View Full Version : 2015 QLD Champs – 29-31 May – Official Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

benno_r
31st May 2015, 05:07 PM
Unification:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e191/benno_r/DSC_0081_zpstdupos7c.jpg

benno_r
31st May 2015, 05:10 PM
You say I cooled I say I never got started... 8 wipes in two rounds is never going to cut it.

Neither is forgetting to take the plastic of some grips and stickers of the faces of brand new irons before you teeing off Sat.

Many fair points there. Although the flushed 4i on 2 was absolutely superb.

And dibs on the irons...

peter_rs
31st May 2015, 05:20 PM
There were some good shots... Enough to keep the irons for a little while

mrbluu
31st May 2015, 05:23 PM
Many fair points there. Although the flushed 4i on 2 was absolutely superb.

And dibs on the irons...
What irons???

benno_r
31st May 2015, 05:25 PM
Also guys, just ran the budget an we are $32 in the black - Coral cove charged us a little less today.

Going to put $32 in the pledger ledger, if everyone is ok with that.

benno_r
31st May 2015, 05:25 PM
What irons???

Fly Z+ with KBS smashomatic shafts.

PeteyD
31st May 2015, 05:47 PM
Nice. So bummed I didn't make it. Well done Benno on organising and winning!

Peppas
31st May 2015, 05:52 PM
Great work Benno and AndyP!

Yes Benno we do think you are a massive ho!

Peppas what's doin!

Too much rage, brother.

backintheswing
31st May 2015, 05:53 PM
Well done benno

mrbluu
31st May 2015, 05:55 PM
Fly Z+ with KBS smashomatic shafts.
Nice in had a hit at Drummond with them the other day.

damoocow
31st May 2015, 06:03 PM
Also guys, just ran the budget an we are $32 in the black - Coral cove charged us a little less today.

Going to put $32 in the pledger ledger, if everyone is ok with that.

You should have waited until you got the bill for all the broken chairs....
Great champs all - and great job Benno.

BenM
31st May 2015, 06:04 PM
Congrats Benno and everyone else. But there can only be one winner....

benno_r
31st May 2015, 06:08 PM
You should have waited until you got the bill for all the broken chairs....
Great champs all - and great job Benno.
We dusted for fingerprints. Authorities will be notified....

coalesce
31st May 2015, 06:09 PM
Too much rage, brother.

Surely you mean not enough?

shazza_rs
31st May 2015, 06:28 PM
Where to start?

Firstly congrats to the winner Benno_r! Well played today with the pressure of last group.

And congrats to all the other winners. I myself won nothing over two days but had a whole lot of fun.

Thanks to my playing partners. Saturday: damoocow, 3puttpete and peppas. Terrible golf bit plenty of laughs were had.
Sunday: 3puttpete (again), sundayhacker and my cart mate Nudgee. Golf was much better and just as many laughs.

Well played today Lager. How you were able to play today after the antics into the early morning is beyond me. Champagne comedy all night.

To everyone that made the trip, thanks.

Thanks to benno_r for all his organizational skills. Fantastic effort mate. You're hired for next year. :)

Peppas
31st May 2015, 07:22 PM
Surely you mean not enough?

I don't know how much more weight I can lose and still hit a ball!

jimandr
31st May 2015, 09:04 PM
So what happened to the overnight leader?

Ok, I have finally arrived safely home after needing a Drive, rest, survive rest stop on the way.

There is a lot to talk about, and many stories to tell. I'll tell some of them tomorrow if others don't mention them tonight. Some other stories will never be told, and the chairs story will become part of the legend of OzGolf.

I just didn't have it on day 2, after I was very surprised to be leading by a few after day one. Handicap farmers, the lot of them! I scored well when it counted on golflink, and all those other sandbaggers only came good in a "social" round.

I started with 3 bogies. My opponents were both under par after 3 and my lead was gone, never to return.

Right now though, I wish to acknowledge the iron man efforts of LagerLover, 3puttpete and Sunday Hack. I know how many beers they consumed, and I know how little sleep they got on Sunday morning, but I don't know how Lager and 3putt turned in 5 star golf performances after all the adventures the previous evening. If those two guys are in the same sort of form in SA in November, Adelaide will never be the same.

I don't know whether this was Best Champs Ever, but this was both the funniest and best golf trip I have ever been on.

Dcanto
31st May 2015, 09:06 PM
Congrats Benno and AndyP. Good to see a great time was had by all and with weather to match.

Lagerlover
1st June 2015, 07:48 AM
Thanks to Benno for organising what was a great three days, and congratulations on your win. Great group of people, lot of laughs.

Big shout out to my roommate for adding an hour onto the trip by having to return to CC to grab his jacket he left behind.

