PDA

View Full Version : Qld: Capricornia Resort Championship Course 7am Sunday 15/02/15

backintheswing
10th February 2015, 12:09 PM
Any one in the area and keen for a hit in the Sunday comp?

I am on a future QLd Champs reconnaissance mission.

Would actually be an ideal area for QLD Champs.

Friday - Rockhampton
Saturday - Capricornia Resort course
Sunday - Capricornia Championship course

PeteyD
10th February 2015, 12:11 PM
Looking forward to the report.

SundayHack
10th February 2015, 12:20 PM
Yeppoon ain't a bad hit either. Played Capricorn about a six months ago be interesting to see how it is now after a bit of rain. Wasn't in real good shape then

backintheswing
10th February 2015, 12:24 PM
Yeah I have played Yeppoon a couple of times.

benno_r
10th February 2015, 12:40 PM
I love thay joint. In. For champs, cant play Sunday though.

billp
10th February 2015, 12:47 PM
Good location apart from it being in Rocky :).
16 weeks of tech training during the apprenticeship was more than enough in that hole of a place :)

Cairns would be a good location during winter.

backintheswing
10th February 2015, 12:49 PM
I love thay joint. In. For champs, cant play Sunday though.

Think I get what you mean.

freddy a
12th February 2015, 09:55 PM
Good location apart from it being in Rocky :).
16 weeks of tech training during the apprenticeship was more than enough in that hole of a place :)

Cairns would be a good location during winter.
Only good thing going for rocky is great steaks especially at the Ascot stonegrill.

backintheswing
15th February 2015, 01:24 PM
Well what can I say? I would have to say, the course is absolutely amazing. Had about 5 or 6 holes that had that wow factor.

Best greens I have putted in in Qld ever. Full review when I get home tonight.

benno_r
15th February 2015, 02:04 PM
Glad its still in great nick. Championship course I assume?

Hux
15th February 2015, 04:44 PM
I second it as a Champs venue. Been saying it for ages. Accomodation at the resort, there is a BBQ area etc for informal gatherings.

The Championship course is as good a layout as any in Qld.

I played just after the Capricorn Cup a couple of years ago and it was in absolutely mint condition.

Rocky, Capricorn 1 &2 and Yeppoon to finish - perfect 4 days. Heck I'd drive up for that!

backintheswing
15th February 2015, 10:01 PM
Ok finally home. Main reason for the trip to Rocky was my son was playing for CQ in the National under 17 Junior gold rugby union comp. They played Gold Coast and gave them a touch-up.

Back to the golf.

I played the Championship course and it is amazing. Possibly the best course I have played in Queensland. It's more interesting than Brookwater, but the condition of the fairways just holds it back a little. The fairways are common blue couch, with some having some buffalo growing through. The rough is brutal. We were spending 5 minutes looking for balls right on the edge of the fairways.

This course really had it all. Water carries, elevation changes, great dog-legs, strong par 5's. 11 & 14 are 2 great par 3's as well.

The greens were the best I have ever putted on in Queensland. Perfect grass coverage with no rubbish in them. They rolled fantastic. Out of the 5 courses I just played in Victoria, I would rate these greens just behind Victoria Golf club.

I doubled the first 2 holes. If you miss the fairway, you are lost. I pushed my drive on the 1st, and hit a slight pull on the 2nd, for 2 lost balls.

After those first 2 holes, its a little less penal. finished the front nine with 7 pars. And then had 18 points the back.

It would definitely tick every box for a champs weekend. The resort course looked to be in great nick as well. Its more of a parkland track, compared to the championship course which is carved out of jungle. I have stayed at the resort previously on footy trips, and it would suit us perfectly.

Hux has the order right as well, with Rocky on the Friday and Yeppoon on the Monday. Lock it in for next year boys.

benno_r
15th February 2015, 10:14 PM
Awesome mate.

I would agree it is the best golfing destination in QLD. The resort course is typical to its name, but fun all the same. The back nine goes through the bush, and is better than the front which heads over towards the resort. Practice facilities are acceptable too.

The hotel was very run down, but they were talking of fixing it up. More than good enough for a bunch of Ozgolf scalliwags. Pool is huge too, pizzas and Japanese resteraunt on site as well.

Rocky should have all its work well and truely finished too.

jimandr
11th June 2017, 01:51 PM
This appears to be the most recent mention of the Capricorn Resort on Ozgolf, which is why I'm bumping it.

I'm thinking of undertaking the very long drive to Cairns for the Qld Champs, and this course appears to be the only must play course along the way.

But, my internet research tells me the resort itself has closed, and I'm not too sure of the status of the course.

So, BITS, or Hippo, or anyone else with recent information, feel free to provide a status report.

Firstly, is it still open and secondly, is it still a must play, as described by BITS in 2015.

benno_r
11th June 2017, 02:04 PM
This appears to be the most recent mention of the Capricorn Resort on Ozgolf, which is why I'm bumping it.

I'm thinking of undertaking the very long drive to Cairns for the Qld Champs, and this course appears to be the only must play course along the way.

But, my internet research tells me the resort itself has closed, and I'm not too sure of the status of the course.

So, BITS, or Hippo, or anyone else with recent information, feel free to provide a status report.

Firstly, is it still open and secondly, is it still a must play, as described by BITS in 2015.
Hi Jim,

Resort has shut (for upgrades apparently). 1 course is gone but championship course remains. Played there in Jan with Bits and Jazzdog. Contidtion was decent, but easily one of the top 5 layouts in QLD.

I was thinking of driving up too, just to stop in and play there. Trying to drive up to Mackay in July to play Mackay and Hammo. Will stop in for a hit on the way back to let you know.

Edit: come to think of it, and reviewing all the courses I have played in Queensland, it's in my top 3 with Maroochy River and Kooralbyn.

Cheers,
Ben

hippo10
11th June 2017, 10:49 PM
As Benno said, 1 course is still open and from recent reports is in pretty good nick. I haven't played it yet but might venture out there sometime in the next month and give you a report.