PDA

View Full Version : 2004 POTY

McMw
19th July 2004, 10:07 AM
With Lefty and Els coming short again, I'm guessing Player Of The Year Awards is still up for grabs.

Who's in the running???
Lefty???
Els???
VJ???
Tiger (doubt it)???

AndyP
19th July 2004, 10:20 AM
Todd Who. :wink:

drunken
19th July 2004, 10:26 AM
at this stage I'd say Lefty.

Still a few months to go yet but

Jarro
19th July 2004, 10:27 AM
gotta be Lefty or VJ hasn't it :?

don't they sorta go by the money list for this sort of thing :?:

Iain
19th July 2004, 10:40 AM
It's not just the Money List, it's voted by the players.

I think Phil would be favourite, as he has contested in every major, and won a couple of other tournament's also, vj hasn't really been there in the majors.

Unless Tiger wins the last major and a few tournaments at the end of the year I don't think it will be him.

Iain

Fishman Dan
19th July 2004, 10:43 AM
Ah, sorry to rain on this parade.. but it's July?!

Regardless, and hate to admit it - but Mickleson..

Oh woe is golf if he's at the forefront... :roll:

Iain
19th July 2004, 10:55 AM
Ah, sorry to rain on this parade.. but it's July?!

Regardless, and hate to admit it - but Mickleson..

Oh woe is golf if he's at the forefront... :roll:

Why's that Fishy??

Jarro
19th July 2004, 10:58 AM
not a fan of lefty then Fishy :-k

Fishman Dan
19th July 2004, 11:08 AM
I just don't think he's an inspirational player, though must admit his performances at this years major's have been stellar, and he is putting some justification to the hype.

Up until The Open i wasn't convinced he could play outside the US, which has now been sufficiently proven. But most of all i think he adds to the over-hyped American "IN THE HOLE" galleries, which detract from the game.

It's always good watching The Open because the crowds are there to watch pure golf, and not scream out the moment titanium touches the ball..

Iain
19th July 2004, 11:20 AM
But most of all i think he adds to the over-hyped American "IN THE HOLE" galleries, which detract from the game.

It's always good watching The Open because the crowds are there to watch pure golf, and not scream out the moment titanium touches the ball..
But it not his fault that the Galleries yell out, is it?

He doesn't dictate how popular he is? Or how moronic the portions of crowd that does yell out are? :?: :roll:

McMw
19th July 2004, 12:07 PM
Yeh – Lefty surprised me with how well he played at the Open…
His shot making was fantastic, and they did say that he had an advantage being a lefty as well…

I would have to (at this stage of the year) give it to Lefty tho, only becoz he has won the Major, and has now got 3 top3s in 3 majors!!!

Vj has won 3 times this year???
Apart from that, he hasn't really been in contention at the 3 majors...
Steam's puffing out I reckon!!! :lol:

nick
19th July 2004, 02:43 PM
Ernie is managing to be 3rd on the US tour money leaders and 1st (I think) on the Euro tour money leaders, he has come 2nd twice in the majors (out of three) and a pretty commendable finish in the US Open considoring his 80 in the last round, he was the first player since 1997 not named Tiger Woods to be the favourite for a major and has come very close to de-throttling Tiger at the top of the world rankings, all this and winning tournaments around the world. He gets my vote.

Nick

hackin jim
19th July 2004, 03:20 PM
Does anyone think Adam Scott would be in contention :?:

I think if he won the US PGA he should be in with a show given his TPC and Booz Allen win :roll: But I guess for him to even contend in the US PGA would be a big turnaround in his '04 major form so winning it may be a bit of a stretch :(

Outside of my Scott miracle I doubt the tour players would go past Phil :wink: His 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the majors coupled with a couple of wins will take some beating.