On behalf of Sunday and 3pp, apologies to Jim for robbing him of vital snooze time. On the upside it looks like I've found the ideal pre-game preparation...

shazza_rs
1st June 2015, 10:45 AM
Nudgee was loving the bunkers!

Peppas
1st June 2015, 10:51 AM
Nudgee was loving the bunkers!

Nudgee loves hugs as well

3Puttpete
1st June 2015, 11:21 AM
Golf schmolf, I had a ball.

Congrats to Benno_r for the win. Great effort to chase down the lead and win it.

Well done with the organisation of the whole shebang too. I love it when all I have to do is turn up and everything else is done for me. Thanks.

To everyone who was there, thanks for the laughs during and post golf. That's the point of the whole thing.

Peppas, Shazza, Damo, Nudgee and SundayHack thanks for the fun rounds. Special mention to Peppas who delayed his tee time by an hour Friday and waited until Lagerlover and I turned up.

That brings me to Lager. My almost constant companion for what by the end seemed like months rather than a weekend. Runner up hey? Look at you! I've often heard it said that second is the first loser. Is that fair? Not usually but in some cases it at least gives those who can't quite keep up with normal society the chance to shine, however briefly. Thanks for the lift. Whatever.

I'll leave you with something I learnt about myself and other people on the weekend which might just improve the world for all of us: in future, when Jim asks for a single room, he means one with a lockable door.

Ferrins
1st June 2015, 11:57 AM
Thanks Benno for a great three days of golf and well done on your win.

AndyP
1st June 2015, 12:15 PM
I knew you guys had missed one.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/31/5594cd766accdee3332b8ffebbbc738a.jpg

3Puttpete
1st June 2015, 01:34 PM
I knew you guys had missed one.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/31/5594cd766accdee3332b8ffebbbc738a.jpg

[emoji2]

Lagerlover
1st June 2015, 02:14 PM
Haha

jimandr
1st June 2015, 04:47 PM
It is amazing how much better you feel after 9 hours sleep, which isn't far short of what I got in the three days I was away.

I'm now lucid enough to put a few thoughts together.

Thanks to all my playing partners, who were Sunday Hack, Ploppy Pat, Ferrins, AndyP, Nudgee, LagerLover, Benno_R, Peter RS and Daves. Every round was a pleasure just for the company, and the laughs we had during the rounds will stay with me for a while.

I also saw some good golf in parts from just about all the abovenamed, but special mention obviously goes to Benno_R for performing when it counted. I recall some of his early posts as a shot per hole golfer with a massive push slice. He's got rid of that for the most part, and he's now a shot every second hole player who still has a few handicap reductions in him.

I struggled a bit with the lack of sleep, but I think I was better off for being in the centre of the action and the subject of some of the jokes. It was certainly funnier being where I was rather than being on the outside looking (and listening) in.

I'll tell one golf story, which I should have told on Sunday afternoon around the table, but the time wasn't right. Why didn't I win after holding the overnight lead? Here's why. On the long drive 6th my drive was (naturally) a long way behind the long drive, but on the fairway. I hit a worm burner with my next, which wasn't a good shot, but would've gone into a Ok position, except that MY BALL HIT THE LONG DRIVE MARKER. This cost me about 40 metres, and left me with a long shot to the green, which I totally stuffed up and sprayed into the 2ft deep cabbage to the right, never to be found again. A wipe instead of an almost certain birdie, and the champs was lost. So much bad luck!

Apart from that, good times all the time. I hope the NSW Champs in a month's time can reach this standard as an entertainment event.

mrbluu
1st June 2015, 04:49 PM
It is amazing how much better you feel after 9 hours sleep, which isn't far short of what I got in the three days I was away.

Thanks to all my playing partners, who were Sunday Hack, Ploppy Pat, Ferrins, AndyP, Nudgee, LagerLover, Benno_R, Peter RS and Daves. Every round was a pleasure just for the company, and the laughs we had during the rounds will stay with me for a while.

I also saw some good golf in parts from just about all the abovenamed, but special mention obviously goes to Benno_R for performing when it counted. I recall some of his early posts as a shot per hole golfer with a massive push slice. He's got rid of that for the most part, and he's now a shot every second hole player who still has a few handicap reductions in him.

I struggled a bit with the lack of sleep, but I think I was better off for being in the centre of the action and the subject of some of the jokes. It was certainly funnier being where I was rather than being on the outside looking (and listening) in.

I'll tell one golf story, which I should have told on Sunday afternoon around the table, but the time wasn't right. Why didn't I win after holding the overnight lead? Here's why. On the long drive 6th my drive was (naturally) a long way behind the long drive, but on the fairway. I hit a worm burner with my next, which wasn't a good shot, but would've gone into a Ok position, except that MY BALL HIT THE LONG DRIVE MARKER. This cost me about 40 metres, and left me with a long shot to the green, which I totally stuffed up and sprayed into the 2ft deep cabbage to the right, never to be found again. A wipe instead of an almost certain birdie, and the champs was lost. So much bad luck!

