PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone insure their sticks?

GuyIncognito
3rd February 2015, 09:27 PM
Looking for some general comments here.

Been thinking about how much it would cost to replace my sticks (and shaking my head in disbelief) should anything happen to them...

I'm not big on insurance but it would really burn me to have to shell out a tonne of cash and be without clubs that fit for ages...

I'm thinking if anything happens at home (stolen, fire, drop an anvil on them etc) home and contents insurance will pay out - but do I need to itemise them separately or anything?

Also, say I finish my round at my club, chuck the clubs on the verandah, go in for a beer or seventeen, come back and they're gone, I'm guessing the club has insurance that covers that sort of thing? - but if I had to guess it wont be anywhere near what I'd need to replace my gear from top to bottom...

Finally, I'm pretty sure my travel insurance will only cover up to say $2k or something should they get stolen/broken in transit...

Has anyone had any experience with theirs getting nicked from a club? - anyone insure theirs standalone somehow?

Cheers
GI

Yossarian
3rd February 2015, 09:28 PM
Do you have golflink or a club membership? If so I am pretty sure they are already insured.

Grunt
3rd February 2015, 09:31 PM
Can you insure them for not living up to expectation?

Micdeez
3rd February 2015, 09:35 PM
Can you insure them for not living up to expectation?

Gold :lol:

Dotty
3rd February 2015, 09:38 PM
GA membership (through your club membership) covers this. Some of our members have claimed this, for clubs stolen from the car at home. The proshop ordered replacements and the excess was $500 (I think).

My car insurance is limited to somewhere between $200 and $500 for contents.

I'm pretty sure my home insurance would cover the clubs, as they were factored into the calculation of the value of the contents.

LarryLong
3rd February 2015, 09:40 PM
Home contents insurance will cover them at home, but if you have a particularly large collection or an expensive set you should keep a receipt and take some photos of them. Insurance assessors like to see some proof.

I think Yoss is right about golflink/club coverage.

I nearly had cause to find out about car insurance coverage, but my old man surprised the thieves in the car park of his pub one night back in the day and they dropped the golf clubs and ran off with the car stereo. That was a bugger, I was keen for a new set of sticks.

markTHEblake
3rd February 2015, 10:05 PM
Do you have golflink or a club membership? If so I am pretty sure they are already insured.
No longer true.
Golf clubs have the option of paying a higher amount for that insurance and many don't, opting only for the basic package which is public liability. My understanding this is because they were paying out so much money for golf clubs stolen from boots of cars in the car parks.

IMO the biggest risk for golfers is some yobbo walking off with them while you have in the bog, having a beer, or perving at the pro shop lady. And reading insurance policies, that seems to be definitely not covered. most will say something like "exceptions: leaving unattended in a public place".

i have looked into adding clubs to my home insurance, and seems not worth it, given the likelyhood they wont pay up. For a start if you want to make a claim you are going to have to prove ownership, how many of you lot have any invoice for any of your gear? :-)

Yossarian
3rd February 2015, 10:07 PM
Tldr, but probably believe blakey. My areas of expertise are trolling and turtles.

markTHEblake
3rd February 2015, 10:24 PM
this is what we pay for with our membership. note the reference to a silver and gold coverage.
http://www.australiangolfinsurance.com/clubs/personal/

i have noticed that at least one of my local clubs advertise that affiliation fees are $75 but i know mine are only $50 (give or take a couple of bucks). The insurance probably explainds the difference.

GuyIncognito
3rd February 2015, 11:03 PM
Seems I just better not lose them then... :(

mrbluu
4th February 2015, 12:27 AM
Seems I just better not lose them then... :(
Buy ozgolf not retail mate ;).

I'm no longer fussed about loosing my clubs. I tend to buy second hand and rebuild them to my specs so it wouldn't cost me too much to replace.

simmsy
4th February 2015, 12:46 AM
i had a handful of clubs taken out of my garage a couple of years back, i was doing a clean out, went around the back to the shed came back to the garage and clubs were gone.
home&contents insurance covered it all no questions asked.

GuyIncognito
4th February 2015, 09:14 AM
Buy ozgolf not retail mate ;).

I'm no longer fussed about loosing my clubs. I tend to buy second hand and rebuild them to my specs so it wouldn't cost me too much to replace.

Whilst this is the logical option, I've already dug my hole so it doesn't help :)

If receipts are required to make a claim, how does anyone ever claim anything? - who keeps receipts for carpet, lounges, ceiling fixtures etc etc - is there no way to do agreed value ?

Captain Nemo
4th February 2015, 09:17 AM
Like Dotty said, our club covers my sticks anywhere throughout Australia bar the Locker Room (leave at own risk)!
I had my car stolen with the sticks in the boot from the club carpark years ago and got back way over what they where worth.

