PDA

View Full Version : Which course to play in Albury region??

ozbrother
3rd February 2015, 09:35 PM
G'day all,

Driving Sydney to Melbourne soon and staying in Albury on the way.

Looking to have an afternoon round and continue on next morning. So it looks like the options are Thurgoona, Albury, Howlong or Corowa.

Is it worth the extra 45-50 mins to Corowa?? I hear Albury is pretty good and better than Thurgoona in Albury itself. Is Howlong any good (looks like 25mins extra)??

Any thoughts welcome, cheers...

ozB

Dotty
3rd February 2015, 09:41 PM
It would be very hard to get a game at Howlong.

They have about 4,000 members.

ps. :)

Dangals
3rd February 2015, 09:41 PM
Corowa is a fantastic course and would be well worth it. Played there a couple of times over Xmas and it was in good condition. Can't say for albury itself as it's been too long since I played there.

wazandnic
3rd February 2015, 10:04 PM
Thurgoona is just this side of Aulbury and a nice track.

if you have some time to kill (i.e. can spare an hour out of your time) head to Yarrawonga... awesome tracks!

WBennett
3rd February 2015, 10:24 PM
Havent played Albury so cant comment.

Thurgoona has some decent rolling land. Looks like an estate course built in the 90s.

Howlong is flat, tight but fun. And quick to play.

Corowa is the pick so far, but Yarrawonga Murray is probably the best.

If you only want 9 holes then Black Bull at Yarrawonga gets good raps

Hatchman
4th February 2015, 12:57 PM
10 years since I've played any up that way. Very close and in Albury for me it would be.
Thurgoona then Albury.
Extra travel it's Yarrawonga Murray then Corowa Murray 18.

ozbrother
14th February 2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks all - we'll head to Corowa and probably stay at the course.

Looking forward to it...cheers!!

cantchip
15th February 2015, 10:05 PM
Am a member a thurgoona and have been for about 4 years. Have also played howlong and Albury.

Imo thurgoona is the best it's been since I've been here. In great nick at the moment, the only complaint people have at the moment is that some of the rough is fairly thick leading to long round times due to looking for balls. They line planted Santa Ana couch about two months ago and with the summer we've had its taken off very quickly and the fairways are the best they've been since I've been there.

Howlong is always in good nick, it's a shorter course and a bit pokey for my liking.

Only played Albury once but didn't like it that much. Greens better condition than thurgoona when I played it.

Haven't played Corowa but have been told they had great fairways but they have fallen away recently due to money troubles. Not sure how true that is though.

NewyMitch
5th July 2023, 07:53 AM
Has anyone played in this area in recent times? I'm heading there for work soon and should have a day off to play somewhere nearby.

Toxic
5th July 2023, 08:05 AM
Has anyone played in this area in recent times? I'm heading there for work soon and should have a day off to play somewhere nearby. Play Thurgoona

sms316
5th July 2023, 08:55 AM
I gather they're pretty wet atm. If that's the case go to Corowa.

https://tenor.com/view/moist-wet-water-boy-gif-26479659

WBennett
5th July 2023, 02:10 PM
Corowa is still patchy after the floods from what I have heard. Will be right after a growing season.

Thurgoona 1
Albury Commercial Club 2
Wodonga 3 (haven't played there in 20 years though so it may not even exist!)

Toxic
5th July 2023, 02:26 PM
Corowa is still patchy after the floods from what I have heard. Will be right after a growing season.Thurgoona 1Albury Commercial Club 2Wodonga 3 (haven't played there in 20 years though so it may not even exist!) Wodonga still there and slowly improving

NewyMitch
5th July 2023, 08:33 PM
Thanks gents, is it worth the drive over to Yarrawonga?

Toxic
6th July 2023, 12:01 AM
Thanks gents, is it worth the drive over to Yarrawonga? Blackbull and the Murray course at Yarra both better than Thurgoona

LeftyHoges
14th July 2023, 12:20 AM
Black Bull. Don't worry about any others.

NewyMitch
18th July 2023, 07:36 AM
I played Black Bull yesterday. I was a bit underwhelmed due to the repetitive nature of the course. Lots of straight 350-390m par 4's with fairway bunkers, some with a hazard on one side or another. A dogleg or two would have been nice. Overall the course was in good nick and the facilities are very nice.

3Puttpete
18th July 2023, 11:22 AM
I played Black Bull yesterday. I was a bit underwhelmed due to the repetitive nature of the course. Lots of straight 350-390m par 4's with fairway bunkers, some with a hazard on one side or another. A dogleg or two would have been nice. Overall the course was in good nick and the facilities are very nice.

Don’t worry about that, did you sit on the bull?

NewyMitch
18th July 2023, 03:31 PM
Don’t worry about that, did you sit on the bull? No, I didn't have anyone to take a photo for proof 😔

Toxic
18th July 2023, 06:37 PM
I played Black Bull yesterday. I was a bit underwhelmed due to the repetitive nature of the course. Lots of straight 350-390m par 4's with fairway bunkers, some with a hazard on one side or another. A dogleg or two would have been nice. Overall the course was in good nick and the facilities are very nice. Which tees did you play off?

WBennett
18th July 2023, 06:43 PM

Exactly what I thought of it from the one up tees. Bunkers both sides at driving distance, bugger all variation in elevation to compensate how straight every hole is.

Severely overrated and very, very predictable.

Toxic
18th July 2023, 08:29 PM
Exactly what I thought of it from the one up tees. Bunkers both sides at driving distance, bugger all variation in elevation to compensate how straight every hole is.Severely overrated and very, very predictable. It's a completely different course from the back markers, the forward tees are design for pace of play imho

NewyMitch
18th July 2023, 09:18 PM
It's a completely different course from the back markers, the forward tees are design for pace of play imho I was playing off the black markers.