Apart from that, good times all the time. I hope the NSW Champs in a month's time can reach this standard as an entertainment event.
Sounds like Benno's title needs to have an * next to it ;)

benno_r
1st June 2015, 05:38 PM

Sounds like Benno's title needs to have an * next to it ;)

That maybe the case. Now the trophy is firmly in my downstairs toilet, I can tell you all of my devious plan.

Step 1 - Pair the unfortunate Jim with the groups loudest/noisiest/drunkiest player...

Step 2 - Continuation of step 1 by setting up a villa with "not the greatest" solo sleeping arrangements

Step 3 - Lull competitor into false sense of security by tieing with him Friday, and going 3 down to him on Saturday

Step 4 - Get a local ring in to play the Sunday, win the long drive, and have him place the marker in the line I knew competitors 2nd shot would be

Step 5 - Calamity ensues...

So if you think my efforts are worthy of a "*" my friend, then "*" me up!! :lol:

highballin
1st June 2015, 05:58 PM
"Step 4 - Get a local ring in to play the Sunday, win the long drive, and have him place the marker in the line I knew competitors 2nd shot would be"

Work of a genius!

Davemason
1st June 2015, 06:15 PM
Great work benno and congras on the win.

Thanks for organizing the weekend I just hope the resort will have us back after the caretaker didn't like the chair art .

If there is to be a next time, let me know an advance I'll work on Bargara GC to have a day at both Bargara & Coral Cove next time even if I have to book out some tee times at Coral Cove on the Saturday from 11am.

Ferrins
1st June 2015, 06:39 PM

We all have our gripes, my eagle putt on that hole hit the hole dead centre and lipped out.

Shane788
1st June 2015, 06:42 PM
We all have our gripes, my eagle putt on that hole hit the hole dead centre and lipped out.

And your awesome laser readings nearly put me in the water if it wasn't for that cart path! Haha

Ferrins
1st June 2015, 07:05 PM
And your awesome laser readings nearly put me in the water if it wasn't for that cart path! Haha

Sorry about that I normally just use the laser for NTP readings.

nudgee
1st June 2015, 07:15 PM
Great long weekend. After playing the last few weeks in cold temperatures in Melbourne, it was weird to play in heat and humid conditions again.

Benno mate congrats on the deserved win and on organising a fantastic champs. Bloody great effort!!

Thanks to my playing partners that endured what was without doubt the worst golf I have probably ever played (yes Even worse that Vic champs).

Thanks LagerLover for all the beers during our round on Saturday, made the painful golf much easier to bear.

And a special thanks to Peppas for the genuinely sincere hug you gave me before you left with your well deserved Naga trophy!!

Let's do it again next year.

3Puttpete
1st June 2015, 07:20 PM

Shane788
2nd June 2015, 04:02 AM
Sorry about that I normally just use the laser for NTP readings.

6.25m?

Shane788
2nd June 2015, 04:03 AM

Awesome picture from the 2nd.

AndyP
7th June 2015, 12:13 PM
I love the overhead view that GameGolf gives of the tee shot on the 2nd at Coral Cove.

Interestingly, the mobile app version shows the same shot with the tide out, as we played it on the day.

Ferrins
1st October 2015, 06:50 AM
28th & 30th May 2016 is the only weekend I have available.

Ferrins
11th October 2020, 11:25 AM
What is the best course up this way Bundy, Bargarra..???

benno_r
11th October 2020, 11:42 AM
What is the best course up this way Bundy, Bargarra..???

Bargara is the prettiest, but suffers from a low SCR. Coral Cove is hit and miss. Bundy generally good nick with a boring layout.

For comp - Bundy. For social, Bargara.

jimandr
11th October 2020, 04:08 PM
More quality thread mining by the F man.

From my point of view, it might depend upon what you want.

As a place to visit, Coral Cove is the easy pick. One good view of the sea, a few challenging holes, and a novelty par 6. But I really wouldn't want to be a member and play the identical semi push up greens three times a week.

As a members course, I'd put Bundaberg way on top. I liked its variety of holes, and the clubhouse looked quite good. Bargara is, again, a course I wouldn't want to be playing regularly. The 240m par 4's and likely 45 point scores to win the comp when the old guys off 40 have a good day would get very tiresome. By far the best clubhouse though.

MAZA68
11th October 2020, 05:17 PM
Played both in recent times, both are quality courses. Bargara is a links style course, shorter but tight fairways and when the wind gets up has some tough holes. Bundaberg is a flat layout more open than Bargara and more length. Hard to say one is better than the other, would depend what you liked.
Apparently good fishing up that way and some good beaches, walking and biking tracks.