3oneday
4th February 2015, 09:31 AM
Whilst this is the logical option, I've already dug my hole so it doesn't help :)

If receipts are required to make a claim, how does anyone ever claim anything? - who keeps receipts for carpet, lounges, ceiling fixtures etc etc - is there no way to do agreed value ?photos or videos.

That's what my insurance company told me, just video your TV's etc or photograph them and save them online somewhere.

Coldtopper
4th February 2015, 10:33 AM
Wouldn't getting your sticks stolen just give you an excuse to getting a new set regardless of the cost. Any good "Ho" will tell you that you need the replacement cost of a new set at hand just in case......

talbo
4th February 2015, 10:48 AM
photos or videos.

That's what my insurance company told me, just video your TV's etc or photograph them and save them online somewhere.

I was told the same thing by insurance about my guitars.

FuzzyJuzzy
4th February 2015, 01:26 PM
My sticks are covered under Home&Contents - although should probably update their value. Thanks, OzGolf Pro Shop:).
If I practice before/after work I have my clubs in the boot and I leave my car in the carpark at the train station. I shudder to think what would happen if my car got stolen...not so much for the car, but for the precious cargo stashed in the boot:). It'd be tragic:(.

jocker
4th February 2015, 02:50 PM
Your home and contents insurance might be an option. Or your car insurance if they are in the boot.

I have a mate who knows a guy who knows a guy if you want to let me know where you want to leave them...

jimandr
4th February 2015, 05:02 PM
Your home and contents insurance might be an option. Or your car insurance if they are in the boot.

I have a mate who knows a guy who knows a guy if you want to let me know where you want to leave them...

I've been waiting for someone to steal my car for years, ever since someone keyed one side and destroyed any value it had. Insured for way more than replacement value.

The trouble with valuing golf clubs, as expressed by GI, is that the insurer will give you retail value, if that. As we all know, TM and Callaway drivers last about three months before the new model comes out and their value plummets. Even worse than that for you shaft ho's, because no insurance company will pay the value of your $300 after-market shaft unless you can prove it.

All of those comments are dependent on the fine print though. New for old, and all of that stuff. Some do it, some don't. I put a $1000 excess on my home contents policy, so my insurance isn't going to help me anyway.

FuzzyJuzzy
4th February 2015, 06:07 PM
Could you picture one of the massive OzGolf JDM junkies firing up at an insurance claim person about their JDM driver shaft that just got nicked costing seven hundy? I'd love to listen in on that rant as the insurer tries to shaft - awesome pun, intended, of course - the dude.
On the flip side, I know a bloke whose garage got burgled and his old daggy sticks getting nicked, and the payout amount for his clubs covered him for a full bag upgrade.

IanO
5th February 2015, 07:07 AM
I have an inventory app on my phone with a list of my clubs and pictures and replacement cost. My insurance company assured me that this is enough to cover them.

BenM
5th February 2015, 08:17 AM
I am sure that I remember my H&C insurance offered me the option of cover for 'sporting goods' which covered golf clubs while up at the golf club, can't remember how much it was but not that much I don't think.

Also think I declined because I'm a tightwad and said I wouldn't let them out of my sight!

markTHEblake
5th February 2015, 08:20 AM
You don't need reciepts, valuation letter from the lies a golf professional would also be enough. I have always been meaning to get one from my club maker. Check the policy where it tells you so.

Scifisicko
5th February 2015, 09:43 AM
http://www.lakesidegc.com.au/upload/wysiwyg/portal.homePage/Golf_Equipment_Policy%5B1%5D.pdf
This is the GA policy through sportscover.
~$6 per member and paid as part of annual subs. Excess on claims is $500.
Clubs nicked while unattended are covered. They send you to Drummond to get your gear replaced.

jocker
5th February 2015, 09:59 AM
I have an inventory app on my phone with a list of my clubs and pictures and replacement cost. My insurance company assured me that this is enough to cover them.

+1 take pictures in your house, it is a basic thing, but it really strenghtens your case if you don't have receipts

markTHEblake
5th February 2015, 01:51 PM
http://www.lakesidegc.com.au/upload/wysiwyg/portal.homePage/Golf_Equipment_Policy%5B1%5D.pdf This is the GA policy through sportscover. ~$6 per member and paid as part of annual subs. Excess on claims is $500. Clubs nicked while unattended are covered. They send you to Drummond to get your gear replaced. I will go out on a limb (because I have no proof) and declare: no way that $6 a year covers your golf equipment for loss. There are two levels of cover under the Sportcover policy you refer too, Public liability, and for a higher premium. Public liability and Equipment. $6 seems obviously only the PL cover.

Scifisicko
5th February 2015, 02:54 PM
Yeah, it seems cheap but you are out on a limb. The club has two GA policies through sportscover, Sports Equipment Insurance and General Liability. Its 6 bucks per member (total) for both policies. There is no excess on the general liability and we have done quite a few windscreens. We moved providers from another mob a few years ago. They were about $20 per member.