us.

Dotty
25th February 2015, 05:39 AM
On the home games, MrBluu has to bring 16 pork rolls for the pennant lunch.

Sydney Hacker
25th February 2015, 05:41 AM
It's funny playing pennant in Div 5 watching all the players who have played next to no games at their home course. Riverside is a classic.

3oneday
25th February 2015, 07:40 AM
It's funny playing pennant in Div 5 watching all the players who have played next to no games at their home course. Riverside is a classic.are you suggesting that the "joining fee" may have been pork rolls?

BenM
25th February 2015, 08:55 PM
First hit out today since Vic Champs, for various reasons.

I didn't have any expectations, and was pleasantly surprised to scrape together 36 points. Had 2 or 3 pieces of nasty luck with balls disappearing just off fairways/greens and a massive lipout for bird on 13. Plenty of room for improvement in ball striking but still managed to post something respectable.

2 birdies
7 pars
6 bogies
1 double
2 wipes, both lost balls

5/15 FIR
8 GIR
27 putts (didn't get to putt on 2 holes) - no 3 putts