Fishman Dan
19th July 2004, 03:21 PM
Does anyone think Adam Scott would be in contention :?:

I think if he won the US PGA he should be in with a show given his TPC and Booz Allen win :roll: But I guess for him to even contend in the US PGA would be a big turnaround in his '04 major form so winning it may be a bit of a stretch :(

Outside of my Scott miracle I doubt the tour players would go past Phil :wink: His 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the majors coupled with a couple of wins will take some beating.

Consistency is the key. That's where Els, Lefty and Vijay have him.

McMw
19th July 2004, 03:23 PM
AS has been like a blip on a radar....he shows up now and then, but often goes off radar!!! :lol:

He'll prob be a shoo-in for Aus Player Of The Year tho... :D

goughy
19th July 2004, 05:04 PM
I'll go out on a limb and pick todd hamilton as pga tour rookie of the year. Anyone wanna tell me I'm wrong :shock:

Funny thing is, he hasn't been consistantly great this year. Only 2 top 10's (both 1sts) then only 5 top 25's out of 25 events.

But he'll win rookie.

Fishman Dan
19th July 2004, 05:23 PM
I don't know how long they've been on the Tour, but what about Hend or Hensby? If either of them are actually rookies, then surely they're in with a shout. :smt102

[Insert PGA Tour knowitall here.....]

McMw
19th July 2004, 05:25 PM
hensby is not a tour rookie...he's been on tour before, lost his card, went back to the 2nd tour, and got it back for this year...

not sure abt todd who tho...I would have thought he's had a crack on the tour before...

goughy
19th July 2004, 06:10 PM
Todd hamilton is a 38 year old pga tour rookie. He's spent his years making a very good living on the japan tour. He's definitely not some out of the blue fluke it winner. He's been winning for years, just not on the pga tour.

He must have decided to come home and make some real money for his retirement.

McMw
19th July 2004, 10:25 PM
cheers for the info goughy... :D

reminds me of Brian Watts (who you say???)

Except Todd Who won the BOpen, and Watts didn't!!!

markTHEblake
19th July 2004, 11:05 PM
I dunno if its just me, but has Mickelsons demeanour changed?

Since he won the Masters, it seems to me he is always happy to be there, even after blowing a US open lead. A constant big dopey grin and he is always looking around at the crowd and just taking it all in.

From memory he used to be rather a unhappy fellow, stopped shoulders etc.

Golfgirl
21st July 2004, 08:30 PM

Since he won the Masters, it seems to me he is always happy to be there, even after blowing a US open lead. A constant big dopey grin and he is always looking around at the crowd and just taking it all in.

No - it isn't just you.... I thought the exact same thing... and I think it is wonderful to see a player who is so thoroughly enjoying himself. :D

I would hazard a guess that unless something astounding happens in the next few months, that the Player of the Year has to be a toss up between Mickelson and Els, and that Mickelson probably has the slight advantage atm with his "monkey off the back" Masters win.

If Todd Hamilton is not the Rookie of the Year, I will be surprised - gutsy effort to take out a Major has gotta seal the deal....

Iain
21st July 2004, 09:13 PM

From memory he used to be rather a unhappy fellow, stopped shoulders etc.

He was like that at the Master's as well, I think he realised that if he didn't win a major the world wasn't going to end, that he may as well enjoy himself out there and take whatever happens...

I like watching him more now, as it's nice seeing him with that dopey grin his face, it's good knowing that he is having fun out there. 8)

McMw
21st July 2004, 10:11 PM
if last year is any indication, then surely Todd will be rookie of the year...

Lefty is super confident atm...and unlike messrs Duval and co, he's only getting better and better after that Masters win...its fun to watch!!! :D

markTHEblake
22nd July 2004, 08:55 AM
I reckon Lefty has POTY by a narrow margin. Have a look at his record so far this year, only out of the top 10 twice i think.

Vijay cant be far behind, though he has played more events.

Els has only played 10-11 events, bbut his record is almost as good as Mick's. If they go on average rather than overall then he might just have his nose in front.